C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!

On Friday, Good Friday for anyone who knows about religion, me and my father got into a pretty bad accident. We were driving through a parking lot and a van going approx. 30-40mph through that lot completely blind sided us and t-boned our car. When he hit us, the impact caused our car to flip onto its roof. I blacked out with the impact and came to right after landing on the roof. I was in the passenger seat, where the car was struck. We had to climb out of the driver's side window. If it wasn't for Chevrolet's awesome engineering, side curtain airbags, and seat belts, I really don't believe I would be talking to you guys on this forum, or anyone else for that matter. We truely were lucky to come out virtually unscathed. Just with a few cuts and bruises, and the shock of the experience.

I feel special being able to share this experience and to tell you guys were are both alright. If you are asked to pay extra for the option of side airbags, BUY THEM. They saved my life and could save yours.

For anyone wondering what kind of cars were involved: Our car, a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS. Fast and fun to drive, also was in mint condition. The other car, a 2000 pontiac mini van (similar to a dodge caravan).

Here are some pictures of the after math:

Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i hate humans that drive fast thru parking lots or gas stations - i yell at them tell them to slow the F down

glad you are ok bud

Pete.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I see a C3!!

Wow, that's crazy. I can't imagine how that could make the car flip. Glad you're ok.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gratefully you both came out in piece!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lucky to walk away! WalMartians racing for sale prices - amazing stupidity!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear you and your father walked away. And credit goes to GM's engineering for building a safe car. And thank you for qualifying my decision to buy my wife a modern car with all the air bags. Now I'm glad I spent the money.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:21 PM
hammadown
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A Rhode Islander wiped you out in Mass...go figure.

Hammadown
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow... glad you are both OK after that. Must have been pretty scary! Hope the people in the van are OK as well? Doesn't look like their airbag went off which is odd at that speed.

Looks like the car you were in held up pretty darn well. You had a true blessing on Good Friday.

God Bless,
Adam
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 AM
cm2dinger
Racer

God's will is always done sounds like he has more plans for you.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM
wnmech
Drifting

You guys were truely lucky. I learned years ago when my wife was also T-boned by some S.O.B cutting parking lanes. I wish businesses would put barriers up dividing parking lanes to prevent these types of accidents.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Damn thats a shame your car was a sun roof car.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Beware Walmart Shoppers......Tawanda is on the loose...
Thankful your protected by more than just air bags......PTL
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 AM
golfradict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!!! glad you both able to live and tell this story.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was a woman driving the van?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you both made it out in one piece Minivan, cell phone & driving in flip flops is not a healthy combination...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

airbags save lives.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a plymouth voyager mini van not a Pontiac geeze!

Lol j/k on a serious note I am glad you are both ok that is a horrifying crash how old was the van driver? Thank god you didn't have your wife's or kids in the car. I hope there are no hidden kneck or back injured to pop up later tha is for sharing this it makes me glad I drive gmc truck with the air bags

I also saw the c3 in the tow yard picture

Get notified of new replies

To How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

You know, I am still in disbelief that it really happened. Since I blacked out, I don't remember the thrashing around of the car flipping over. My dad, however, saw and felt everything. To walk out of that alive, nevermind unscathed, was pretty amazing. We are currently looking for a new car, and the priority is not looks. It is safety. The Chevy Malibu Maxx SS had a five star side impact rating if I am not mistaken. We were checked out at Rhode Island Hospital that night; it took 5 hours. There was no broken bones or major injuries. Hopefully there are no hidden injuries. My back is sore, but I'm suspecting it to be from the side impact and flip. After all, I did have a van smash into me, not even a foot away, at 30-40mph, and flip. @69 Chevy, it was a man in his 30's driving. I guess he was racing for the sales because he didn't even feel like tapping his brakes to slow a little bit. As far as the people in the van, the airbags did go off, and they are all fine. There was a man, an older woman and three kids in the van and all seemed fine. However, they didn't feel the need to ask us if we were ok even though they had just flipped our car, almost killed us and changed our life. Their van was more important. Go figure @Hammadown, we will have to meet up some day at a show and share stories about life; now I know it is too short, and I'm only 18.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess you are happy to be alive, but I look at those pics and it makes me very angry when people do such stupid thoughtless things. I can't imagine driving that fast in a parking lot. How fast is that fast? Fast enough to flip a car that you run into. Fast enough to not notice a car in front of you? nuts!

Last edited by PRNDL; 04-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hammadown
A Rhode Islander wiped you out in Mass...go figure.

Hammadown
Was it seriously a Rhode Island car that hit you? I'm telling you, I got nothing personal against anyone from RI, but when I am driving around up here in Mass, and I see a RI plate, I grip the steering wheel a little tighter and do what I have to do to put some distance between me and them! They drive like maniacs up here! It's kinda weird, ya go down to RI, and everybody drives nice and normal, but once they cross the state line, they drive like they are mentally challenged. Eh, they probably say the same thing about us, what are ya gonna do?

That car sure doessn't look like it was hit hard enough to flip it over, does it? Cars are a lot better built today than people give them credit for. I am really happy that you two did not sustain any injuries, somebody up there must like you, huh?

If you wind up in court, trying to get a settlement out of this, just memorize this sentence, and keep msaying it to anybody involved: "I am having nightmares about the accident, and I can no longer achieve an erection." You will get paid!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Quick Reply: How a Chevy SAVED MY LIFE along with my fathers!