C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm bolts! Dynamite? C4? Plasma cutter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
One of these days I will make a video of cutting a Grade 8 bolt with a Sawzall and a proper blade with cutting fluid. It really is not that bad to cut them. I have done it many times. With the proper equipment and blades it takes very little time.

I've also used a torch. If you use a torch,take steps to keep the heat from transferring inside the cabin just behind the seat.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ...Roger...

I've also used a torch. If you use a torch,take steps to keep the heat from transferring inside the cabin just behind the seat.

Yep--Hawaiian "Blue Tip" weapon of choice! Quick and uses no blades!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

OMFG! Its a mess down there. My alignment shims were a solid, bent up flaky mess. I had to saw thru the inboard shims. I didnt have a problem cutting, the lennox blades worked well, but I couldn't get a decent angle to save my life.

My trailing arm was actually bent, distorted, around the bushings. I pounded it back into shape. That damn thing weighs 80 lbs. I have the new bushings installed, they aren't perfectly aligned but Ill take it. I actually split the collar with the staking tool in a few places, but Im not too worried.

It took me an hour to beat the shock elbow out. Destroyed it in the process. When I got the rear strut arm out, I noticed they were about 5 degrees offset....as if they have been twisted. The bushings were trashed, metal on metal.

Man, I need alignment shims, shock mounts, shocks and strut arms. Grrr.....this is getting expensive.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scottd
OMFG! Its a mess down there. My alignment shims were a solid, bent up flaky mess. I had to saw thru the inboard shims. I didnt have a problem cutting, the lennox blades worked well, but I couldn't get a decent angle to save my life.

My trailing arm was actually bent, distorted, around the bushings. I pounded it back into shape. That damn thing weighs 80 lbs. I have the new bushings installed, they aren't perfectly aligned but Ill take it. I actually split the collar with the staking tool in a few places, but Im not too worried.

It took me an hour to beat the shock elbow out. Destroyed it in the process. When I got the rear strut arm out, I noticed they were about 5 degrees offset....as if they have been twisted. The bushings were trashed, metal on metal.

Man, I need alignment shims, shock mounts, shocks and strut arms. Grrr.....this is getting expensive.
Can you post a few pics ? It would aid in helping others out with the same problems.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Ya know roger, every time I turn a screw on this thing I want to take pics...but Im usually covered in grease and half drunk. Uploading them takes a bit too. I agree that pics really makes things easier. I promise Ill try and take some before I put it together. I ordered all my parts tonight. I really need to start a tutorial...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scottd
I really need to start a tutorial...
I'm sure that would be appreciated immensely by the next guy like yourself that's needs information and guidance.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

With all this talk of cutting your TA bolts, I have a nice extra set if anyone is interested. Just pulled them out of a parts car this afternoon

Quick Reply: Trailing arm bolts! Dynamite? C4? Plasma cutter?