Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

We'll see.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's a brown '79. Paint it pink-paint it day glow orange-it won't change the value. Anyway we all like girls in pink Corvettes...
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
allaluminum427435
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your husband is right, sorry to say once you pull apart an original car there is no putting it back. It is original once. The value will go down and never come back up. Sell the car and find a non original one. The money you would put in to your current one would be equal to that of the price to buy a non original one and mod it how you like, probably even with airfare and hotel fees.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I don't know... The concensus here has been that its a money losing proposition to sell my 79 and by a 79 project car. I'm inclined to agree although I suppose the only way I'd know for sure is to try and sell my present car and see if I can get $12-14K for it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell a car that works well with relatively low mileage hoping to find another crappy enough to do what you want.

Now, Dear Lady, you can have any car painted any color you want. If you do, I hope you are one hellacious, bodacious Zoftig and a half Blonde with legs that go all the way up to your eyebrows 'cause I have never, not one, ever seen a Corvette painted "Hot Pink." You would be unique but your hubby is right, while that color is on it it will be worthless.

Now there was this woman out West in crazy California who put in her will that when she died she wanted to be buried in her peignoir sitting in her Jaguar Convertible and she was.

Are you in California?

Lance
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LancePearson
It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell a car that works well with relatively low mileage hoping to find another crappy enough to do what you want.
That's what I'm thinking. If I buy another car with the main criteria being that its bargain basement cheap and non-orginal my odds of winding up with a piece of crap money pit seem pretty high.

Are you in California?

Lance
No, and I'm 50, My days of being a "bodacious Zoftig and a half Blonde with legs that go all the way up to my eyebrows" are long gone.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default I'm laughing....

Originally Posted by Priya
That's what I'm thinking. If I buy another car with the main criteria being that its bargain basement cheap and non-orginal my odds of winding up with a piece of crap money pit seem pretty high.

Exactly right!

No, and I'm 50, My days of being a "bodacious Zoftig and a half Blonde with legs that go all the way up to my eyebrows" are long gone.
What the H....some people used to like baby blue Cadillacs. have a big time....if you are gonna drive it for a few years and want pink....

You might want to mend all marital fences first as it is something any true Corvette lover like your hubby would perhaps cringe over about a hundred times. Why not get him something offsetting that he loves dearly as well so he doesn't give a crap if you paint your thing Hot Pink? You gotta go along to get along sometimes.....and I'm 68 so more senior than you are!

Good luck, it's been fun. I wanna see the photo. I'm tired of visiting that broad's grave where she's all wrinkled in her peignoir sitting in the Jag Convertible and could use a new sight for sore eyes anyway.

LOL.

Thanks for the good laughs....good luck.

Lance P.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Living in the arctic circle, i'd say sell the vette and maybe have hubby buy you a hummer.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default c3...googled pink

Well, I gotta say it looks to my tastes absolutely horrible and I have no idea what "hot pink" looks like but Google did find one pink c3.

Pardon me while I go get the airline paper bag I keep around for just such sights.

Lance P.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default great idea

Originally Posted by dar322
Living in the arctic circle, i'd say sell the vette and maybe have hubby buy you a hummer.
Why not paint the snowmobile the most shockingly hot pink you can find and keep your Vette Pristine? Would solve every problem.

You get get a cold suit for riding the Snowmobile so you would stand out when riding the snowmobile. Heck, pump up the HP on the snowmobile so it does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and runs 12 seconds or less in the quarter mile.

Thanks for the laughs. I'll quit teasing you now.

Lance P.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I enjoyed your thread but please no pink Corvette.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

You might want to mend all marital fences first as it is something any true Corvette lover like your hubby would perhaps cringe over about a hundred times. Why not get him something offsetting that he loves dearly as well so he doesn't give a crap if you paint your thing Hot Pink?
Well, thats where he's a little hard to understand. To him this idea of having cars you like for their looks or performance is incomprehensible. To him a car is transportation and what it looks like is irrelevant. So I'm a little mystified as to why he cares about the Corvette.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Odds will be 99% against you.

You'll have the little things like one day noticing a sweet smell inside the car as the heater core relieves itself on the carpet. Have fun tearing apart half the car to get at the core.
Wandering and horrible handling due to worn out and dry rotted suspension components.
Fluid leaks.
You'll also have all the surprise hacks that previous Bubba owners performed over the years.

Hidden windshield frame and birdcage rot would also be a very common problem in your location.

Cars without issues won't have a bargain basement price.

Sounds like you already own the perfect base to work with. Make it your own and you'll have the reliable car you want.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by paul 74
I enjoyed your thread but please no pink Corvette.
See, now that kind of talk just makes me want to paint it hot pink all the more.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

The absolute last thing any of us would like is for you not to paint your corvette hot or any other kind of pink.

We want you to paint your corvette pink.

We urge you to paint your car pink.

We would die if you don't paint your car pink.

We wish you women came with instruction books, too, by the way.

About a year ago I decided that if was a choice between fast women and fast cars I'd take the fast cars.

Why, you ask?

1. You can fix a broken fast car.
2. You women don't come with instruction manuals, AIM manuals.
3. If you paint that car hot pink or any other kind of pink there is less then one tenth of a % that any Corvette owner will ever speak to you again. In China you would be shunned. In India you would be flogged. In Iran you would be stoned.

You have the right but for gosh sake, don't paint the Corvette pink, all kidding aside. That does not make it look good. Hot pink is for nightgowns, lingerie, house exteriors in some parts of Florida, and Mary Kay.

Please don't tell me you are really Shirley Cha Cha Muldowny. If you are, you've already painted several cars pink and gone darned fast in them on drag tracks.

Lance P.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

You have the right but for gosh sake, don't paint the Corvette pink, all kidding aside. That does not make it look good.
That's a matter of opinion
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Yep, Priya, it is and you have heard several but it is up to you.

In my case I clearly think of them not only as machines but as pieces of art, as sculptures that move and move well. There are people here, me among them, who will be in the garage momentarily or walking through the garage by our cars there and stop, and look at their C3's when they are still, cold and quiet and get a healthy amount of joy just looking and thinking about them without at that time getting in it and turning the key.

It is very difficult to think pink in that regard. It just is no matter what anyone says.

Lance P.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

You might want to watch this to get more of the flavor of that....many of the vette c3 owners here cars were used to make this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuV7wUeFe3A
Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

In my case I clearly think of them not only as machines but as pieces of art, as sculptures that move and move well. There are people here, me among them, who will be in the garage momentarily or walking through the garage by our cars there and stop, and look at their C3's when they are still, cold and quiet and get a healthy amount of joy just looking and thinking about them without at that time getting in it and turning the key.

It is very difficult to think pink in that regard. It just is no matter what anyone says.
Maybe difficult for you, but very easy for me. It just is no matter what anyone says

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 79 and buy a 79?