Sponsored by:

Garage Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Fumes

Wanted to know if anyone installed a through the wall garage fan in their garage and how it worked out. I don't mind the fumes in the garage but half the house smells and the wife doesn't really like it.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

It has to be better than leaving fumes that upset the wife.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What are you smelling? There shouldn't be anything noxious with a C3 sitting in a garage with the engine off.

If there is an actual smell, you need to determine where it is and where it's coming from.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with Mike. Something is leaking pretty badly to produce a smell in the garage AND the house. Check all fuel lines (rubber and steel) carefully. You don't want to try out your homeowners' insurance!

My recent experience was a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump. Gasoline puddled when the car was sitting. The car still ran so the hole/rupture in the diaphragm must have been very small but it really did raise a stink. I replaced the pump and the two "S" hoses leading to it and now all is well.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i would put in a exhaust fan .they are on a thermostat.but you can over ride them when needed.http://www.amazon.com/Ventamatic-CX1...0910290&sr=8-2
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Possible sources: old/cracked rubber fuel lines at fuel pump and/or fuel tank...don't forget the 'stuff' on the driver's side on many C3's; defective or cracked/broken fuel separator (on fuel tank); bad 'plumbing' on the fuel vapor canister; plugged-up PCV valve; pinhole leaks in the fuel tank [caused by micro-rusting of the tank]; wear-thru rub spot on a metal fuel line that is beginning to leak; loose fuel fitting; defective fuel pump; leaky carb [inside, outside, underneath, etc.]; vented fuel cap on a car designed for a non-vented cap.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Thanks guys. Will look for at those things when I get home later. How long after you run your car does the engine stay hot? Mine (haven't timed it but) must be staying hot for well over an hour and I have been assuming that is normal because of the cast iron block.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

in this weather ,my car is still hot the next day.1 hour is about right.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

My oil pressure runs pegged at 70 when I am not at idle basically. Is this a problem and can it be causing this issue?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Thanks guys. Will look for at those things when I get home later. How long after you run your car does the engine stay hot? Mine (haven't timed it but) must be staying hot for well over an hour and I have been assuming that is normal because of the cast iron block.
I drove for two hours this morning. Ambient here today is 90*F, a bit much for me so I came home. Cool down will take about two hours where the valve covers are just warm to the touch. That is with the hood up in the garage. Leave the hood down and that time is prolonged.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:26 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
I drove for two hours this morning. Ambient here today is 90*F, a bit much for me so I came home. Cool down will take about two hours where the valve covers are just warm to the touch. That is with the hood up in the garage. Leave the hood down and that time is prolonged.
Thanks - just got my car a few weeks ago and not sure what is normal yet. Does your car give off any kind of general "motor" smell as well with the heat? Any problem with my oil pressure running so high? Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Another question - with the gas cap lid raised but the gas cap closed tight should I be able to smell gas very strong? Would think not because it isn't vented.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks - just got my car a few weeks ago and not sure what is normal yet. Does your car give off any kind of general "motor" smell as well with the heat? Any problem with my oil pressure running so high? Thanks
Yes, the car does give off a "smell". I have a minor automatic transmission leak and of course the 1974 does not have a catalytic converter to suppress exhaust fumes. And these can persist even with the car cold. It IS a garage. But as I said above the gasoline smell is gone. Perhaps your Wife is not smelling gas, just Eau de Old Corvette?

There have been a number of threads on high oil psi. I am not competent to say good or bad. Some like the "performance" pumps. But I can quote my owner's manual:

"Readings of 30 to 40 psi may be considered normal during moderate road speeds of 35 to 40 mph with the engine at proper operating temperature."

The pic was taken at high idle and very close to operating temperature of 180*F and you can note the oil psi. Earlier today with hotter oil that psi would have been about the same in moving driving conditions, dropping to 25psi in Drive and at 550rpm (red light or stop sign).

Last edited by Paul L; 07-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

If you just bought your car, you may have engine degreaser and or paint fumes from a detailed/repainted engine. These smells may linger for a short time, and of course are more noticeable if you're not used to them. Make sure they're not gasoline fumes. A gasoline leak is very dangerous, especially with a (non-electric) home water heater located in your garage.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Phlash
Racer

70 is not an issue, but I like to know why. If the engine has been rebuilt in the past, it is likely someone installed a higher pressure pump. Also, what weight oil do you run? A higher viscosity oil (i.e. 20-50 vs 10-30)., will run higher pressure. Like the other posts state, check fuel hoses, obvious leaks, etc. I had pin holes in the top of my gas tank where the tank had rubber to keep it from rubbing. Every time I filled the tank, the gas smell was real strong. If I had a low tank level, it wasn't too bad. I removed the tank, thinking I needed to change gas hoses but found I had tiny holes in the top of the tank. I installed a new tank and no more smell. It isn't bad to change out if you need to. Just make sure it doesn't have much gas in it if you pull the tank.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wheels

Originally Posted by paul 74

What kind of wheels are those on your gorgeous car?

Lance
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by LancePearson
What kind of wheels are those on your gorgeous car?

Lance
Those look to be centerlines - correct? I had them on my Z28 27 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Fumes

Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

[QUOTE=centralcalvette;1578157721]If you just bought your car, you may have engine degreaser and or paint fumes from a detailed/repainted engine. These smells may linger for a short time, and of course are more noticeable if you're not used to them. Make sure they're not gasoline fumes. A gasoline leak is very dangerous, especially with a (non-electric) home water heater located in your garage.[/QUOTE

Engine wasn't recently detailed or painted. I do have a natural gas hot water heater in my garage and was concerned about that. When you remove the gas cap is their supposed to be anything (like a rubber seal or something) or just a big hole the size of your cap where you can literally see the gas in your tank?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
BTGRN75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I seem to have a leaky carb. (inside). When I shut the hot engine off, I can hear it drip. I'm assuming it is hitting the hot intake and then the gas fumes come up through the air cleaner. Stinks up my garage. So I just bought a fire extinguisher and ordered a carb. rebuild kit. You may see me on here in the future after I take it apart and can't get it back together again
Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by centralcalvette
If you just bought your car, you may have engine degreaser and or paint fumes from a detailed/repainted engine. These smells may linger for a short time, and of course are more noticeable if you're not used to them. Make sure they're not gasoline fumes. A gasoline leak is very dangerous, especially with a (non-electric) home water heater located in your garage.
Engine wasn't recently detailed or painted. I do have a natural gas hot water heater in my garage and was concerned about that. When you remove the gas cap is their supposed to be anything (like a rubber seal or something) or just a big hole the size of your cap where you can literally see the gas in your tank?
just a big hole

Quick Reply: Garage Fumes