Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Origonal 1968 corvette license plate frame,Is it worth restoring

Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Dave27
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Origonal 1968 corvette license plate frame,Is it worth restoring

I wil post pictures later but I have what I believe is an origonal 1968 decorative frame that goes around the license plate. In my opinion its very cool and well made,it says corvette on the bottom in big chrome letters and 1968 on top in big chrome numbers sad thing is its bent and cracked in two places. Are these common and I just havnt seen one or is this one truly an origonal. The reason I think its origonal is because theres a sticker on the back that says Oregon something 1968.Is it worth paying to have it repaired straigtened and rechromed or does someone have a nice one for sale I could buy or even 2 one for the front and one for the back. I have allready checked some of the online places to buy one and no one has anything even close....Thankyou.....Dave
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dave,
It sounds like your frame is an aftermarket frame of some type.
The frames that came with the car are a simple narrow rectangles about 5/8" wide and with 4 clips that hold it to the plate and made of stainless steel.
Value of yours in poor condition?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Anchorage Alaska working the summer a few years ago and there was a 'Cal Worthington' dealer up there. I went there and got my 'Cal Worthington' plateholder and installed it. At the time I thought it was kind of cool since Cal Worthington was such a comercial boob on tv.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Dave27
Instructor

I remember Cal Worthington he was the guy that would "stand on his head to make you a deal" that is a cool license plate surround. So since its aftermarket it probly isnt worth the time or cash to have it restored...I'll post a picture later anyway,I'm going to do alittle more in depth searching today to see if any are out there.Corvette letters are probly alittle over an inch tall and are chrome and bold and stretch accross the entire bottom of the plate pretty cool in my opinion and the 1968 on top is just as bold but stops about an inch from the end on both sides,Surprised non one has one
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave27
Surprised no one has one.
If everyone had a license plate holder like yours, there'd be no reason for anyone to come up to you and ask, "What year's that Vette?"
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
If everyone had a license plate holder like yours, there'd be no reason for anyone to come up to you and ask, "What year's that Vette?"
Mine has a similar frame with the year, and the year included on the plate as well, if you read it right, and I still get people asking "what year is it?"
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Dave27
Instructor

My letters are over twice that size and their raised in chrome. I have been looking on the internet for awhile and I still havnt found one in any year corvette.Maybe I will get a bid to have it brought back would be cool to have one of the only ones. Where's Rick's restoration when you need him oh yah Vegas

Originally Posted by c69vete
Mine has a similar frame with the year, and the year included on the plate as well, if you read it right, and I still get people asking "what year is it?"

Get notified of new replies

To Origonal 1968 corvette license plate frame,Is it worth restoring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Origonal 1968 corvette license plate frame,Is it worth restoring