Trailer pics: how I mount up

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Trailer pics: how I mount up

Everyone has their way in getting various things done. When it comes to towing the car, I'm fortunate to reach in my tool box and grab the trailer.

While the motor & trans are out, I wanted to clean up the engine bay and rear axle at the 2 dollar car wash.

Got in hurry and didn't get any ramp shots loading or unloading; I'll see what I can do to remember next time. This is how and where I secure the car to the trailer and thought you guys can see where I leverage designed spaces.

I use a strap around the front crossmember for the hook on winch cable. After the car was pulled up, I hook the front frame horns through the OEM supplied holes with these nifty combo J-T hooks.

Then I hook the rear with J-hooks at a convenient location. I use this corner even when the car is running due to accessibility with the sidepipes. I am aware of the slotted holes along the frame but the J-hook diameter is a tad large to fit.

I have clearance issues with the front spoiler so I use a couple of 2"x10" s for a little less stress on the spoiler from the strap. I'm going to bolt another board layer together to raise it up again and that should relieve the stress all together. I'll leave a 4" or 6" lead on bottom layer so it graduates in height.

Out back, I crisscross the straps to the D-rings to preload the chassis from an angle. I pull everything tight from this end.

Once the straps are all cinched down, then I relieve about 1/2" of slack on the winch cable for the ride.

If this was a ride longer than 20 minutes of duration, I'd pull over someplace safe and convenient to recheck the tension on the straps from initial load. Afterwards, I check strap tension at any reason to stop: fuel, grabbing a bite or bathroom break. I've never had one get loose or God-forbid, anything behind the truck's tailgate passing by or creating a NASCAR-style yard sale behind me.

Back in the shop, all cleaned up and ready to accept more parts.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions. I'll offer what I can.
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Great ideas and thanks for posting this! I have to ask - what the heck is there to wash off? Already looks fantastic in there
Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that is a clean engine bay. I thought mine was clean, now I realize its not....
I have a question, where is yer engine and trans? What happened?
I got mine in not that long ago. Still working on tuning.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Great ideas and thanks for posting this! I have to ask - what the heck is there to wash off? Already looks fantastic in there
Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Now that is a clean engine bay. I thought mine was clean, now I realize its not....
I have a question, where is yer engine and trans? What happened?
I got mine in not that long ago. Still working on tuning.
Read your thread on that lifter problem you had, Rob. Good to see you are back in business. I imagine it's all coming together much better, as you tweak it to your liking.

Yanked the motor because a couple-three things ganged up and I decided to take advantage of the cold months to investigate.

Not having had a hydroboost before, I inadvertently overfilled the power steering pump. Drove around for days before realizing and coated the surrounding area in a nice film of pwr steering fluid. Rats. I picked up a lot of dust and dirt. Siphoned the level back down and cleaned what I could get to but it was never to my satisfaction. Now, it's much better.

Also have motor oil consumption issue that needs fixin'. I'm down to the short block and hoping to find glazed oil or compression rings in a hole; maybe the gaps lined up too, I don't know yet. What I do know, for a motor with around 15K miles, it shouldn't have been using as much as it was.

Oh, and I got it a little too hot the last time I ran it. My fault. Discovered a faulty radiator cap was no help but I failed to check coolant level one morning and remembered when the gauge told me, that I'd left the expansion tank dry. Oops.

Since I have the tools, space, and some time I decided to do a teardown inspection and see for myself, what the hell did I do?

At least, it was an excuse to show you my new tow hooks, eh?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent ideas, thanks!

I really like the stance of your car, can you please share the info about your rear suspension/tires info? whats the wheel size, width, backspace, tire size, and whether you use a offset trailing arms or stock?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I don't think I have ever seen a trailer with a wind deflector like yours. Did that come with the trailer or was the a home mod?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Excellent ideas, thanks!

I really like the stance of your car, can you please share the info about your rear suspension/tires info? whats the wheel size, width, backspace, tire size, and whether you use a offset trailing arms or stock?
Hi Hamad, I did mount offset T/A's in the car and found their wheel clearance benefit negligible. A few excellent points that they offer were new arms, bearings, their setup plus they reroute the emergency brake cable over the top of the arm. I have poly graphite bushings installed too.

The wheel/tire information are in post #'s 23, 27, 41 and 43 in the following thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-pictures.html

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I don't think I have ever seen a trailer with a wind deflector like yours. Did that come with the trailer or was the a home mod?
The air dam was purchased separately from the Denver trailer vendor who sold the trailer. It is (was) the factory designed air dam for this model trailer, at the time. I believe a different design may have superseded this one and a visit to Featherlite's website can confirm.

The trailer was purchased without and after the vendor received the air dam order I had placed, I picked it up and later installed it along with the aluminum cargo box. I have a 4500# Superwinch mounted inside the box to facilitate loading and unloading while working solo.

Thanks for the questions, guys. Let me know if you have others.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Excellent set up and pics. IMHO, far too many incorrectly tie down cars via the tires or suspension components allowing the car's suspension to travel separate from the trailer. I've always been taught to tie down the car so it travels with the trailer.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics! I've recently bought an enclosed trailer that I'm looking to set up for hauling to remote events. I just ordered a Superwinch S4000SR, ratchet tiedowns, & strap connectors. I've been waiting for the weather to clear up enough to load my car and see how to go about securing it since she sits pretty low. Your pics really helped to get me thinking about it more.

Where did you get the hooks from?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ray Y

Where did you get the hooks from?
Hi Ray,
A box trailer is certainly in my sights but before bringing one home, I need a bigger truck.

My current rig is maxed out from a rating standpoint: 7000lbs max capacity on the trailer and I only have a half-ton LWB truck with a small V-8 gas motor and auto trans. It's ok for now but I do have better security for the car and support gear in mind, down the road.

The hooks were bought from a travelling vendor last Jan. during an annual swap meet in Denver. I believe that local trailer supply or maybe a ranch supply store would have a selection of hooks along with various internet suppliers. I'd venture that big-rig truck stops may also have them available.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Any good winch manufacturer has got to be better help than pushing or pulling dead weight. Not to mention an increase of the safety factor.

Like Ray Y., I chose to buy and mount this bad boy. Makes this part of the hobby so much easier:

I drilled the round access hole you see in front of and right of the Superwinch script for the 25' controller lead (coiled, left) to plug into the unit.

With removable fenders, ingress or egress can be made normally, through open car doors as opposed to Dukes of Hazzard-style, open windows.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow very nice trailer and your car is very very nice. Frame looks amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer pics: how I mount up

Quick Reply: Trailer pics: how I mount up