Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn wiring from steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Horn wiring from steering column?

On my 72, is the horn wiring part of the "harmonica" connector (or either of the other 2 plugs) on top of the steering column...or is there a separate wire just for the horn?

I removed and replaced my column, now horn doesn't blow (which blows). I am pretty sure I have the horn button hardware correctly assembled..

Consulted the wiring diagram but it is not specific enough to the horn wiring for me to tell.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The horn does run thru the harmonica. IIRC it's a white wire. BUT- your wiring diagram will be the final answer.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The horn ground wire is at position "G" on the harmonica connector.
Name:  HarmonicaConnector1980PinOuts.jpg
Views: 38685
Size:  20.2 KB
The wire is black, 18 gage.
Jim
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Jim. Horn was working perfectly before I pulled and replaced the column, to do interior work. I did pull the steering wheel also. I grounded the G position on the harmonica and get no horn. Horns work, as I hot-wired them. On my horn relay, there are the obvious HOT red wires coming into the relay large post, and two plugs on the bottom of the relay, one with a large green wire going TO the horns, and the other a smaller black wire, which I assume is coming FROM the steering column. I grounded the black wire, and get no horns.

More troubleshooting today. I have your troubleshooting paper Jim, so I'll work through that!

Rob
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM
grassgd
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on my son's 1973 horn. We verified all wiring works to horn relay which provides 12v out to the dark green wire going to the horn. We also verified the horn works by jumpering 12v direct to the horn connection. Although we verified the dark green wire from the relay to the horn has "continuity" with an ohm meter, once we put voltage to the wire at the relay end we get open circuit at the horn end. I know this makes no sense but we simply ran a new wire from the horn relay to the horn in place of the dark green wire and horn works. Other problem yet to be resolved is horn button shocks you when you blow the horn. I suspect this is a grounding problem where the horn and steel cross member the horn is bolted to is not properly grounded so the horn is grounding through you when you press the horn button.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn wiring from steering column?

Quick Reply: Horn wiring from steering column?