Front Clip Replacement and settling

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
briaineo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Clip Replacement and settling

A question about front clip installation:

My car been sitting on stands for over a year now and i'm about to install the new front clip, looking for some advise on settling of the car.

Can't really drive the car far without the front clip in place, would driving a couple of hundred meters settle it?

I saw on this forum before where a member took the car off the jack stands and installed the front clip without moving the car and he had to do the whole job again!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Install the new front clip while the car is on the jack stands. Suspension or suspension settling has nothing to do with clip installation. All of these cars had the bodies completly assembled and painted before body drop.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

No settling required for front clip install,
the front clip is glued/ bonded/ riveted to the firewall birdcage,
and supported in the front from the radiator support.
suspension settling does not come into play.
however, I would suggest do Not do this on jackstands, put wheels on, set on the ground.
the wheels this will help determine/see... side to side clip adjustment.
once the clip is bonded/glued it's not moving.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 77 spent enough years on stands for the frame to "take a set"... after I put the suspension back under it and let it sit "on wheels" for a month my upper door gaps closed noticeably, like from needing correction for sure to being good enough to live with. Your experience may differ, but I would certainly get a project I was going to hang a new nose on on the ground for awhile, especially if there's the luxury of time... I hate doing things twice.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The front clip bolts to the chassis at three locations; one on each side just forward of the door posts and at the front (on my '80 there's a rubber mount and bolt in the center of the bumper extension). The area of the front clip that attaches to the Bird Cage is held on with rivets and an epoxy adhesive. There really is no settling of the clip. The adhesive cures in about 45 minutes, but the rivets would already be in place.

I like 69Vette's suggestion. Install the clip with the car's wheels on the ground. I totally forgot about adjusting for side to side. I'll have to remember that one for myself.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The frame will flex if the jack stands under the frame & not directly under the suspension. There are stands that go directly under the wheels however you would need a lift to get them in place. the suspension will settle if you roll the car a couple of feet, but it should not affect frame flex.

I would make sure the car is on it's wheels for the installation. Also for the best fit the wheels should be on level ground side to side. I used a couple of vinyl tiles for this purpose along with a 6' level.

Search for some old posts on installing the front clip, there's a of of goo info on this site that I used

Good luck

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Front Clip Replacement and settling

Quick Reply: Front Clip Replacement and settling