C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by CorvetteFirstTimer
it was a man in his 30's driving. I guess he was racing for the sales because he didn't even feel like tapping his brakes to slow a little bit. As far as the people in the van, the airbags did go off, and they are all fine. There was a man, an older woman and three kids in the van and all seemed fine. However, they didn't feel the need to ask us if we were ok even though they had just flipped our car, almost killed us and changed our life. Their van was more important. Go figure

you were at Walmart...I expected nothing less

glad you all are OK.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
great68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the window of the van their is a handicap sticker! Sometimes that means mentally handicap. Haha. Glad you and your dad or ok. God Bless you all.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW! Very fortunate to have escaped major injury.How stupid of the van driver for a total lack of common sense to be driving like that in a parking lot! Not only for others but for his own occupants.
Makes you wonder how it would have been if it was a C3 getting hit in the same type of accident.How safe are our Vettes?I know for myself when I drive mine I'm extra diligent watching out for the other driver.Practice defensive driving for sure.I will open her up only when there is a open stretch of road where there are no other cars around. Most of my close calls have always been other drivers doing something stupid,cell phones,not looking at the road,running red lights.Had a driver not paying attention wander in my lane causing me to veer off the road,go up a hill and flip over.A very scary feeling,luckily I was going slow due to rainy conditions.Just had scrapes and bruises.Fricken driver stopped looked then took off! I was driving my company's truck at the time.I probably drive much more cautious in the Vette than my daily driver.Due to the fact that the Vette doesn't have all the safety features of newer cars.
This goes to show that when your driving to never let your guard down not even in a parking lot!! Just amazing all parties are ok! Mahalo's & Aloha's.......Be safe everyone.......

Last edited by iokepakai; 04-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I'm glad that you and your Dad are both OK.
It's ridiculous that occorred in a parking lot.

I do know the feeling though as I too was a passanger in a roll over years ago. After you crawl along the inside of the roof and climb out the side window it does take a while to realize you're OK. You keep moving all you limbs and neck to make sure everything seems to be working as it should.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Genevieve72
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine how that could make the car flip. Glad you're ok.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
psycho dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, glad ur ok. My wife got t-boned Tuesday night in her Enclave by a car going about 45. She got banged up pretty bad, but the safety features saved her life.
Now I'm dealing with the jackasses at the insurance company who want to do $15,000 in repairs instead of replacing the car. Don't want to hijack your post with my rantings so I'll just stop here.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Was it seriously a Rhode Island car that hit you? I'm telling you, I got nothing personal against anyone from RI, but when I am driving around up here in Mass, and I see a RI plate, I grip the steering wheel a little tighter and do what I have to do to put some distance between me and them! They drive like maniacs up here! It's kinda weird, ya go down to RI, and everybody drives nice and normal, but once they cross the state line, they drive like they are mentally challenged. Eh, they probably say the same thing about us, what are ya gonna do?

That car sure doessn't look like it was hit hard enough to flip it over, does it? Cars are a lot better built today than people give them credit for. I am really happy that you two did not sustain any injuries, somebody up there must like you, huh?

If you wind up in court, trying to get a settlement out of this, just memorize this sentence, and keep msaying it to anybody involved: "I am having nightmares about the accident, and I can no longer achieve an erection." You will get paid!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
I must say this did make me chuckle. Since I used to live in Rhode Island, and I now live in Massachusetts, I can say that each state has their share fair of idiots out there. We were very lucky how it came out. I really am scared now everytime a car pulls up on a side street because I feel they won't stop and just plow into me as I pass by. However, the lovely driver that hit us doesn't have insurance or registration so anything we get is from our insurance company. He also isn't the one who needs the handicap sign (even though now I may believe different) but there was an older woman who actually owned the car.

No matter what anyone says, we were blind sided, and there was not one thing we could have done to prevent this from happening unless we knew somehow it was going to happen. We were just driving and out of no where somethig hit us and we flipped onto the roof.

