Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default 1980 C3 Mods

Hey Guys,

I am curious of those who have done mods for this year of corvette. And you ideas for mods. I would like to see my options and start planning.
I don't really want to change the body, but I will entertain ideas for additions. Like a special kind of badge, additional lights, changing exhaust location, chrome accents, etc.

Also, doing things like push start buttons, or HIDs for this year. Whatever the case my be. Lets get creative. Tell me what you have done / would like to do / have seen.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM
JohnnyLT1Runner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before this thread progresses, admit it, you're a ricer, aren't you?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyLT1Runner
Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Additional lights??? Interesting...
Special Badges??? Hmm you could throw on a "Sting Ray" badge or an SS badge.... that would be "special"
Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Hahaha, unfortunately not. I cry every time I see a ricer go by. I mean what is up with those ridiculous spoilers.

Nah, I just want to see what people do to personalize their car. Even if it is as simple as adding an emblem.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Looking at your previous posts, you were still shopping for a car, had found one and had inquired about a certain expert to check the car. Did you buy the car?

Typical exterior personalization may consist of something as simple as a pin stripe, initials on the door near the lock or going for major body changes.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

C'mon, ~Stingray, fess up!!!!

My recommendation is to install one of those big grapefruit-launcher tail pipes, and a great big, ridiculous looking wing on the back. Maybe paint the hood black. 20" wheels with 30 series tires, make sure you order the tires a little too narrow for the wheel to get that "stretched" look. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, lower the car until the oilpan bottoms out if you drive over a bottle cap.

Scott
Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by MelWff
Looking at your previous posts, you were still shopping for a car, had found one and had inquired about a certain expert to check the car. Did you buy the car?

Typical exterior personalization may consist of something as simple as a pin stripe, initials on the door near the lock or going for major body changes.
No not yet. But I was cruzin' C3 videos on you tube and saw a few cool mods. But I couldn't find any really good sites about mods that weren't all about the engine.

So I thought I would ask my community.

I am having the car inspected on Saturday. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by scottyp99
C'mon, ~Stingray, fess up!!!!

My recommendation is to install one of those big grapefruit-launcher tail pipes, and a great big, ridiculous looking wing on the back. Maybe paint the hood black. 20" wheels with 30 series tires, make sure you order the tires a little too narrow for the wheel to get that "stretched" look. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, lower the car until the oilpan bottoms out if you drive over a bottle cap.

Scott
Ya know scott, I like where you are going with this. Maybe I can also get a flux capacitor, huge exhaust vents, and hover package put on too. Then I would need side spoilers too to help with flight control. Not forgetting the neon ground effect lights.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

You may want to post your question under General Corvette Topics, Paint/Body. The changes you are inquiring about are not specific to 1980 or C3's but are much more general. As you can see from the responses, C3 owners in these areas of the forum do not do what you are proposing.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
JohnnyLT1Runner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still can't tell if the OP is serious or not, but I'll give a straight answer.
Most of us here don't throw on aftermarket "look cool" parts, like all this euro trash you see on ebay. None of this emulating other cars styles. No wings. No Dubs. No LEDs. No flames and skulls and dragons paintjobs. Body kits are a no-no. Badges on corvettes are pointless.

The corvette already is unique. There is rarely a twin set among the owners who modify them.
Most stock or factory style mods are the best. Or things from the era it was made.

Make a list. Do each thing to your taste. Check out ecklers, can't really go wrong with anything on there as a mod catalog.

I'll tell you what's done to mine as an example.
Bubble lights on the rear. They are much more modern looking, without taking away from the look. A lot of guys put LEDs in them and have great results.
Sidepipes. Not factory for a 79, but a good look on all C3's no matter.
Rear 80-82 bumper. It has the integrated spoiler. A common switch for the earlier rubber bumper years.
A slim front bolt on spoiler. More streamlined and low profile than the factory on.
Cragar SS wheels. A common muscle car wheel of that era, staying at at 15"x8.5".
As you can see, there's not much you really have to do, except stay within factory styled mods.

Help us help you. Tell us what you have, and what you want to do with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Ya know scott, I like where you are going with this. Maybe I can also get a flux capacitor, huge exhaust vents, and hover package put on too. Then I would need side spoilers too to help with flight control. Not forgetting the neon ground effect lights.
Those are all great ideas, except for the neon ground effects, they are sooooooooo last century!!!!

Ha ha! I am glad to see you have a good sense of humor, and can take a joke.

