C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were going to do a custom C3, would you start with a rebuilt/salvage title car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default If you were going to do a custom C3, would you start with a rebuilt/salvage title car

Given it's straight or only minor body damage ???
If you're going to do a one-piece nose, aftermarket hood/flares, or body kit, why not start $$$$$ ahead.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by Fast81; 03-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Too many good carcasses laying around for that....
Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes. Why waste a complete car if you are going to drastically change it anyway?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Because a salvage title can cause other issues down the "road". I believe different states view them differently and even insurance companies...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I believe even a newly built custom or race car is tainted with a salvage title.
I agree with bn... some looking will find you a car with a good title and VIN to be the basis for your custom.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't ever use a salvage title car for anything you might sell down the road, use them for parts.
I wouldn't buy a salvage title car for $1 if I thought down the road I was going to sell it.
A couple of good examples are flood cars from down south, they look good but the whole wiring system is rusted inside the plastic covering.
And a front end wreck where none of the grounds are hooked back up or a grafted back in.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is one of those cases where you will save some money at the beginning but lose more at the other end. No matter how much work you do to it or how minor the damage was, it will always be a salvaged title and will scare people and maybe even insurance companies away.

IF you want to do it, I'd take photos and document the entire process, especially the before pictures to show the minor damage, just in case you want to sell it in the future and MAYBE you might find a new buyer. If I see a salvage title, I would just keep walking if I were a buyer regardless of the condition.

You should be able to find one being parted out that you could start with for close to the same kind of money.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

NO! For all the same reasons stated above. There is plenty of material out there that will never be NCRS again or even somewhat correct that have "good" titles. Hack away.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NO
All the same reasons above.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Salvage title OK for drag only car...
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
robieWI
Instructor

What they said....
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

In some states, you`ll never get a tag or registration with a "salvage" title. Check your local DMV and state laws.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. There are thousands of these things on side streets and in garages everywhere... why would you want to start with a chassis which has already been declared beyond repair? I currently have a vintage motorcycle for sale which I built with no intention of ever selling... guess what it lacks a title... I am probably SOL in recovring even the cost of parts unless I disassemble it and sell it piecemeal. Don't do it.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Clay master
Intermediate

Does anyone know how the state of new jersey looks at a salvaged title? If the car is a classic does this matter ? And if the car has been completely resorted what happens
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay master
Does anyone know how the state of new jersey looks at a salvaged title? If the car is a classic does this matter ? And if the car has been completely resorted what happens
Here is a primer.

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/salvaged-vehicles.php

No state will register or tag a salvage titled vehicle.
They will however, inspect and issue a rebuilt title to replace the salvage title for a vehicle that has been repaired to their requirements and then a registration or tag can be obtained as easily as for any other car.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

um not true i have bought several salvage title vehicles in several states indiana missouri kansas an california all title tagged and insured my current is an 06 quad cab gmc canyon it got hit in the pass front fender and rolled the a arm under the engine bent the frame i bought it 42k miles for 3k dollars put 1500 into new frame section and other new gm dealer parts (had a connection ) and have been driving it tagged registed and insured in california the strictest registration state in the nation for 3 years love that little truck i like buying newer salvage title vehicles but a c3 probly not your best bet my last salvage vehicle was in 2003 a 1998 buick skylark hail damage totaled it on dealer lot in IN got it for $1500 it was for sale two days before for $7k never got the body fixed i put a 200 front and rear windshield in it and drove it for over a hundred thousand miles buicks are beautiful cars

the reason i wouldnt buy salvage is that for 3-7k there are a bunch of clean title vettes that may or may not need less work than a salvage title car piece of mind is priceless
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Get notified of new replies

To If you were going to do a custom C3, would you start with a rebuilt/salvage title car

Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

even if repaired a salvage title vehicle always stays a salvage title vehicle. federal laws an highway saftey regualtions say they have to maintain a record of the fact they are salvage or previously been considered salvaged on the title. to prevent misleading information to future owner or purchaser of the car at all times. my trucks california title on the vehicle history box says salvage in huge letters. i never had it inspected outside of smog i just smoged after i fixed it and reregistered it. in Mo and indiana the buick's title was stamped salvage in a water mark across the entire title different states different ways of doing things but same idea
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

California apparently actually calls their rebuilds a "revived salvage" vehicle and other than the smog requirements, seems pretty lax in their inspection procedure. Different than a "salvage certificate" issued for a total.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource..._Vehicles.html

Indiana, Missouri and Kansas all have "branded" titles, rebuilt or previous salvage etc. and inspection requirements if tagging in the home state.

Illinois is probably the most strict state, where only a licensed dealer or rebuilder can rebuild and obtain roadworthy titles.

I was buying insurance totals, even before most states had salvage titles.
You will always take a hit on selling a branded title car, it's just a numbers game, but some cars have very little damage to get totaled.
As jesse10886, pointed out, there are some very good deals to be had, especially if they will be your driver.

If you were going to do a custom C3, would you start with a rebuilt/salvage title car
Given it's straight or only minor body damage ???
If you're going to do a one-piece nose, aftermarket hood/flares, or body kit, why not start $$$$$ ahead.

Thoughts ?
If it were cheap enough, only required paint and would end up profitable when sold, yes I would do it.

People do make a living repairing this stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

not looking for resale or "flipping" it
I've just been tempted by a few 80-82s that look like $8-9K cars, but asking $4-5k.
given i'm a modifier and have never sold a vette i've bought, i just wanted some input on being "drawn to the darkside"..................

Quick Reply: If you were going to do a custom C3, would you start with a rebuilt/salvage title car