Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
VetteHalen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found on Craigslist: 1969 George Barris "Fino Vette"

well, it certainly is... unique.
part Batmobile, part Knightrider...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...750036347.html

check out the gallery link he posted for closeups and detail pictures. (so many buttons, lights, switches...)

(advanced apologies if this beast... uh, beauty... belongs to a Forum member )
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

At least the interior is in good condition!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Well at least he dumped those dam chrome bumpers....

Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Looks like some sort of spaceship/spy car. I wonder what all those buttons with the big letters do (did)?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Flying Low
Racer

Not a bad looking body, Would make somebody a good project.
I would throw out the interior.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

I would salvage the hood and burn the rest.

Horrible.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

for some odd reason, I kinda like it....
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

That's a typical Barris over the top custom. This like most of Barris' "movie cars" and the "customs" he built in that era for lack of a better term are like charactertures of the original design. I guess that's what his customers wanted and to some extent still want today. He has been around for a long time and he's an icon in the "custom" community. So he must be doing something right even though it might not be to everyone's (including myself on this one) taste.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I am 26 and never heard of Barris....
Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm skeptical!! I don't think this is a Barris creation at all! I think it was someone's idea of creating a Batmobile out of a corvette (especially with all the lights and switches). Reading as to why the Finovette was commissioned in the first place, I doubt it would have all those lights and switches on the the dash with multiple screens (not too mention the batman logo on the seats as well)!
Attached Images  

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 12-13-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner

Here is a picture of the #18 Fino race boat back in 1972 with the original owner/driver of the boat. He is the same guy who commissioned George Barris to build a Finovette.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I am 26 and never heard of Barris....
he made the original Adam West Lincon Futura based Batmobile
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_4918-Li...Batmobile.html

the munstermobiles
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_92403-B...ers-Koach.html

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_261362-...Drag-U-La.html

and some god awful looking mustangs for Sonny and Cheer that were put up on the auction block on tv on the speed channel a few weeks ago.

you either love him or hate him, me kinda 50/50 I respect his work for being the first famous customs but I wouldnt want to own one.

to me that vette looks like something that belongs in death race 2000, the real one not the modern one, although I liked David Carradine's vette like car in that one
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6596-Shala-Vette.html

that one looks like it was made for a 4 year old, I mean how the hell are you supposed to drive something with that low a roof?

and I'm 23 by the way, I just happen to be a vintage tv and movie buff.

Last edited by Kavinsky; 12-13-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
I'm skeptical!! I don't think this is a Barris creation at all! I think it was someone's idea of creating a Batmobile out of a corvette (especially with all the lights and switches). Reading as to why the Finovette was commissioned in the first place, I doubt it would have all those lights and switches on the the dash with multiple screens (not too mention the batman logo on the seats as well)!
The interior is pretty cheesy looking not what I would expect from Barris. Then again the Farrah Fawcett Foxy Vette was pretty cheesy as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Roco71
The interior is pretty cheesy looking not what I would expect from Barris. Then again the Farrah Fawcett Foxy Vette was pretty cheesy as well.
I was just going to bring up the Foxy Vette. Now that was one... hang on a moment, ...awful interior.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Roco71
Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
I was just going to bring up the Foxy Vette. Now that was one... hang on a moment, ...awful interior.
That Foxy Vette interior was way over the top!!! But as a kid I remember going to car shows and seeing **** carpet used in a lot of custom interiors in the early 70's! It's hard to believe that people liked that type of interior.....EVER!!!

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 12-14-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

If you were around in the early '70's you'd know that the only carpet you could buy, whether for your house or van, was "****"! And everyone had to have it, too. I liked it then but I don't like it now.
Duane
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

gross!

Get notified of new replies

To Found on Craigslist: 1969 George Barris "Fino Vette"

Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like Iran found another one of our top secret Military Toy.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
VetteHalen
Racer

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
hmmm... perhaps. (although, those seats could have been modified/added by a previous owner in the 80's - that's when that version of the Batman logo began to be widely used by DC Comics/Warner Bros.)

there isn't too much info out there on this "Barris Custom." although the current owner (a woman?) registered it on the C3 registry:

