C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Sidepipes-where do you stand?
Yes, I have sidepipes on my C3 and love them
47.88%
No, I don't have sidepipes but wish I did
19.92%
No, I don't have sidepipes and don't want them
19.92%
I used to have sidepipes, but switched back to duals
4.24%
I never gave it much thought either way
1.27%
I can't decided whether or not I want sidepipes
6.78%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about Sidepipes for the C3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

many chrome shops will not touch exhaust pipes due to the grease and carbon and gunk on the inside of the pipes. it really messes up their chroming vats.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinquirk
The pipes and headers are most likely Hooker 50735's. They are a 4" pipe. You may want to check to see if it has baffles installed. They will quite the car down a bit if they aren't already there. I have them in mine and believe me, nothing gets lost in translation with the sound you want to hear. My wife can hear me coming form 400+ yards away.

As for heat shields, You're smart to install them. Nothing worse than a Hooker tattoo on your girls calf. I have several sets of the correct covers. They are 46" X 5" Diameter with the correct mounting hardware and heat insulation. I have Chrome, Satin Black, High Gloss Black and Gun Metal Gray. They are all new. There was a company near me making them. When they closed up shop I was able to get them before they went to dust bunny hell.

I also have a ton of C3 items from rebuilding my own car. All kinds of goodies. If you're interested contact me off line and I'll shoot you a list of what I've got with pics. I'm based in the North East.

As for polishing them you'll want to start with a strong, yet not too aggressive, Naval Jelly (Cut it at first. 50/50 is a good start. Don't leave it laying on there.) or other rust removal product. There are tons of types available. I think POR 15 makes a remover also.

Do yourself a major favor. Don't go at it with both guns blazing. Start with a mild detergent and grease remover. Build your way up. You can always get more aggressive if need be. But you can't put back what you take off. Patience must prevail. Fritz, Never-Dull and Turtle Wax chrome polishing compounds are good. Soft cloth, a Dremel with a small buff pad, A buff pad application for a drill (GOTTA BE variable speed and a soft approach). Once you've got it as best as it will come, you can apply a quality VHT metallic chrome paint. Just as a touch up for some of the harder to reach places (Harder to reach does not mean paint over gunk. Use a toothbrush for that cleaning. Then paint.)

All else fails, you can re-chrome them. Just the pipes figure about $300.00 for the set. And that's a very good price. Lot of polishing to be done.
The Baffles are installed...I will send you a p.m
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought them for looks and I do hope they sound good....will have the car started soon
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my Hooker sidepipes last week!!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

They sound ok now, but I imagine they will sound alot better once the are installed
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I wouldn't have them. Its not a matter of appearance, I just don't like getting my pants leg dirty and burning my leg.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Racer C3
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default htowne81vette

Those are beautiful. Who did you buy them through? Congrats.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racer C3
Those are beautiful. Who did you buy them through? Congrats.
Thanks!!

Bought them through Summit Racing

Here is a direct link to the exact ones I bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-50735-3HKR/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2224-3HKR/

STS Baffles on the way...

I'm going to see how hot they get first before buying heat shields...

Last edited by htown81vette; 05-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
73l824spd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have NICE side pipe covers on my 73' , AND I STILL manage to burn myself now and then ! Happens when I'm cleaning the windshield and my shin touches between the cover and where it's still exposed !

2nd and 3rd degree burns...OUCH !
Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Almost all C3s have a big hunk of shiny under the door, with the exception of the few years that used the black rocker covers. The "it doesn't look right on a non-chrome bumper car" comments seem silly.

I took a set of ratty original 69 covers and painted them with high-temp aluminum paint. They look good, and I like the not-chrome finish. One of these days I need to take them in to get the remaining chrome under the paint stripped, then refinish again.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Can anyone tell me why sidepipes were invented?

What is the advantage of having them on a racecar?

I think they appeared the first time on the Mako-Shark I as a design element.

