Best C3 to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 PM
LOCKDWN
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best C3 to get?

Hello everyone, my name is Clay.

I truly apologize if this is a terrible first post but I am looking for quick answers.

I am extremely interested in obtaining a C3 model Corvette and while some might be quick to just say "Research It" ...I have already spent a lot of time today simply researching to find out there are even different designations of Corvettes (i.e. C1, C2, C3, etc....) I never knew that!

So, I have come to the conclusion that, on my budget and what I might have available over time, I should probably go with the C3 since I, myself, am not fond of the C4 body style and can't really afford any other type at this time.

Now I am stuck as to which year of C3 is the best in your opinions?
Really the only thing that I would be a stickler for is that it be a manual.
Not a fan of autos.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I hope to become a contributing member of this forum over time.
The following users liked this post:
AndyDC20009 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

you need to do more research.

seriously, at least ya got it narrowed down to C3...now time to research , what is a C3

only then can you proceed...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by LOCKDWN
Hello everyone, my name is Clay.

I truly apologize if this is a terrible first post but I am looking for quick answers.

I am extremely interested in obtaining a C3 model Corvette and while some might be quick to just say "Research It" ...I have already spent a lot of time today simply researching to find out there are even different designations of Corvettes (i.e. C1, C2, C3, etc....) I never knew that!

So, I have come to the conclusion that, on my budget and what I might have available over time, I should probably go with the C3 since I, myself, am not fond of the C4 body style and can't really afford any other type at this time.

Not a fan of autos.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I hope to become a contributing member of this forum over time.
The best? Buy a 1971 ZR1. If you can't find the color you like, pick up a '69 L88.

Seriously though, you need to narrow just a bit before you get any useful help:

-1. what is your budget?
-2. do you want a coupe or convertible?
-3. do you have a favorite C3 body style? (chrome bumpers, rubber bumpers, big back window)?
-4. do you plan to drive it regularly?

You said you can't afford a lot, but I don't know if that means $2,500 or $25,000. Spill as much info as you can and you will get a ton of suggestions.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was in the same situation you're in now. I chose an '80 because:
1) I like the '80-82 body style the best.
2) 1980 was the last year with a non-computerized 350. (The '80 California had a smaller computerized V8.) That simplifies the engine and other parts. The engine is easy to modify for more hp and torque over original.
3) 1980 was the first year after Chevrolet reduced the weight of the car by about 300 lbs.
4) There were more than 40,000 '80s made and a lot of them are still on the road. That means the price is lower than some of the older years considered by some to be "more desireable."

Name:  IMG_2163.jpg
Views: 12080
Size:  75.4 KB

My '80 has been a very rewarding hobby for 12 years. Not much of it is stock anymore, but it is quite reliable, a blast to drive, and still the best looking car IMO.
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (07-07-2018)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'70, /thread
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

It all depends on budget and what you're going to be using it for. The 68-70/72 are more "classic" because of the chrome bumpers and no emissions controls and are the most expensive. the 71/72 did have lowered compression ratios, but that can be remedied. Catalytic converters came in 76 and convertibles were done away with. 78 gives you the wrap around glass in the back. 79 gets you seats that fold over completely. 80 has built in spoiler and 85MPH speedometer. 82 did away with the manual transmission.

I'm in the process of buying a 79 because I wanted a functional daily driver Vette. I wanted the bigger storage compartment with seats that folded down, a manual and 140MPH speedometer, and I found one that's a manual too. With most of the lower priced Vettes, the chances of finding a manual decreases significantly.

If money was no object and I didn't need any function other than having fun, I'd go for a 69 427 with a 4 spd.

I hope this helps with your research a bit
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

As you learn more about these great cars, you will find that as you progress from 1968 to 1982, less and less were made with manual transmissions. The later cars do have there good points, tho, and a transmission swap may make you happy.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever see the movie City Slickers? This is what Curly talked about. The secret to life is one thing but you have to decide what that one thing is. Nobody can answer this for you. Sounds like you are very new to corvettes.

Educate yourself on the differences between the years, big block cars, small block, numbers matching or not, coupe or convertible, chrome bumper or rubber, flat rear window or bubble, It is virtually like asking us to tell you which new truck to go out and buy.

Research and ask questions and become informed first then your first one won't be a mistake.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Linas
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...l?ref=esp-link

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Linas

That there is some good ole advise. If you are just learning what the difference in C1, C2 etc. You need to read posts on this forum for the next month or so and you will still need additional clarification. I have loved corvettes my whole life and I have had a 70 and now a small block, L46, 69 convertible. I love both of them, but they don't drive like a newer car, even like the 80-82 C3s. I learn new information on this site every day. Some the members on here are a wealth of knowledge. They have forgotten more than I will ever learn. Test drive a few if you can. You will see what I mean. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

There are probably three primary things the new owner want to do with his/her Corvette.

1. Drive it
2. Restore it
3. Show it

Regardless of your objective, I think it makes sense to buy the best car you can find and afford. Buying a lot of parts for your car will cost a lot of money, in fact in many (maybe even most) cases more than buying a better car.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by milo30
Did you ever see the movie City Slickers? This is what Curly talked about. The secret to life is one thing but you have to decide what that one thing is. Nobody can answer this for you. Sounds like you are very new to corvettes.

