C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, who said they were interested in a set of knock off rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default OK, who said they were interested in a set of knock off rims?

Ive had it with these rims. I had another one fall off today, causing my nose to dive into the ground and crack my entire front fender. The rim was damaged in the inside, its still drivable (I drove it home) but the mounting holes may need some welding repair as they got a bit beaten up. I swear to god I just beat the knock off the other day so hard I was afraid it was going to break. (Abd to add insult to injury, I finally get the tire back on and on the 1 mile drive home, I blow my heater core! CMON!)

Im looking to trade these rims for another set. Im looking for something in about the same shape (not looking for brand new, but dont want rusted out junk steel rims) My tires are BRAND new, I mean less than 10 miles on them so either I keep the rubber or you provide tires in just as good condition. (Nothing more than 2 years old, per date code) The rims are 'Rockwell' manufactured and are in average condition.

I live in Upstate NY and I really dont want to ship these things. My confidence in these rims is really shaken, Im not driving the car until I get another set.

I know this may be a crazy idea, but let me know what ya'll think.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This may belong in the 'for sale' section, but its just as much a story as it is an attempt to trade...mods, let me know if it should be moved.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are they left and right handed threads? if they are not threaded correctly for each side they will come undone
Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Dont put it in the For Sale section, post it in the Parts section.

I had a knockoff fall off my '63 once and broke up a fender on my brand new paint. Took them off, bought the bolt on replacements and never used a knock off again.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Scottd
Drifting

I dont get it.....some people swear by em....
Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
I dont get it.....some people swear by em....
No one in their right mind would swear by them. I had several sets on my midyears before I had any trouble but I was still responsible, according to the manufacturer, for tightening the spinner every time I left the house. I neglected to supervise the body shop who was painting my car and I paid for it.

When I discovered the bolt-ons, I put them side by side with the repro knock offs and you could not tell the difference. There was simply no logical reason to drive with real design knockoffs vs the bolt on replacements. Something about sleeping at night.

If someone had a $10k set of real ones on a 64-66, thats a different animal.

I can't really comment on knock offs for years of cars that didnt actually have them originally. Since they are an aftermarket wheel, I can't imagine there's a bolt-on version.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Ive had this car 3 months and put less than 300 miles on it. I have the wheels off every weekend doing maintenance. No matter what I do, no matter how hard I hit those knock offs, they wont stay tight. How do people run these rims? What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most, if not all race cars I've seen with KOs have safety wire between a spoke and one of the KO ears so it's not physically possible for the nut to loosen unless the safety wire breaks.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

If you need any fiberglass front clip pieces to repair your car let me know. I have a few that I can sell you cheap.PM if interested. Now I know to use stock wheels only

Get notified of new replies

To OK, who said they were interested in a set of knock off rims?

Quick Reply: OK, who said they were interested in a set of knock off rims?