Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Windshield washer fluid container

Hello,

I had my oil changed and discovered my WWF tank leaks. I could use some help in trying to repair it. Or do I need to get a new one.

In this image you can see where the leak is dripping from. Any ideas? Is this the pump for the WWF? It looks a little rusted too.

Here is a picture of the top of the tank and the neck. the WWF seems to pour out of where the neck meets the tank (when it is filled to the top). Is there a seal missing or it this just a broken neck/tank. I can pivot the neck some, so I can say for sure there is no seal currently in place; its just two pieces of plastic on top of each other. You can see the blue ring of where WWF has dried around where the two pieces come together.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I have this one off an 80 model, if you or anyone else is interested send a PM

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I have this one off an 80 model, if you or anyone else is interested send a PM

I am interested but before I install a new one, I want to see if I can fix the original. At the very least ensure that I won't transfer the issue to a good one because something was installed wrong.

As seen in the picture, I have a small surface rust cylinder object connected to the bottom of mine. Is that included with yours? I can't see the bottom of your tank from the image.

Thank you for the offer.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM
PA14JIM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to bail in here because on mine an "77" the neck and tank are two seperate parts. the neck is held by a clip with sheet metal screw. I filled mine to the top and all the fluid leaked out down to the neck/tank connection. and is holding fluid at that point.
I mostly want to follow this thread to hear about removal or repair of the pump which is attached to the bottom of the tank. Appears to me the master brake assy may need to come out?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
82CEFan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

on my 82 you reach through the louver on the side after disconnecting the washer bottle from the wheel well and remove the vacuum canister. the washer bottle comes out downward between the frame and wheel well
Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

bump....still looking for ways to fix it before I get a new tank if there any.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
bump....still looking for ways to fix it before I get a new tank if there any.

Keep it simple. Tank is probably fine. Remove the tank and pump as a whole assembly. There is a plastic nut in the tank that is screwed onto the neck of the pump. Use a deep wall socket on an extension and separate the pump from the tank. Now, you can clean the tank and bleach it if you like. The pump is probably near shot. They usually are. The good news is that any pump from just about any junk yard car or truck will work. They all work the same. The only thing to watch for is the diameter of the neck of the pump. You want it to fit snug into the rubber grommet. Install whatever pump you pick in reverse order from removing it, and put it back in the car. Reconnect the rubber line and wiring and test fire it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 79 and Mark is correct. I pulled mine up from the top. You can reach underneath it and remove the wires and hoses. I pulled mine out and it was loose. Tightend it up and the leak was gone.

Dan
Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I pulled mine on my 78 and came out through the bottom. Cleaned it, installed new pump and put it all back together, filled it up, tested, great its working. Ten minutes later I have WW fluid all under the car. Leaks at the neck..... finally quit leaking when it leaked down past the neck. One day I will pull it all out again....

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer fluid container

Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid container