Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of engine rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Xterrable
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat as well. I know enough to get me into trouble, but not enought to have confidence that the engine will be bullet-proof and reliable enough to give the keys to my wife with no worries.

I have a lot of mechanice friends who say tha tthe cost of a good rebuild vs, create is just about the same. If you have someone that is a Bow-Tie expert and has done a lot of engine rebuilding, then go with a rebuild... If they are a backyard mechanic and you dont mind wrenching every now and again, still, go with a rebuild. If you want piece of mind, warrenty and less to worry about, go with a create..

Me, I am on the fence. My friend has built over 300 small blocks in his year, so he know a lot of the 'old timer' secrets. But the other half says get a create and be done with it.. Which is they way I am leaning. Then I will rebuild the stock block myself to use as a back-up, in my next street rod or as a selling point when I get tired of the Vette.

My 2-Cents
Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM
iandm
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What can i sell the engine and tranny for. Anyway to get more money out of it? I need money to put towards other engine.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just spent close to 6000. heads 1150. cam and rollers 1000 machine work bored and balanced new cranck piston harmonic balance 2000. serpentine belt kit 1500. really depends on what your looking for. dont forget now you have the power time for new gears another 1000 easy
Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the HP in the form of a GM crate engine.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

So you're looking at about $5,000 for a new ZZ4 it sounds like, approximately how much to have it installed?

Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't handle it on my own. I also don't have the equipment or space either, to be honest. So what would installation run ?

I've got a '81, so I'm assuming keeping a matching numbers might not be as big of deal as some of the earlier C3s.. but the engine still runs great...just wish it had a little more guts to it.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
TERRY CLARK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a good time to go with an LS. I'm going that route when it's time to rebuild or replace !
Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I just love the argument of a warranty coming with a crate motor as if you don't get one if you rebuild it yourself. My motor comes with a lifetime warranty and completely void of any parts made in Mexico. Plus I know the guy that put it together....

Quick Reply: Cost of engine rebuild?