Sponsored by:

Massachusetts sales tax on a project vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampyre
I'm not sure, but charging tax twice on the same car seems to me, that the state is cheating people out of money.

After all Sales tax was paid when the car was purchased new.
And it MUST be paid each time it is "sold" IN the state of MA.

As far as an abatement, think about that one before you chase it - you will need solid proof that the vehicle is only worth what you paid - but then you will be hosed when you try to get insurance for the value you feel it's worth!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Any state that kept electing Ted Kennedy to the senate for 30 years straight deserves all the taxes they get.
BINGO BABY!!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampyre
I'm not sure, but charging tax twice on the same car seems to me, that the state is cheating people out of money.

After all Sales tax was paid when the car was purchased new.
We here in Taxachusetts consider ourselves lucky that we don't have to pay a fee for the privilege of paying that tax. It costs the state money to collect those taxes, after all.

Scott
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thutch79
Anyone in Mass dealt with this before? I bought a 73 coupe for $5000. I'm getting it titled and the RMV wants to charge me sales tax on 12K because that's what NADA says it's worth. 5K is very much fair market value for the condition of the car, so I'm finding the additional $500 in sales tax tough to swallow. The woman at the RMV said I can pay it now, then file an abatement. Anyone done this before? What arguments work?
Happened to me last Nov with my 82.
I paid $5500 & the RMV lady was 'nice' to me.
she told me she should have charged me high book of $16K, but charged me low book of $10K for the sales tax since I only paid $5500.
An abatement is for exise, not sales tax, & it's onlt for when you pull a car off the road.

But, since you live in Mass, all of this should really come as no surprise though as it's been this way for about 25 years now, right around the time they did away with no title over 10 yrs old needed as now everything needs a title.
It's for revenue, which we all know.

Quick Reply: Massachusetts sales tax on a project vette