C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Mat & Resin - Brand Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Fiberglass Mat & Resin - Brand Preference?

I need to pick up some mat and resin in the next week or so. Do any of you have a brand you could recommend? Since there are so many out there, thought I'd see if any of you pro body guys had some advice on this. FYI, this will be to repair the cracks I have in the front fender bonding strip area - mostly at the front edge where the fender meets the bumper cover ('77 Vette).

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have had good luck with West Systems 105 Resin and 205 Hardener... Dig having their pumps which makes it super easy to dispense... A little expensive as a gallon of resin, quart of hardener and pumps are $135 before shipping on Amazon... I've used evercoat's seaglass mat and haven't had any issues...

Rogman
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I like 3M Dynatron 692:

It's a polyester resin with SMC additive. Other swear by epoxy resins, but I haven't used them.

As for mat, the Bondo brand (actually owned by 3M) found at most auto parts stores is good. I haven't found any better mat.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Hi Rogman,

Not familiar with West Systems so thank you for passing that along. If the product is good, I don't have a problem paying a price for quality. I'd like to do this once and do it right.

Adam
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rogman16
Have had good luck with West Systems 105 Resin and 205 Hardener... Dig having their pumps which makes it super easy to dispense... A little expensive as a gallon of resin, quart of hardener and pumps are $135 before shipping on Amazon... I've used evercoat's seaglass mat and haven't had any issues...

Rogman

I use the 206 hardener for longer working time. If you can find a local West Marine dealership, you save on shipping.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:35 PM
CheriG22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used the Napa kit, bought the mat separate, on our boat. Not a car, but it was easy to use and it did have a 60's 'vette on the box, lol.

Cheri
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tap Plastics
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/cate...75145387654077
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Hi Rogman,

Not familiar with West Systems so thank you for passing that along. If the product is good, I don't have a problem paying a price for quality. I'd like to do this once and do it right.

Adam
I think you'd be okay using any of the products the guys here have had used and had good luck with... Zwede's car is amazing, and Mike is the master...

Can't remember why I went with West, but will stick with it as I've had good luck with it...

Also, I've found that with shipping, online is still cheaper than West Marine... If you can wait a few days, it is a little cheaper... Our West Marine is 45 minutes away and is not a fun drive so I prefer to order online...

Rogman
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are ordering online,
This epoxy is the same or better than West Systems at about half the price. Available with 1:1, 3:1 or 5:1 mixes. Pumps are a couple bucks apiece.
They have all kinds of glass including kevlar.

http://www.fgci.com/

Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you know these products would be SMC compatible? Didnt see it on the website. But if the resin can be had in a no name brand good product at a better price Id like to know how to buy it.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LAddams
How did you know these products would be SMC compatible? Didnt see it on the website. But if the resin can be had in a no name brand good product at a better price Id like to know how to buy it.
All epoxies are compatable with SMC.
As far as adhesion and strength, they are far superior to any other resin. The only downside is that the are not as UV resistant, which isn't an issue.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
shamby
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gkz
I use the 206 hardener for longer working time. If you can find a local West Marine dealership, you save on shipping.
I second west systems. Get the pumps with it for accurate mixing.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noonie
All epoxies are compatable with SMC.
As far as adhesion and strength, they are far superior to any other resin. The only downside is that the are not as UV resistant, which isn't an issue.
Got it. Thanks!
Cant even begin to imagine how much time and heartache Ive been saved by what Ive learned on this forum. I was all set to use all the wrong stuff to put this car back together. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Mat & Resin - Brand Preference?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Mat & Resin - Brand Preference?