Sponsored by:

Trailing arm rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trailing arm rebuild questions.

I am rebuilding my trailing arms and the new poly bushings are different than stock.
The stock bushings press out and the washers look like they are a part of the bushing. The new bushings look like they will just slide into place and the washer goes on the outside of the bushing.

First, I can see that the trailing arm needs to be supported correctly to press the stock bushings out. Anyone have any little tips for pressing them out that they would like to share? Do I have to support both sides of the trailing arm when doing this?

Second, How well do these poly bushings hold up and work since they are a completely different style? Does anyone have recommendations on using stock instead of these poly bushings?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Poly is simply the wrong type of material for a bushing that MUST flex in multiple axis.

OEM rubber is the best all round choice.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
voidhead1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by builder
I am rebuilding my trailing arms and the new poly bushings are different than stock.
The stock bushings press out and the washers look like they are a part of the bushing. The new bushings look like they will just slide into place and the washer goes on the outside of the bushing.

First, I can see that the trailing arm needs to be supported correctly to press the stock bushings out. Anyone have any little tips for pressing them out that they would like to share? Do I have to support both sides of the trailing arm when doing this?

Second, How well do these poly bushings hold up and work since they are a completely different style? Does anyone have recommendations on using stock instead of these poly bushings?
You can't really press these bushings out. What I did was put the trailing arm into a vice and with a 40 grit flap wheel on an angle grinder, grounded down the washer and flange on one side. Then with an air hammer with the chisel attachement worked the rest of the washer off and then pushed the metal other sleve from the inside out. Other than a little rubber burning smell from the grinding it took 5 mintues to do it this way.

Poly will last longer than rubber but you will get a harsher ride from the poly especially with poly in this bushing. You will feel more of the bumps in the road and it has been debated whether you really increase handling with poly bushings in the trailing arm. Poly pushings in other areas of the rear suspension make sense like sway bar, shocks and spring but to dampen the road a little more ... rubber is best for this bushing. Good Luck ...
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

In addition to the above comments and in answer to your original queation, the inner sleeve on the rubber bushing is rolled over to retain the washer. There is a tool specifically for this purpose. It's usually around $40 to $50 amd won't do anything else so if you can find someone locally to borrow it from, you're probably better off.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a step drill to cut the flair off and pushed them right out, no press.

I have poly bushings in mine with no complaints.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

"The new poly bushings look like they will just slide into place and the washer goes on the outside of the bushing.">>>>>>>>>>>

yes they do, make sure you use the special grease on them so they wont squeak, mine have been in five years now, no problems.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a step drill to take out the old bushings. It worked well. Pollys worked well. Yes, I used the proper grease. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Legacy Stables
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure your sleeves that hold the polly brushing in dont shift around mine do I eather have to pull out the arm and weld them in or put rubber in. I am probubly going to put rubber back in when I pull them latter this year.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Poly bushings will not allow the T/A to flex with camber change as you go over bumps or exercise the rear suspension. Lots of added stress because of this. Good luck and don't go over bumpy roads...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by builder

Mine need done so Ive been asking all the Pro guys and they dont or would never use poly . Im sure the reason they are fighting you so much is because someone above(I use my Uncle the Mechanic) is saying to you don't use poly you'll be doing it again in your life time.
Go stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm rebuild questions.

Quick Reply: Trailing arm rebuild questions.