Personally, I don't really think there is a whole lot you can do to a '80-'82 'vette without it starting to look tacky and "overdone", if ya see what I mean. An L88 hood would look sharp. 17"x8" wheels with 255/50 series tires or 18"x8" wheels with 255/45 series tires will give it a more modern look, while still filling up the wheelwells properly. I think sidepipes are kinda tacky, but that is purely personal preference, (I definitely seem to be in the minority on this!!!) if you dig 'em, go for it! That's about all I have for ya, see ya!

Scott
Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Well, as I originally posted, I am not really looking to make huge mods on the exterior. I saw a video that turned the ash try into a hidden push start button and I really wanted to do that. But it is not top priority. So I started looking around for other creative things that people do with their C3s that really doesn't change them. And aside from engine mods, I was finding it difficult to locate examples.

The extra lights comment was seeing if anyone put some accent lights in the lower grill or something to that effect. I thought if it were possible, putting HIDs in would be nice for betting night viewing (pure white, not some euro tint color). Also, when I was 16 I saw a yellow corvette for sale just like the one I am looking for now and have always wanted (long story, but after taking 3 days to convince my dad to help me buy it and I would pay him back over the course of the next two years, he agreed. I called the guy, he sold it 1 hour prior.) Anyway, it had a very small flame decals (about an inch long) just around the key holes for the doors. Nothing major, you couldn't even see it unless you were right next to it. I am not sure if I want to do that, but I thought it was neat looking.

I am just curious who has done what or have seen. I really don't have any plans for the moment. For the most part, I plan to keep it original. That is why I was asking. But you never know if someone comes up with an idea that just sounds amazing to you.

I'll tell you what's done to mine as an example.
Bubble lights on the rear. They are much more modern looking, without taking away from the look. A lot of guys put LEDs in them and have great results.
Sidepipes. Not factory for a 79, but a good look on all C3's no matter.
Rear 80-82 bumper. It has the integrated spoiler. A common switch for the earlier rubber bumper years.
A slim front bolt on spoiler. More streamlined and low profile than the factory on.
Cragar SS wheels. A common muscle car wheel of that era, staying at at 15"x8.5".
As you can see, there's not much you really have to do, except stay within factory styled mods.
I would love to see some photos of your car. Your garage is empty, do you have them posted elsewhere? Like photobucket?

Last edited by ~Stingray; 09-22-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Are you having that Yellow one you posted inspected? Car looks good in the pics...

But that thing is BRIGHT yellow...you don't need to do anything to it...it's already an eye catcher...

Just focus on making it reliable...and fun to drive i.e...engine mods, upgrade suspension brakes and steering...
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Dose11
Are you having that Yellow one you posted inspected? Car looks good in the pics...
Yes, it is being inspecting on Saturday.

Yellow does stand out, lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of us here don't throw on aftermarket "look cool" parts, like all this euro trash you see on ebay. None of this emulating other cars styles. No wings. No Dubs. No LEDs. No flames and skulls and dragons paintjobs. Body kits are a no-no.
Some of us do

Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As for appearance, already pointed out 80 has the spoilers, so other things like
4 stock or bubble taillights.
Paint- Black works great w/ yellow.
Interior- Aftermarket center armrest.
Wheels or different center caps.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 C3 Mods

Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Well, as I originally posted, I am not really looking to make huge mods on the exterior. I saw a video that turned the ash try into a hidden push start button and I really wanted to do that. But it is not top priority. So I started looking around for other creative things that people do with their C3s that really doesn't change them. And aside from engine mods, I was finding it difficult to locate examples.

The extra lights comment was seeing if anyone put some accent lights in the lower grill or something to that effect. I thought if it were possible, putting HIDs in would be nice for betting night viewing (pure white, not some euro tint color). Also, when I was 16 I saw a yellow corvette for sale just like the one I am looking for now and have always wanted (long story, but after taking 3 days to convince my dad to help me buy it and I would pay him back over the course of the next two years, he agreed. I called the guy, he sold it 1 hour prior.) Anyway, it had a very small flame decals (about an inch long) just around the key holes for the doors. Nothing major, you couldn't even see it unless you were right next to it. I am not sure if I want to do that, but I thought it was neat looking.

I am just curious who has done what or have seen. I really don't have any plans for the moment. For the most part, I plan to keep it original. That is why I was asking. But you never know if someone comes up with an idea that just sounds amazing to you.

I would love to see some photos of your car. Your garage is empty, do you have them posted elsewhere? Like photobucket?
Ahhh, so what you are looking for is stuff like this: The rocker panel beneath the door on 1980 'vettes is made of stainless steel, and is painted black. if you strip it and have it polished, it adds a little bling to the car. Is this more the sort of thing you had in mind?

Scott
Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Some of us do

This great. Not exactly my taste, but wow.

The comment was hilarious.

Quick Reply: 1980 C3 Mods