Sponsored by:

1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update

Thought I would share some of the progress I have made with the LT-1. Here is the link to the first thread with some pics of the car when I bought it in September.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-1-rescue.html

In November I took the car to Masterworks, a Corvette restoration shop near my house. When I took it in the brake pedal would go straight to the floor, and most of the rubber parts I could see underneath were in pretty bad shape. I asked them to make the car ride right, and stop safely.

They ended up doing a full suspension and brake restoration front and rear. All of the parts were refinished or replaced. While the suspension was off I had them add a power steering kit. The headers and side pipes were removed and a new Exhaust Central N-11 exhaust was added. 2.5" from the manifolds back. The rear exhaust exits had been glassed over so they needed to be cut open. Thankfully the brackets were still in place. To add the power steering I had them remove the serpentine belt system and reinstall the original pulleys. Also the chrome alternator was replaced by a stock one. The chrome Chevrolet valve covers were replaced with stock LT-1 covers.

Here are some pics I took in late December when I got it back from the shop.

In a strange coincidence a guy was walking through the shop and recognized my car, and still knew another guy that had the original 4555 Holley and 3972110 Intake from my car that he bought in the 70's from my cars second owner. They have been on a shelf sitting since the 70's, never installed on his Camero project. I was able to get in touch with this gentleman and have purchased the original carb and intake back. Here are some pics of the carb and intake.

Here is a link to my photobucket album where there are some more pics.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...vette%20Coupe/
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Nice!

It's good to see that car fell into the hands of the right person after it clearly spent some time in the hands of the wrong person with the metallic blue mater cylinder and all.
Nice score finding the intake and carburetor.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great very nice car
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by qtlow
...metallic blue mater cylinder and all. ...
Its a little hard to tell, but the block is blue too. Double
Old 01-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C12,
Very nice progress!
Believe it or not just the air cleaner WING NUT is a VERY nice find!!!
Keep up the good work!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! You really lucked out getting the original carb & intake!
Now a lot of your time & money will be spent detailing and getting all the correct missing parts!

Here's my friends 70 LT-1 engine bay for reference. His is early, no power steering or brakes. Just beautiful!
Glenn

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Those wheels look so good on that car, even though they are not correct!!!! Great that you could find the correct, original intake and carb!!!!! good luck with the continued restoration in progress. The LT-1 is like the DZ 302 except with torque!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
Wow! You really lucked out getting the original carb & intake!
Now a lot of your time & money will be spent detailing and getting all the correct missing parts!

Here's my friends 70 LT-1 engine bay for reference. His is early, no power steering or brakes. Just beautiful!
Glenn

Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by qtlow
It's good to see that car fell into the hands of the right person after it clearly spent some time in the hands of the wrong person with the metallic blue mater cylinder and all.
Nice score finding the intake and carburetor.
i love what you have done so far. Unbelievable story about the intake and carb.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your doing a GREAT job. Keep the updated info coming.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Crafty12, just came across this thread, what a great looking 70! I also am redoing a 70 Mulsane Blue LT-1 and it is a lot of fun. I have never been into the whole numbers or original parts deal but must admit it is more fun looking for that special part when you are doing a car like this.

I hope to see more pics as you continue. Keeps me wanting to work on mine.

Here is my "project" I bought out of a barn three years ago. Much work has been done and it has several non original pieces - luggage rack and side mirror - but it is what I want it to be. Building a "new" motor for it now to original numbers LT-1.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spf72
Crafty12, just came across this thread, what a great looking 70! I also am redoing a 70 Mulsane Blue LT-1 and it is a lot of fun. I have never been into the whole numbers or original parts deal but must admit it is more fun looking for that special part when you are doing a car like this.

I hope to see more pics as you continue. Keeps me wanting to work on mine.

Here is my "project" I bought out of a barn three years ago. Much work has been done and it has several non original pieces - luggage rack and side mirror - but it is what I want it to be. Building a "new" motor for it now to original numbers LT-1.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
HeavyMetalHawk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Car looks great! I hope you can finish it right away. Great find, and very lucky with the carb and the intake!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Crafty12
Pro

Its a good time for an update.

As I mentioned I found the original carb. It seemed like such a great story I got a bit ahead of my self and didn't do my homework. I never asked for the codes off the metering blocks, and low and behold they were not the originals. I don't think that any thing deceitful happened, I just think that the guy that sold them back to me really didn't know any better. Truth of the matter is since it was in such good condition I would have bought it even if I had known about the blocks. So that delayed the install until I could find suitable replacements. I found the secondary pretty easily, but the #6333 primary is a pretty rare bird. I finally found one I could rent so my carb guy could map and measure it and create me one from a GM over the counter replacement.

With that done now the carb is ready to go, and hopefully I can get the car back into the shop and get the carb and intake installed within the next couple of weeks.

More to come after the install. Getting close to driving season now!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Crafty, this is a really great looking vehicle and it sounds like you are into a great project. As I mentioned I am also doing a 70 LT-1 and am in the process of changing the exhaust. I do not know this so I am asking the question - I thought the "extended" manifold was only on the driver side but I see you have one on the passenger side as well. Is this stock?
Both of mine are the wrong numbers now and I want to be sure I am buying the right ones. Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by spf72
Crafty, this is a really great looking vehicle and it sounds like you are into a great project. As I mentioned I am also doing a 70 LT-1 and am in the process of changing the exhaust. I do not know this so I am asking the question - I thought the "extended" manifold was only on the driver side but I see you have one on the passenger side as well. Is this stock?
Both of mine are the wrong numbers now and I want to be sure I am buying the right ones. Thanks
Good eye. The exhaust manifolds on my car are not correct. They are 2.5" where stock would have been 2". The RH is off of a mid 60's fuelie. The shop had them on a shelf so I got a great deal on them. I was actually a bit disappointed that it had the extension, but it was installed before I had a chance to see it. In the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, and the disappointment went away after I heard it run.

Last edited by Crafty12; 02-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update

Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually detail usually escapes me it is just I am about to post a want to buy and thought I better check. I found a NOS LT-1 short block from 1970 but I am finding all of the "little" things like the right distributor, alternator and fuel pump cost as much as the short block! Luckily I had some of it already.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Love it - congratulations! That's an interesting wheel package - don't think I've seen them before.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for posting the photos and the update - - what type of manifold and carb are on the car presently?

Almost makes you wonder why they would change them to start with ?

You're making good progress - --great car!

Last edited by CQRT; 02-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update