Sponsored by:

Need to redo suspension on my 77

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM
BillskiVette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to redo suspension on my 77

The suspension on my 77 is pretty well shot and I'd like to upgrade it for better handling as well. I see there are several kits out there from different places. Any suggestions on what kit is the best bang for my buck? Any kits to avoid? I want to bushings,shocks,springs, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

There are a lot of ways to go now. This may not be the cheapest way to go but......

Fiberglass transverse springs front and back in my car, along with fully rebuilt trailing arms and steering parts left me with a car that was fully adjustable in terms of ride quality and height.

Don't even get me started on how it all works. You'll need some really good shocks to keep up with the faster reacting system but beyond that it's all good.

Suffice it to say..........The car is light years better than when new.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:08 PM
BillskiVette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Krystal
There are a lot of ways to go now. This may not be the cheapest way to go but......

Fiberglass transverse springs front and back in my car, along with fully rebuilt trailing arms and steering parts left me with a car that was fully adjustable in terms of ride quality and height.

Don't even get me started on how it all works. You'll need some really good shocks to keep up with the faster reacting system but beyond that it's all good.

That's a bit steep for my budget. I was thinking maybe one of these kits and then the poly bushings.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1977.html

Last edited by BillskiVette; 07-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by BillskiVette
That's a bit steep for my budget. I was thinking maybe one of these kits and then the poly bushings.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1977.html
That kit is better and closer to what I suggested than you might be thinking now. The only real serious difference in in those front springs.

You could do that system and then down the road upgrade the front springs to something "adjustable" later on when the budget allows for it.

It may or may not be important to you but for me?........With todays modern tires and rims I wanted to keep my options open so the ride height had to be fully adjustable without any big effort. The idea that the stiffness is also adjustable only added a little "icing to the cake".
Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

No one has really talked about the main pieces of the suspension, like the ball joints and ends and what not.. wouldnt this be the real first thing to make sure you have taken care of ,,,, ? ?

And make sure you go with quality parts.. I know I just did all my tie rods and after reading some of the posts on here I feel I need to replace all my parts with Moog parts... I just wish I would have done that in the begging....
I went with a venders front end package and now after learning a few things just dont feel comfortable anymore with my front end... And I drive my car a lot.....

Just a thought...
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The suspension on my 77 is pretty well shot and I'd like to upgrade it for better handling as well. I see there are several kits out there from different places. Any suggestions on what kit is the best bang for my buck? Any kits to avoid? I want to bushings,shocks,springs, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I finished mine yesterday. I used the Energy Suspension poly kit for the control arms with sway bar bushings, Moog Ball Joints, I reused my springs since it has the stiffer FE7 springs. I had recently added shocks.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by ptroxx
No one has really talked about the main pieces of the suspension, like the ball joints and ends and what not.. wouldnt this be the real first thing to make sure you have taken care of ,,,, ? ?

And make sure you go with quality parts.. I know I just did all my tie rods and after reading some of the posts on here I feel I need to replace all my parts with Moog parts... I just wish I would have done that in the begging....
I went with a venders front end package and now after learning a few things just dont feel comfortable anymore with my front end... And I drive my car a lot.....

Just a thought...
That's all pretty basic maintenance stuff.

I would hope anyone considering an "up-grade" recognizes none of the newest and latest tech available will work worth a damn if they haven't been all through the front end steering parts, ball joints and bushings first.

From totally stock.....all the way to the best available springs, shocks and sway bars can't do much to keep your car under it's best control when you'd got "sloppy" steering, joints and bushings.

The stuff you're talking about isn't nearly so much about better handling as it is just basic safety!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

I would hope anyone considering an "up-grade" recognizes none of the newest and latest tech available will work worth a damn if they haven't been all through the front end steering parts, ball joints and bushings first.

From totally stock.....all the way to the best available springs, shocks and sway bars can't do much to keep your car under it's best control when you'd got "sloppy" steering, joints and bushings.

The stuff you're talking about isn't nearly so much about better handling as it is just basic safety!!!
very true, but i have seen people put on all the extras and not take of the basic ,,,... Just making sure,... You would hate to have to get in there and do it all again...Like im going to do....
Turns out Im not hapy with my ball joints, so will be installing all new moog now ... I went with a vendor package thinking it would be good probuct...well after reading and seeing a few set ups.. im not happy,,

just want to make sure they are covering all the bases
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by 81pilot
Sorry but with a brand new member and there first posts I would start with step one, making sure the basic is done.. New car new member... cover the small stuff...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Sorry but with a brand new member and there first 5 posts I would start with step one, making sure the basic is done.. New car new member... cover the small stuff...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Sorry but with a brand new member and there first posts I would start with step one, making sure the basic is done.. New car new member... cover the small stuff...
I don't get your point. Making a car safe is the most important thing. Plus just because someone is new here does not at all make them new to cars, the Vette I have now is about the 60th sports/muscle/fun/4x4 vehicle I have owned and I was new, I came here to specifically learn about the C3, I bet there are a lot of people here like that, not newbies to cars, just new here.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
BillskiVette
8th Gear

Not to worry, the Moog ball joints and steering are part of the plan. No worries about talking over my head either. This is my first Corvette, but not my first rodeo.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
wgarneau
Pro

very true, but i have seen people put on all the extras and not take of the basic ,,,... Just making sure,... You would hate to have to get in there and do it all again...Like im going to do....
Turns out Im not hapy with my ball joints, so will be installing all new moog now ... I went with a vendor package thinking it would be good probuct...well after reading and seeing a few set ups.. im not happy,,

just want to make sure they are covering all the bases
Yup! I was one of those types once... It's called '18'.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

I don't get your point. Making a car safe is the most important thing. Plus just because someone is new here does not at all make them new to cars, the Vette I have now is about the 60th sports/muscle/fun/4x4 vehicle I have owned and I was new, I came here to specifically learn about the C3, I bet there are a lot of people here like that, not newbies to cars, just new here.
Again, Was just trying to make sure a new person was informed.. I have seen people on here go right to getting suspension parts and motor mods before the basic things are done like safety items.
Just some good FYI... But thanks for looking out..
Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by wgarneau
Yup! I was one of those types once... It's called '18'.
Just sayin....
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Not to worry, the Moog ball joints and steering are part of the plan. No worries about talking over my head either. This is my first Corvette, but not my first rodeo.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.
This is my first vette too, and a 77 like yours....And man I learn new crap every day with this car...So good luck... you have a ton of great people here with great info....

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
BillskiVette
8th Gear

This is my first vette too, and a 77 like yours....And man I learn new crap every day with this car...So good luck... you have a ton of great people here with great info....

I find that to be true on every forum I belong to. Always good people out there willing to lend a hand or pass along knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to redo suspension on my 77

Quick Reply: Need to redo suspension on my 77