Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 rear door jamb switch mount help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:19 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I used the stiff wire method through the access panel and pulled it right up to the switch hole from the outside . Then just line up the one rivet hole so you can rivet and remove the wire and finish up. Not hard to do once you learn the trick.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I used the stiff wire method through the access panel and pulled it right up to the switch hole from the outside . Then just line up the one rivet hole so you can rivet and remove the wire and finish up. Not hard to do once you learn the trick.
Hi bj1k ...Thank you very much!! I will be doing it this way too...It seems very easy now that i keep reading it .
Old 05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed T
yes, they have to come out so you can insert your new rivets

If you are worried about the drill skipping you can protect the paint in the jambs w/ a few layers of tape.

don't forget new wire terminals, Willcox has 'em if you didnt get some already.

see the string where the lower rivet is? attached to that is a length of dental floss. That's what you tie to the stiff wire when you push it thru to 3BM cavity. Once the wire/floss is thru then tie your knotted string w/ the plate to the floss and feed the whole mess back to the door jamb.

easy stuff, just don't drop your new plate in the hole

suggest you take pics as you do your job. Add your tips, suggestions and lessons learned to this thread for the next guy that needs to make this repair. Everyone always finds a shortcut and someone else is bound to dig up this old thread another 5 yrs from now.
Hi Ed T. Yes i did order the new wire terminals through Ecklers. So waiting for them to come on the mail. I have to buy new hacksaw blades to saw the bracket. I do have a sawsall but not sure if that will be any good. And yes when im drilling out the old rivets i use tape around the area like u said. Also what did u use for the stiff wire?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Willcox makes and sells that door ajar bracket. Lou.

Quick Reply: 72 rear door jamb switch mount help