Educate yourself on the differences between the years, big block cars, small block, numbers matching or not, coupe or convertible, chrome bumper or rubber, flat rear window or bubble, It is virtually like asking us to tell you which new truck to go out and buy.

Research and ask questions and become informed first then your first one won't be a mistake.
It's going to be your car. You'll probably wind up balancing what you want with what you can afford. Chrome bumper, rubber bumper, big block, small block, etc. As has been said many times, buy the best condition you can afford. Restorations can get out of hand quickly, expense-wise.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the '73 best. It still had the raised lip on the rear end, but went to bumperless on the front. But I am very happy with my '81 also.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Clay,
There has been lots of good advice already!
I suggest that you find a LARGE Corvette show or meet that you can attend, (even if it involves some travel). There you'll be able to see many or most of the 68-82 cars and get a feel for what they look like.
Once you decide on a year or a couple of years you can begin a search for a car.
I looked at your profile to see where you're located in hopes of making some suggestions of shows and meets but you haven't filled it out yet.
It would be good if you could spend a day or two at something like the meet shown in this picture.
Regards,
Alan

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 8477
Size:  50.4 KB
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by LOCKDWN
If your looking for a Corvette and have never owned one before, or don't know much about them, you've probably already made your first mistake. If you want to avoid getting burned, this is a purchase that you need to take your time leaning about, and preparing for.

Don't let your emotions or the excitement of owning a Corvette, rush your decision making process.

I am extremely interested in obtaining a C3 model Corvette and while some might be quick to just say "Research It"
I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, but if you don't want to take the time to research 68-82 Corvettes, your much better off waiting till you can afford to buy a new Corvette.

There are hundreds of posts on this Forum, from people who didn't do the research before buying a Corvette, and regretted it later! A little extra "research" now, will likely save you a lot of grief and money in the future.

This really depends on many things. Right off the top, how much can you, or do you want to, spend. I always tell people to buy the best car they can afford.

Let's say you have $10,000 to spend. You could buy a 71 that that's drivable, but needs to be restored, or you could buy an 81, that's complete and needs nothing. If you think you can afford to spend the money down the road, to restore the car, the 71 may be a better choice. If the $10,000 is all that you ever plan, or expect to invest in the car, then you should buy the 81!

If you think your buying a Corvette as an investment (and I hope not!), then you need to think about 68-72's, and probably 69's in particular. If you just always wanted a Corvette to drive and enjoy, and don't expect to be working on it much, the 78-82's are the way to go. If your in the market for the cheapest Corvette you can buy, then you want a 76-77.

Not a fan of autos.
If you have to have a stick, then you've eliminated the 82, as these were all automatics.

I'm glad to hear that you want to join the Corvette community. I've been a member for over 35 years and love it. Just don't let your enthusiasm, or desire to own one, get you in trouble. You'll be much better off taking your time and doing the research, so that your not disappointed later.

The time to learn all you can about buying a Corvette, is before buying it, not after!

Good luck with your hunt!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a trip to the corvette museum
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I like manuals better too, but you have to admit there is less beer spillage with the auto. just sayin..

Get notified of new replies

To Best C3 to get?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Research and LEARN... that is the most important thing you can do before buying. I drove these guys nuts for 2 months before I purchsed our '77. It was worth it because I had a good idea what to watch out for - frame and birdcage rust being the biggest killer of any car you might buy no matter what year C3 it is. Rush the learning process and chances are very high you will get burned and kill your desire to have a Vette.

Ask a lot of questions, spend time browsing through these forums and learn what to look for when you do start your physical search for your first Corvette.

I will say this as well - be realistic! If you have the mechanic skills to do all or most of the work yourself, you can build a nice car for a small(er) amount of money. If you will need a shop to do the work, plan on twice as much as you think it will cost and for the car to need work done on a regular basis.

Welcome and good luck with your search!

Adam
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Lockdown,

I know you want a manual but be sure and drive one before purchasing. The cluth has more resistance to press in than the newer hydrolic ones. Lots of gear shifting can get old in traffic. This may not matter to you but I've had a couple of manual owners offer to swap even because of it over the last 29 years.

If you plan to drive that car a lot, think in terms of 14-18mpg for a small block engine car and 7-12mpg for a big block car. This may not matter to you and some willl say if it does wait until it doesn't. I think it should be decide up front if mpg is an issue as it can effect the enjoyment of the car.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think about buying any of the 1968 to 1982 models for various reasons. I like convertibles, but prefer coupes. I like my '69, but I love some of the factory flaring and ground effects of later models. I like the glass back of the 78-82 models. I love the 1974 without the bumperettes that came in 1975. I like the 350 small blocks and they are easy to upgrade HP. I put in a 700R 4 speed automatic in mine and love it. Some Z06 seats made mine more comfortable for a long haul, and a rack for the t-tops ('77 and earlier) made for a lot of extra space (as much as can be expected) in the rear compartment. I would try to find one that hasn't been modified too much and is mostly stock. Then I would make my little changes to make a driver. I have a rat paint job and the mechanical is always my first priority. I found it hard to believe how many people still appreciated it with ratty paint. At least I can drive it.

They are all expensive to maintain, so keep your budget in mind before you rip into it too far. Good luck.

Last edited by builder; 02-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Best C3 to get?