http://c3registry.org/index.php?job=...15249&uid=3809
"Located this vehicle in a field in Fresno. No engine or transmission everything else including the drive shaft is intact and in the vehicle. True to Barris style as you see everything was customized to his specific design. Please note the elaborate electrical work. George redesigned this entire vehicle, this you can see from what you can't see ie under carpet, behind dash, wiring, harnesses, digital dash, alarm system! Chrome differential! I have emailed the Barris Group the Vin# and picture of car as it is now. George Barris daughter responded that the car had been built by George Barris, the was called the "Finovette" also emailed to me a picture of the car, I believe a starting picture. I will forward this email to serious only buyers. The George Barris "king of customs" group has available complete documentation and signature plates with additional pictures for 1,500.00. Which for the person who restores this piece of history should have for historical and financial value of this car. I did some research and found that the "Finovette" was built for Bobby Rautbord (family started and owned Alpeco Company) for all you speed freaks he was the 1972 World Cup Winner Off Shore boat racing. The boat in which he won the World Cup was called Fino # 18, thus the name of Barris corvette "Finovette". This car was later sold to John O Crouse the author and publicist for the world famous boat builder Don Aronow. Just a side note Don Aronow, Bobbly Rautbord, Clayton Rautbord and John O Crouse all hung out and played with the best big boy toys of there time. Anyway that's all I have researched at this time. In the ad you will see pictures of a time period correct engine and transmission these are included in the bidding. 1968-1969 427 Engine, Back driver-side block, casting# 3935440 Hi Performance, Stamped on flat pad on passanger side block #T07151V-18L170654. Engine has brackets and exhaust manifolds. Transmission is a Muncie M21 or M22 seven bolt. Stamp # is 3925660. In conclusion, this is a serious piece of history and the person who takes on this project will have his skills in fabrication, mechanical, electrical and research tested. But the prize is valuable one of two "Finovettes" ever built by George Barris (the other could have been built for brother Clayton, or good friend Don Aronow). Built by the King of Kustoms Geroge Barris for the 1972 King of off shore speed Bobby Rautbord and his winning boat "Fino" # 18. Color codes from the trim plate. Assembly date is D22. October 11, 2011."
(That last part, the October 2011 date, seems to be a typo since they talk about the relatively-famous previous owners)

Does anyone have the George Barris book? maybe this car appears in there...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by VetteHalen
hmmm... perhaps. (although, those seats could have been modified/added by a previous owner in the 80's - that's when that version of the Batman logo began to be widely used by DC Comics/Warner Bros.)

there isn't too much info out there on this "Barris Custom." although the current owner (a woman?) registered it on the C3 registry:

http://c3registry.org/index.php?job=...15249&uid=3809
"Located this vehicle in a field in Fresno. No engine or transmission everything else including the drive shaft is intact and in the vehicle. True to Barris style as you see everything was customized to his specific design. Please note the elaborate electrical work. George redesigned this entire vehicle, this you can see from what you can't see ie under carpet, behind dash, wiring, harnesses, digital dash, alarm system! Chrome differential! I have emailed the Barris Group the Vin# and picture of car as it is now. George Barris daughter responded that the car had been built by George Barris, the was called the "Finovette" also emailed to me a picture of the car, I believe a starting picture. I will forward this email to serious only buyers. The George Barris "king of customs" group has available complete documentation and signature plates with additional pictures for 1,500.00. Which for the person who restores this piece of history should have for historical and financial value of this car. I did some research and found that the "Finovette" was built for Bobby Rautbord (family started and owned Alpeco Company) for all you speed freaks he was the 1972 World Cup Winner Off Shore boat racing. The boat in which he won the World Cup was called Fino # 18, thus the name of Barris corvette "Finovette". This car was later sold to John O Crouse the author and publicist for the world famous boat builder Don Aronow. Just a side note Don Aronow, Bobbly Rautbord, Clayton Rautbord and John O Crouse all hung out and played with the best big boy toys of there time. Anyway that's all I have researched at this time. In the ad you will see pictures of a time period correct engine and transmission these are included in the bidding. 1968-1969 427 Engine, Back driver-side block, casting# 3935440 Hi Performance, Stamped on flat pad on passanger side block #T07151V-18L170654. Engine has brackets and exhaust manifolds. Transmission is a Muncie M21 or M22 seven bolt. Stamp # is 3925660. In conclusion, this is a serious piece of history and the person who takes on this project will have his skills in fabrication, mechanical, electrical and research tested. But the prize is valuable one of two "Finovettes" ever built by George Barris (the other could have been built for brother Clayton, or good friend Don Aronow). Built by the King of Kustoms Geroge Barris for the 1972 King of off shore speed Bobby Rautbord and his winning boat "Fino" # 18. Color codes from the trim plate. Assembly date is D22. October 11, 2011."
(That last part, the October 2011 date, seems to be a typo since they talk about the relatively-famous previous owners)

Does anyone have the George Barris book? maybe this car appears in there...
Yeah, I saw that she registered the car on the C3R, but I was curious as to why she wouldn't share the picture of the vette that was sent to her by Barris' daughter. I would think that if you were claiming this as a Barris creation then you would want to show any proof to back up the claim (otherwise people may just think it's a scam).

I was very surprised not to find a picture of the car or that it was never covered in a magazine back in the day. I enjoy researching cars that I never knew existed before. During my research I found a thread where someone was thinking that this car was possibly the Fino Vette! They had seen picture of it and recognized the treatment to the pillar behind the windows. However, they did think this now had a different nose and was missing it's rear wing! So that does give some credibility to the wing on the clack car. But the real kicker on that black car is the interior; the original owner was into speed not a lot of flashing lights on a dash!
Attached Images  

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 12-13-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Found on Craigslist: 1969 George Barris "Fino Vette"