Sponsored by:

1972 Baldwin Motion Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM
HudsonHornet
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default nice presentation

Think this would be a great story for Hemmings Muscle car magazine. New to this site but enjoy all articles, questions and what's my car worth segments. Looking at a un-restored 66 roadster as we speak. If it comes down to questions about value I'll shoot some pics.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
jrs396
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW.....
Looks very similar to a 1969 we had at our annual car show
last Sunday Sept 28th in which Joel and Marty sent very nice
letters of congatulations and verifications of authenticity.

May want to look into that aspect to protect your investment
May also want to check this link to see how they progressed
from 1969 to 1972
http://cruz21105.zenfolio.com/p1047858392
May have to copy and paste....
Don't think it came thru in hyperlink form

Good luck
Ken

Last edited by jrs396; 09-26-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Well this is now my favorite resurrection story. This is very similar to the "Astoria Chas" story which is another great one. Congrats on this one. I am curious if you have had any contact with Joel Rosen? I would think he would love to hear this story if he is already not aware.

Bill
Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank You Dave Akenbauer, USMC, for your service. RIP.

The man knew his cars. Thanks for sharing his BM '72! Love the updates...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
0Ian@Keen Parts
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by motion/harrell
Covington KY. Had a hell of a time getting it on the trailer. I didn't realize the Hone-O-Drive had a neutral!
Well dang....I'm just right over the river in Cincinnati, I'll have to ask my old man if he knew the car, as that woulda been running around in his time period.

Awesome car, awesome story, and even more awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Totally speechless...

Now that is my kind of guy.

Please, please, please take care of this car. It represents SO much more than the fantastic piece of history that it is.

THANK YOU for sharing and more importantly for keeping his story alive for others to hear. Hats off to you.

Adam
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
motion/harrell
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate it. Bill, Joel is aware of the car and the lady I bought it from actually had it verified and Joel not only authenticated it as a true Baldwin Motion Corvette, but had probably about 15 other pieces of documentation as well! Work orders and correspondence letters with the original owner, and the actual sheet he ordered the car from. I will be at the MCACN in November in the Motion display of I think about 8 or so cars. Hopefully some of you could attend, would love to meet you. Joel Rosen and Marty Schoor will be in attendance as well. I have talked to Joel several times about the car. He distinctly remembers not being happy with the choice of black headers / sidepipes over chrome. They held up unbelievably, no rust!!

Ken, would love to talk to the owner of the 69 you linked below if possible. I have never seen that car, beautiful to say the least!

Yeah, Dave Ankebauer sounds like he was a hell of a guy. I think his sister described him as a "mans man." Always busy doing something and not letting his handicap run his life, head always up. That is absolutely awesome to play the hand he was dealt with, with pride / dignity.

I have a slight issue and hopefully someone can help me out: The drivers side mirror fell out of the door mirroe housing while I was driving. Wheres a guy get something like that? It broke when it hit the ground.

I will post a driving video if it ever stops raining here.

Also, thanks for recognizing Daves sacrifice for us all. Amazing how a car can bring this man back to life in a way!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
motion/harrell
Intermediate

Original owners sister sent me this that she found on YouTube. Maybe some of you have heard it, I had not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dyH...e_gdata_player
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original owners sister sent me this that she found on YouTube. Maybe some of you have heard it, I had not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dyH...e_gdata_player
Got the chills watching that video. Dave Akenbauer is watching over his family and in his spare time is reading these posts and smiling.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
HAHA I 1
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We listened to that song about 50 times when we went to pick up my Vette.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ken, would love to talk to the owner of the 69 you linked below if possible. I have never seen that car, beautiful to say the least!
That car is even better looking in person. A great story behind that car as well, it's now back in the hands of the original owner, Steve, IIRC. It was restored by Kevin McKay at Corvette Repair in Valley Stream, NY. I'm sure if you contact Kevin he will be happy to talk about the car & would be able to refer you to the owner.

http://corvetterepair.com/

Jim
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
motion/harrell
Intermediate

Thanks Jim!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you try to get the hand controlls . Maybe she still has them?

Great Thread

Bill
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
motion/harrell
Intermediate

Great question Bill, and one I haven't asked for some reason, but will now! Thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Originally Posted by shank0668

Sweet vette and sweet pictures!
with the shot of the corvette with the M1911 I gotta wonder if he had just seen the film The Junkman at that point since they did something just like that in that film and that is one bada** looking Vette I might add!

Last edited by Kavinsky; 10-02-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
68vet427
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate it. Bill, Joel is aware of the car and the lady I bought it from actually had it verified and Joel not only authenticated it as a true Baldwin Motion Corvette, but had probably about 15 other pieces of documentation as well! Work orders and correspondence letters with the original owner, and the actual sheet he ordered the car from. I will be at the MCACN in November in the Motion display of I think about 8 or so cars. Hopefully some of you could attend, would love to meet you. Joel Rosen and Marty Schoor will be in attendance as well. I have talked to Joel several times about the car. He distinctly remembers not being happy with the choice of black headers / sidepipes over chrome. They held up unbelievably, no rust!!

Yeah, Dave Ankebauer sounds like he was a hell of a guy. I think his sister described him as a "mans man." Always busy doing something and not letting his handicap run his life, head always up. That is absolutely awesome to play the hand he was dealt with, with pride / dignity.

I have a slight issue and hopefully someone can help me out: The drivers side mirror fell out of the door mirroe housing while I was driving. Wheres a guy get something like that? It broke when it hit the ground.

I will post a driving video if it ever stops raining here.

Also, thanks for recognizing Daves sacrifice for us all. Amazing how a car can bring this man back to life in a way!!!!!!
Awesome car and story !!!!
Did you ever find your replacement glass for your mirror?
I was told that 69 Mach 1 Mustang and Torino mirrors were used.
Maybe 70 also?
I bought 69 mirrors for my 68 Motion Clone.
Hope this help,
Joe
Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Incredible story and car. I love the old pictures. I am wondering if the mirrors were changed at some point. In the first picture in the woods it looks like there is perhaps just a mirror on the driver's side and it appears to be chrome. In the burnout picture it also looks as if there is no mirror on the passenger side. In the later pictures where he is shooting out of the car, the mirror is painted.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Baldwin Motion Corvette

Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Gitiup
Instructor

Wow, what a car, what a story, and what a Man. This country is built on Men of his character. I lost my cousin to cancer from agent orange. He taught me to slalom ski in my younger days and never got to see me in person compete later in life, but i knew He saw me from above. His sister was saving that Car for somebody like you to cherish and take care of, He would be proud...
Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
boatmark
Advanced

This is definitely a case where it will always be Dave's car. You get the honor of preserving it, and his story, for future generations see and learn from.

I missed out on seeing the documents before they were removed. I love reading that type of thing, but understand and agree with their removal. Sad we have to think that way.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 AM
motion/harrell
Intermediate

Thanks again guys. Hopefully some of you can make it to the MCACN in November. This car will be in a group of 8 Baldwin Motion cars. Joel Rosen and Marty Schor will be there. I will have ALL documents there so people can view them.

Joe, thanks for asking about the mirror. Nice vette by the way! NO, I have not found one. Here are the numbers inside the housing:
FoMoCo
17A703 AW
DODB
60348-402

Any direction as to where a guy finds just the glass and inner bracket would be MUCH appreciated.

Ron, I know the car was sold new with one chrome driver side mirror. When these sport mirrors were added I have no idea and none of Daves family members recall. It had to be soon after.

You guys are right. It is simply an honor to take care of this car. It is definitely a special car because of its original owner.

Quick Reply: 1972 Baldwin Motion Corvette