C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend a tire spray that won't dry-rot my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Adams VRT. Not shiny, absolutely won't sling off on the body panels. Been using it for years on the same tires, no cracking or any other issues. Awesome stuff.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gq82
I use Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner....it gives the tires a more natural look.

I use this stuff too ..leaves the tire super clean and not greasy /wet looking mess than gets all over everything else you don't want goopy stuff on.

I hate the "WET" look....I would score a car low for just having that nasty mess on tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Mooser
I've been using this stuff called 303 Aerospace Protectant for years now and it's been great. Company makes different products, this is the only one I've used (you need to get by all the "invented for NASA" hype to the important bit about not being oil or silicone based)

From their website
"303 contains no petrochemicals or silicone oils and does not remove the protective waxes. 303 is actually absorbed into tires...."

It goes on, leave it sit for a bit then wipe off, nice and black but not shiny/greasy. Doesn't rub off or drip on hot days
Not available everywhere but usually I get it at the local auto place
My .02
Mooser
The Aerospace wipes is a great product indeed. That stuff also comes in a spray. 303 makes a Speed Detailer that's very good also, and very versatile. It can be used on most any part of the car- inside and outside. I swear by 303 stuff.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Duplicolor just came out with a non-silicone spray that is garanteed to last 5 times longer than the leading tire shine. I bought it at Advanced Auto and works great.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 AM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swear by '303'. I ordered mine from the States years ago. I switch out all my DD tires every winter. Power wash them off , wipe them with '303' , making sure to get between the treads too, and then put them away. I'll do the same when I swap out my my winter tires for the month of July. Anyway - point being the tires are many years old and they always look like new.

Anyone know where we can get '303' in the Great White North?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by couperdecar
Anyone know where we can get '303' in the Great White North?
http://www.wheretobuy303.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spray my complete motorcycle in Gunk silicone to protect it, it's an 05 keeps all the bare aluminum from oxidizing and never had a hose dry rot, have done the 02 Ram engine compartment also for 11 years now, no dry rot on rubber. All the hoses and lines look brand new still,never an issue, I'm sure those other product have great results also but I will continue with good cheap Gunk brand silicone.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

YMMV, but I am among those who have experienced dry rotting tires that were "protected" with silicone based products. Once had to replace a set of Michelin motorcoach tires that weren't anywhere near their life expectancy (tread or age) over this. At >$300 x 6, I won't soon forget. Oh, and they were even kept covered when not in use...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care for the wet look either, I use castroil super clean straight in a spray bottle, give them a minute or two then hit them with a scrub bruch , hose off and wipe dry.
nice black tires and white letters.

as for furniture polish, years ago I worked for the country water dept. they gave us some commerial spray furn. polish to keep the pipe clean in the plants. we would use it on our serice truck paint, it was so slick a rag would slide off the hood.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Citation X
Intermediate

I've been using this stuff called 303 Aerospace Protectant for years now and it's been great. Company makes different products, this is the only one I've used (you need to get by all the "invented for NASA" hype to the important bit about not being oil or silicone based)

From their website
"303 contains no petrochemicals or silicone oils and does not remove the protective waxes. 303 is actually absorbed into tires...."

It goes on, leave it sit for a bit then wipe off, nice and black but not shiny/greasy. Doesn't rub off or drip on hot days
Not available everywhere but usually I get it at the local auto place
My .02
Mooser
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Citation X
Intermediate

I use this on my 69, my Bertram Sport Fish (inside and out) and the bosses 22 million dollar jet aircraft. Nothing better.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting. Looks like the only local suppliers are a marina and a Subaru dealer. You would think that Canadian Tire would be onto such a fine product?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
bozzman3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think tire treatments cause cracking and dry rot,A lot has to with your vehicles not being used.Tires have oil throughout their compound.I was told when a tire get used, the flexing, expanding and contracting moves this oil around and keeps the rubber "moist".Lack of use prevents the rubber from getting the oil hence the cracks.This was told to me by a employe that worked in the tech center of a major tire company.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzman3
I don't think tire treatments cause cracking and dry rot,A lot has to with your vehicles not being used.Tires have oil throughout their compound.I was told when a tire get used, the flexing, expanding and contracting moves this oil around and keeps the rubber "moist".Lack of use prevents the rubber from getting the oil hence the cracks.This was told to me by a employe that worked in the tech center of a major tire company.
Could be, but I think sunlight has a lot to do with it. I put Firestone (I think 480's) tires on my '67 in 1989. Had them on till last year when I put a new set of Bridgestones on. Probably put less than 2000 miles on the car and they "looked" brand new - not a crack on them, at least not on the outside. The car was garaged in a garage with no windows. Now, I've had tires cracked on vehicles wayy too early - Pirelli's in less than 3 years on my DD Jeep for instance.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Could be, but I think sunlight has a lot to do with it.
Sun is very damaging to tires. UV given time will destroy just about everything on our cars, paint, upholstery, tires, etc... Oxidation is another destructive force at constant work on our rubber parts.

Armor All is not the villain it's made out to be. It has no petroleum products in it. In fact, a couple of the ingredients are used in hair and skin products. It's messy and too shiny if just sprayed on. I've always put it on a rag and scrubbed the tires with it leaving no excess product on the tires. They don't shine and look very natural this way. I've been doing this for decades with no damage to my tires.

I have an old set of TA radials in storage that are over fifteen years old that only had Armor All used on them. There is not a crack on them. It is not Armor All or silicone that is causing dry rot or cracking.

Petroleum solvents like lacquer thinner will pull the natural oil out of the tire and ultimately cause damage.

Attached is the material data sheet for Armor All.

http://whatsinproducts.com/files/bra...1338921311.pdf
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Have to try some suggestions on my trailer tires. They usually rot before you wear them out.

Quick Reply: Recommend a tire spray that won't dry-rot my tires?