I have Hookers on my 69 and like them. But i think not every C3 must have sidepipes. I like them without as well.
And its terrible to keep the hookers clean. If you drive in rain sometimes, or worse, have to pass a buildingsite with a wet sandy road
The front wheels spray them over and over with dirtwater.
The water evaporates direclty on them, and the dirty stays on the pipes and gets burned in.
If it was my daily driver i surely would not have hookers on it. Maybe the black ones, but not the chromed.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Please excuse an old boomer for asking some dumb questions, but... do they come from Summit with the baffles? How do they tie into the manifold pipe? Could a compitent muffler shop and or mechanic install them? I have a side exhaust rear valance for my car and will save the original under car pipes and valance. I don't want to do anything to the car that can't be undone. It's a 75K miles silver with black chairs '70 big block convertible with original motor, tranny, rear end, even original altenator and water pump. But time marches on and it's someting I want to do. Where do you the shields that prevent the burns? A lot of quustions and I apologize for hitting you with all this. Mac
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

If anyone gets sick of a nice set of stock correct '69 side exhaust and wants to take them off, drop me a PM.

PS, Ill have a near new set of correct aluminized undercar exhaust, tips, and bezels available. Maybe a valance.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by zuendler
Can anyone tell me why sidepipes were invented?

What is the advantage of having them on a racecar?

I think they appeared the first time on the Mako-Shark I as a design element.

I have Hookers on my 69 and like them. But i think not every C3 must have sidepipes. I like them without as well.
And its terrible to keep the hookers clean. If you drive in rain sometimes, or worse, have to pass a buildingsite with a wet sandy road
The front wheels spray them over and over with dirtwater.
The water evaporates direclty on them, and the dirty stays on the pipes and gets burned in.
If it was my daily driver i surely would not have hookers on it. Maybe the black ones, but not the chromed.
Side-exit exhaust systems and open headers were common during the 50s "hot rod" movement. Not much place you can stick a V8 exhaust on a Model A or 32 Ford except out the sides.

Last edited by I'm Batman; 05-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 AM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love em, but they are ..loud !! Hooker Max flows, heat is less than the reverse flows.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ctureid=111440
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I think he should have left them on. No different that a custom bike with pipes. Same burn factor potential and same need for parents to pay attention.

I love my pipes, but I'm not crazy about the way my shirt smells after a long drive.

I get lots of compliments like "only a vette can pull off cool pipes like that"

Get notified of new replies

To How do you feel about Sidepipes for the C3?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
76_Stingray
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay well i used to have sidepipes with hooker heads on my 1976, It came like that when i bought it. they looked badass but the burn your legs so bad if you touch them and they look a bit bulky especially when you dont have a chrome bumper C3. I put Flowmaster 40 series on it and i love the sound of it. The sidepipes were nice sounding but the flowmasters have a deeper tone. Also sidepipes rattled the right side of my car, and it hides the chrome skirt under the doors

Last edited by 76_Stingray; 05-29-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 76_Stingray
Okay well i used to have sidepipes with hooker heads on my 1976, It came like that when i bought it. they looked badass but the burn your legs so bad if you touch them and they look a bit bulky especially when you dont have a chrome bumper C3. I put Flowmaster 40 series on it and i love the sound of it. The sidepipes were nice sounding but the flowmasters have a deeper tone. Also sidepipes rattled the right side of my car, and it hides the chrome skirt under the doors
What baffles/mufflers did you have in your hookers?
I had Flowmaster 40's before my hookers and I can say that my hookers with STS baffles are more mellow and quieter than the 40's. The 40's had a droan that would give you a headache. Also could not talk to my passenger at cruising speed. With the Hookers, they are mellow and quiet enough I can talk to my passenger and also get no headache. They're only loud when I stand on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
76_Stingray
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
What baffles/mufflers did you have in your hookers?
I had Flowmaster 40's before my hookers and I can say that my hookers with STS baffles are more mellow and quieter than the 40's. The 40's had a droan that would give you a headache. Also could not talk to my passenger at cruising speed. With the Hookers, they are mellow and quiet enough I can talk to my passenger and also get no headache. They're only loud when I stand on it.

Not sure, but it is quite loud around 1500-2500 rpm and considering i am 17 i love the noise(: but my neighbors dont, and it gets VERY loud around 4500-5000 rpm, (especially in my schools parking lot at 7 in the morning)

Quick Reply: How do you feel about Sidepipes for the C3?