Advice on a '69

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
fberus
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Whoa- got to disagree with your there. The bad restamps are easy to recognize, but there's lots of good, very good, and excellent restamps that fool most if not everybody almost all the time. An NCRS award is no assurance whatsoever that a car is/is not genuine.
It takes a trained eye to spot a well-done fake. Even very experienced NCRS and Bloomington Gold judges use a monocle such as a "broach buster." You also need to consider where and when the Top Flight was earned. I don't mean to offend fellow NCRS members or insinuate that the judging standards are inconsistent but achieving a Top Flight at a National Convention is different than achieving one at a chapter meet.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The pad actually counts for very little in NCRS judging. A car with a really bad stamp pad or completely blank pad will still only receive a minor deduct.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

From the earlier ad ==> The engine is a nom number matching restoration motor with all date codes correct including carbs heads and block with less than 3000 miles on it, the trans and rear are original to the car. 70,000

Now this engine is the thought to be original with a shaved deck, restamped? My understanding is a "restoration motor" is a replica of the original, not THE original...

At least the fellow states it's a restamp, honest in that respect. Value I'd say depends on how much the market will bear for a "restoration motor"...
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Whoa- got to disagree with your there. The bad restamps are easy to recognize, but there's lots of good, very good, and excellent restamps that fool most if not everybody almost all the time. An NCRS award is no assurance whatsoever that a car is/is not genuine.
Absolutely correct. There's restamps out there that I can look at with a Broach Buster and still not be sure about..

And the fact is, this is such a problem that Bloomington Gold is changing their certification rules to allow for bad pads as long as they are declared.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

$30k tops

Quick Reply: Advice on a '69