Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Homemade Motive type power bleeder for $14

Went to Walmart and bought a sprayer - $9 inc tax
then to Ace Hardware and bought a fitting- $3 inc tax
then to Autozone,guy sold me a used top - $2 cash no tax
Came home drilled a hole ,did some soldering,cut the gasket and here it is, a $14 power bleeder that works in about an hour and a half.
First pic is for show,you can't use just the bales , you need large clamps,2nd pic shows how you must clamp it down. Just thought I would share.

Here is a link to the sprayer. http://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-Mas...rayer/13376324
This pic shows the inside. I also soldered the vents closed and flattened the top so the clamps had a place to sit.

For those concerned about introducing air into the fluid here are couple solutions , the top pump is a shorter one I found for mine and I can put 2qts in mine without the pump touching the fluid,you could shorten a pump,the bottom pump is the one that came with the bottle with a plastic bag and straw to direct the air up and out of the fluid.
( I started to demonstrate with one of my Magnum's instead of that plastic bag but I'm hoping to get lucky tonight and I might need all of them.)

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Very inventive..
Old 09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Very inventive..
Thank you , this bleeding process seems to be the most popular.
This $14 unit ,if used carefully should suffice for most guys that only have 1 vette.
After bleeding their car they can pour out the brake fluid ,put some RoundUp in and go kill their weeds.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made something similar, but used a flat aluminum plate for the top. It worked pretty well, but I managed to make a mess when I unhooked it.
I decided at that point that using the sprayer for pressure only, and refilling the master cylinder with brake fluid as needed was a much cleaner process. YMMV
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

reminds of the time i went to kill all the weeds with my pressure sprayer and spent 10 mins walking around the yard squirting the weed b gon on the weeds only to find out when i was done that the weed killer was still in the measuring cup on the front porch.....i forgot to add it to the sprayer....so what i had just done was selectively water only the weeds in the yard.....
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

I do use a Motive pressure bleeder and modified the clamming system that covers the Master Cylinder which works but is not exactly easy to hook up...

BUT looking at the pictures of how you simply modified a standard cap for the master cylinder I know will be duplicating this cap in the next few days...

BTW,, I own 6 Corvettes and 3 of them are C3's and I have to bleed the brakes on each of the three every spring ...

my C2 which has the same design brakes rarely needs any attention.. The C4 and C5 are just a regular maintenance type of deal...

Thanks for the GREAT IDEA...

Bob G
Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 AM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
reminds of the time i went to kill all the weeds with my pressure sprayer and spent 10 mins walking around the yard squirting the weed b gon on the weeds only to find out when i was done that the weed killer was still in the measuring cup on the front porch.....i forgot to add it to the sprayer....so what i had just done was selectively water only the weeds in the yard.....
I think I would have gone to the grave with that info.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Roger, you continue to innovate. Excellent work!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
I made something similar, but used a flat aluminum plate for the top. It worked pretty well, but I managed to make a mess when I unhooked it.
I decided at that point that using the sprayer for pressure only, and refilling the master cylinder with brake fluid as needed was a much cleaner process. YMMV
If you want to get rid of the mess modify your plate inlet.Look at the pic above and you'll see a 1" long piece or copper tube coming through the bottom side soldered to the brass nipple -that's the anti-mess trick.
This tube will keep the level below where the top meets the master cyl.
Then if you release your air pressure from the Motive tank you will have almost no fluid spilling out.
In the case of my $14 unit you would have very carefully loosen the large pump handle or install a pressure relief valve like the Motive has.

When I get a min I'll post a pic of my very old "fancy" unit with the release valve and pressure gauge.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 24695bob
I do use a Motive pressure bleeder and modified the clamming system that covers the Master Cylinder which works but is not exactly easy to hook up...

BUT looking at the pictures of how you simply modified a standard cap for the master cylinder I know will be duplicating this cap in the next few days...

BTW,, I own 6 Corvettes and 3 of them are C3's and I have to bleed the brakes on each of the three every spring ...

my C2 which has the same design brakes rarely needs any attention.. The C4 and C5 are just a regular maintenance type of deal...

Thanks for the GREAT IDEA...

Bob G
Your Welcome and Bob take note of the fluid inlet , to make things less messy drop it down an inch or so,so you have an air pocket at the top. Just curious does the Motive top do this ?

Originally Posted by jcloving
Roger, you continue to innovate. Excellent work!
Thank You , I have fun.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by myk7
I think I would have gone to the grave with that info.
You gotta admit that's pretty funny , not to say I've ever done anything like that.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done that too and was so pissed off
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

As promised is my fancy dancy unit , it has a pressure bleed-off valve and a gauge. Wow ,this one is worth maybe $6 more.
The top is 3/8 steel from an old Ammco brake bleeder and I extended the inlet tube and sealed it so no fluid gets behind the rubber gasket. The original master top (above)has an advantage over the flat plate style in that if it would spring a leak the lip around it would deflect the fluid down rather than straight out.

The larger hose is just a safety around the smaller inner hose in case it would spring a leak ,the fluid would run out the ends,analitus.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

U needed your WIFE to look over your shoulder there man....

but as to the bleeder, just drill a couple of 1/8 holes in the top, and secure with the stock clamps, and take your air jet with the holes in the sides of the discharge...the one typically used for blowing crap off, and hold close enough to the holes, and the pressure will divide itself out....too close maybe blows fluid out the gasket, but you WILL blast those lines full of fluid....

it's how I fixed my '72 here after years of fighting it....

there are several ASSpects of these brake systems that need attention not a pretty tschituation.....

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Thanks Roger et al
Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It was hell bledding my new brakes. I rigged something up to put pressure on the master cylinder. It worked great pushing the fluid. Nothing else worked.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

After using forum members Motive Bleeder...did I start gathering material to build my own....very nice Roger! I'll use some of your ideas! Muddy

Get notified of new replies

To Homemade Motive type power bleeder for $14

Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here. Isn't the "mess" problem an issue of releasing the pressure gently without disturbing the master cylinder? I know that my garden pressure sprayer has a release button on the side of the canister. Wouldn't that eliminate the mess issue?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Maybe I'm missing something here. Isn't the "mess" problem an issue of releasing the pressure gently without disturbing the master cylinder? I know that my garden pressure sprayer has a release button on the side of the canister. Wouldn't that eliminate the mess issue?
The Motive Bleeder releases pressure via it large 5/6 inch screw top...and is exactly what screwed me up as a first time user. I slugged my whole system with air...releasing the pressure for the first time. I made a mental note right then...mine would have some sort of a needle valve release.

If I'm not seeing things...looks like Roger has some sort of needle valve on the side of his unite.Muddy
Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not used the unit I bought.....may be returning it in favor of the homemade unit !

What is it with C3 brakes ? Why won't simply pumping the pedal with a wrench on the zerk do it ?

Quick Reply: Homemade Motive type power bleeder for $14