I just thank God I'm still here. All the support is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
boeing46
Racer

I'm so glad you and Dad are OK. That could have ended badly. If you had been in a small rice burner it would be a different story in the (obits) for one or both. All of our cars are large American made cars and a Jeep Compass SUV with the side bags. God bless.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by scottyp99
That car sure doesn't look like it was hit hard enough to flip it over, does it?
That is what I thought when I saw the image. Especially since the side of the car looks like someone sideswiped a pole. I would have expected a large impact crater to flip a car.

Not trying to lessen the significance of the accident, it is just not what I expected.

Originally Posted by pewter99
you were at Walmart...I expected nothing less.
Walmart is full of stupid people. I park farthest from the doors as I can.

Check out www.peopleofwalmart.com. It will show you the kinds of people you are driving around.

Last, what is up with the van guy and him leaving his flip-flop on the other side of car? He is walking around with only one on.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

let me get this right....the driver of the van DID NOT have insurance or registration ???

should have gone straight to jail , with a fat lip....just sayin
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spocc
let me get this right....the driver of the van DID NOT have insurance or registration ???

should have gone straight to jail , with a fat lip....just sayin
You are right Spocc....Can you believe it?

We were in too much shock from the roll over to get to the fat lip part. But my sister, who came on the scene after was talking to driver of the van. She was saying that he should be ashamed of himself and he started to get mad she was talking to him like that. This guy had no courtisy (spelt that wrong) to ask if we were alright. Wouldn't look at us, for that matter didn't say a word to us. My sister hit it on the head when she said he should be ashamed. After she said this, he told my dad he should put a leash on her. My dad was very upset with that. I didn't hear him say it because I was talking to the news reporter, but if I did, his face would have needed reconstruction. I have always had a strong feeling about family and no one, especially someone who almost kills me and won't even ask if I am alright, will try and talk $hit about them. He is VERY lucky I didn't hear him.

Other than that, I am a very calm, nice individual.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

When are people going to stop treating car parks like racing tracks. It
seams, no matter where you go in the world they are all the same. Glad
you and your father are both OK!

Mark
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are ok. I would have gotten into an altercation with that van driver if that happened to me (god forbid that I never do)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So was the driver of the tragic-wagon charged with anything?

I would find an s.o.b. of a lawyer and go after this goof for everything he's worth. (which is probably not much)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brooklinite
So was the driver of the tragic-wagon charged with anything?

I would find an s.o.b. of a lawyer and go after this goof for everything he's worth. (which is probably not much)
We had gone to the police station of the jerisdiction where the accident had happened. The chief of police wouldn't tell us the charges he got, but had said that he wont be a free man for a long time. I'm guessing he had other things on him along with driving without insurance, registration, and probably a license. He isn't worth more than a totalled van and a suitcase of clothes. Luckily, we got every penny our car was worth. We are currently in the market for a new car and are glad we a safe. We were the lucky ones... Thanks for all the support!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by M A Fry
When are people going to stop treating car parks like racing tracks. It
seams, no matter where you go in the world they are all the same. Glad
you and your father are both OK!

Mark

You mean they aren't? Could have fooled me.

Glad to hear the OP and his dad are OK. Serious stuff can happen at what most consider "low speed".
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Also happy to read that you and your Dad made it out of the wreck ok.

Too many people don't understand the responsibility that goes with controlling motor vehicles; this stuff happens every day in every city and town bc drivers are so d@m distracted.

Thanks for all the pictures too.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Small Update:

We didn't get anything else for other than the payment for the new car. As far as I know, the other driver is still locked up, and we now know he was going 50mph or faster. As for people saying our car doesn't look like it had that much damage on the side, to be honest, I thought it would have been more, but we were also travelling foward at about 15-20mph. Our foward momentum, plus his hit caused us to go on two wheels and then flip. That transistion in motion is why the car didn't look to have that much damage. Also, another update, the malibu was stripped of its drive train and formed into a nice little cube, haha. Such a shame for an awesome and rare car.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Glad you and your dad are ok

Quick Reply: How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!