Sponsored by:

Power Brake Booster Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM
TheDucci
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Power Brake Booster Leak?

My cars idle has never been that good seance I picket it up from the PO. The idle has always been a little high and fluctuates 200 - 400 rpms at idle as well. I have been chasing down vacuum leaks. I have disconnected the headlights vacuum tube as I now there is a leak there. The other day I pinched off the tube running to the brake booster and the idle increased quit a bit, if I then let off the engine almost wants to stall until I blip the linkage and then it comes back. My brakes feel fine, however.
The rubber tube to the booster is new and I have looked at the PVC elbow and it dose not look like it has any cracks. Do the PVC valves go bad?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a close look at the PB booster check valve. Mine had a small crack in it that I couldn't see causing an irregular idle. One day I was messing around, checking things over again and the check valve nipple finally broke loose. Easy repair. A new check valve is about $10 and is just a press fit into the grommet in the steel booster enclosure. The grommet is an easy repair too in case it has gotten hard and cracked with age.

It's also possible for the booster diaphragm to go bad and leak vacuum. Then it's time for a booster rebuild or replacement. I understand this can happen if your master cylinder leaks fluid into it so check for that.

Oh, and PCV valves most definitely can go bad and leak vacuum! If you even have a doubt, replace it. They're cheap too!

Last edited by LemansBlue68; 02-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM
TheDucci
Racer

Ok thanks. I'll just replace the PVC valve and see what happens. It seams the closer i get to getting this motor in tune the more pernounced the other issues get.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you checked the torque on your intake manifold bolts?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
TheDucci
Racer

What is the TQ on a SBC with an aluminum intake manifold? Its been awhile sence I have done any rebuild work on a chevy motor.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

after you turn off the motor .[wait 5 minutes]see if there is vacuume in the booster .where the hose goes into the booster pull it out and listen if you hear air escaping.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
75vetteman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve grommet on mine was totally dry rotted. i pulled off the valve cover to safely replace it. it was causing a vacuum leak and spitting oil drops around that area. simple check for the pcv valve is to pull it out and shake it. the check ball should be rattling around in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Brake Booster Leak?

Quick Reply: Power Brake Booster Leak?