Sponsored by:

Made some ramps today

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Made some ramps today

Jacking the front is a pain, plus...personally I don't trust jack stands 100%, not sure why its just a personal thing. So I made myself some ramps for anything that doesn't need the wheels off. I guess I could always jack up the back and use stands on the back. Solid...HEAVY as hell but solid. Its almost 10" high, looks like enough of a clearance but I left myself enough room to put another 12x2 on top for about 2 inches more.

The next addition could always be full car length extensions...

Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Jay71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nice job !
Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 1-piece RR-56 Race Ramps $178 after factory rebate

Five 2 x 12's stacked together make a 7.5" high ramp. They may be solid, but, I think most DIYers will get tired of moving them around in their garage after a few uses.

Now through the end of the year you can get a set of one piece 56" Race Ramps for $178 (after $25 factory rebate). They are 8" high by 12" wide and you can lift them with one finger.

When you no longer need the 56" Race Ramps you can easily sell them to another DIYer for $100. The cost of ownership for Race Ramps is very reasonable.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woooow they will be sturdy for sure....may be a bit heavy but u got me thinking now, I got some some spare wood just laying around and to be honest with u i just got my vette about a month ago and kinda nervous about jacking her up anywayz,,,,,thanks for posting what u did ....
Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
68sbcoupe
Instructor

Default nice wood

[QUOTE=rafalc;1578849935]Jacking the front is a pain, plus...personally I don't trust jack stands 100%, not sure why its just a personal thing. So I made myself some ramps for anything that doesn't need the wheels off. I guess I could always jack up the back and use stands on the back. Solid...HEAVY as hell but solid. Its almost 10" high, looks like enough of a clearance but I left myself enough room to put another 12x2 on top for about 2 inches more.

The next addition could always be full car length extensions...

I made a similar set. Only difference is that I cut the leading edge of each piece of wood at a 45 degree angle. Made for less bumpity bumps going up & down.

Nice job. 100% organic too.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
McVette
Racer

hey how long is bottom board, and about how much difference in the boards?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

I hate jack stands too but picked these inexpensive ramps up at Advance Auto
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2042_____
Old 10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
Five 2 x 12's stacked together make a 7.5" high ramp. They may be solid, but, I think most DIYers will get tired of moving them around in their garage after a few uses.

Now through the end of the year you can get a set of one piece 56" Race Ramps for $178 (after $25 factory rebate). They are 8" high by 12" wide and you can lift them with one finger.

When you no longer need the 56" Race Ramps you can easily sell them to another DIYer for $100. The cost of ownership for Race Ramps is very reasonable.
Your race ramps are definitely nice, no doubt about it but here is why I decided to make these:

1. I can make them higher if I want to by stacking another board on top or placing as many as I want on the bottom. Yes you are right currently they are 7.5 inches, thats my mistake. I think I will do another for a total of 9 inches.

2. The next step would be to make a full-length 10 or 12inch high "rails" that you can drive onto and your car is off the ground and even. These ramps can be adjusted to accommodate for the height.

3. I have a set or ramps for my daily driver and I only used them once. The constant slope means you have to make it all the way up on 1 attempt. Once you reach the flat top, if you break a little too hard, the ramp slides even with a rubber bottom. The ramps I made give you a nice idea of where you are because of the "steps". You also don't have to go all the way up on one attempt. You can stop on these flat steps. Useful if you want to make sure you are going up straight. I also don't trust the ramps I have at home. There is something about being under a car that makes me want to make sure I am 100% safe.

4. Moving these gives a total body workout
But I may just attach some handles to make it easier to carry.

So these are my reasons...don't get me wrong, your ramps look great but for what I want to use these and for future additions/modifications, these will just work better.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by McVette
hey how long is bottom board, and about how much difference in the boards?
From the bottom up I got 8feet, 7, 6, 5, 3.5

I have plenty of clearance so I probably could have went 6 to 8 inches apart but whats done is done. This extra length may work better if I decide to make full-length rails to go up on.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
I have very similar once I use on my DD. See my other post, point #3 for why I don't like them very much.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by rafalc
I have very similar once I use on my DD. See my other post, point #3 for why I don't like them very much.
Got it - good points but still kind of heavy
Old 10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Got it - good points but still kind of heavy
Agree....about 80-90 lbs each. Great workout for the lower back, quads and biceps.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree....about 80-90 lbs each. Great workout for the lower back, quads and biceps.
Or a bad back...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Is there any difficulty with the ramps "sliding" while driving up/down , with the ramps on concrete?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Is there any difficulty with the ramps "sliding" while driving up/down , with the ramps on concrete?
There are rubber pads on the bottom and I haven't had a problem with that although I have heard that before.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikejpss
As mentioned, my DD does move them a little when I get to the top and have to stop. The breaking force moves them a bit but maybe you just have to get used to driving up them and You'll get a better feel for it.

The 2x12 ones...these suckers are heavy and stay in place. Just changed my oil/filter yesterday. Felt nice and cosy under there. I kept the rear on the ground and with the current height, I could not use a creeper (not enough clearance) so I just slided up and down on some cardboard. Had about an inch from my nose to the lowest part of the exhaust around the oil pan area. I think I will add another board on top to make it a bit higher. OR pick up the rear and give myself more room throughout the entire length. These are definitelly heavy but other than that, very useful. Now imagine making 12 inch full car length rails, driving the car up on them and sliding underneath...now that would be cool.

I saw threads on here of other members making such rails but with a "box" construction, and they make them much higher, probably almost2 feet. I just don't know how much I can trust a box structure supporting the car. I think if I do this, I will keep the 2x12 structure stacked on top of each other. Heavy but 100% safe.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Not at all. These suckers are heavy and stay in place. Just changed my oil/filter yesterday. Felt nice and cosy under there. I kept the rear on the ground and with the current height, I could not use a creeper (not enough clearance) so I just slided up and down on some cardboard. Had about an inch from my nose to the lowest part of the exhaust around the oil pan area. I think I will add another board on top to make it a bit higher. OR pick up the rear and give myself more room throughout the entire length. These are definitelly heavy but other than that, very useful. Now imagine making 12 inch full car length rails, driving the car up on them and sliding underneath...now that would be cool.

I saw threads on here of other members making such rails but with a "box" construction, and they make them much higher, probably almost2 feet. I just don't know how much I can trust a box structure supporting the car. I think if I do this, I will keep the 2x12 structure stacked on top of each other. Heavy but 100% safe.
Think he was asking about the advanced auto ramps. Don't think anyone is concerned about the barbells moving on you
The following users liked this post:
CDN_Z06 (02-28-2016)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Think he was asking about the advanced auto ramps. Don't think anyone is concerned about the barbells moving on you
Yep....I caught that too late. Modified my response.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

As cool as the race ramps are, the cost was off putting to me so I made miniature versions of what the the OP has done to ease my car up onto much less expensive standard ramps.

Mine are about a foot and a half long, made of 4 staggered thicknesses of 3/4" plywood and give me the front end clearance I need.

They were free and the ramps were about 35 bucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Made some ramps today

Quick Reply: Made some ramps today