Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm, strut rod, half-shaft Installation - one method - long post

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
STRICK9
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem w/ my 1969 rear end rebuild. I have the body off, replaced all u-joints, T/A bushings (bearings and crush sleeve), strut arm bushings, spring hangers and insulators, and rear end pinion mounting bushings. When I rotate the wheels (by turning the wheels or the pinion shaft), there is a "hard spot" in the rotation. It lifts the T/As as the rotation goes through the spot. This happens w/ the suspension hanging or strapped up tight (shocks are not mounted) and w/ strut rods adjusted all the way in or out. I hope this is enough info for some help as I am ready to put the body back on. Thanks!!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM
STRICK9
Cruising

Default 1969 rear end rebuild problem

I have a problem w/ my 1969 rear end rebuild. I have the body off, replaced all u-joints, T/A bushings (bearings and crush sleeve), strut arm bushings, spring hangers and insulators, and rear end pinion mounting bushings. When I rotate the wheels (by turning the wheels or the pinion shaft), there is a "hard spot" in the rotation. It lifts the T/As as the rotation goes through the spot. This happens w/ the suspension hanging or strapped up tight (shocks are not mounted) and w/ strut rods adjusted all the way in or out. I hope this is enough info for some help as I am ready to put the body back on. Thanks!!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by STRICK9
Sounds like one of the u-joints is binding. With the arms hanging it's not that unusual but with them raised it should be smooth.

With both arms raised somewhat, block on wheel to prevent it from turning and rotate the other one, then switch. This should isolate which side is the issue.

If I had to guess, first thing I'd look at is the u-joint bracket that bolts to the axle. frequently bend during installation or removal of the u-joint.
M
Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
STRICK9
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mooser
Sounds like one of the u-joints is binding. With the arms hanging it's not that unusual but with them raised it should be smooth.

With both arms raised somewhat, block on wheel to prevent it from turning and rotate the other one, then switch. This should isolate which side is the issue.

If I had to guess, first thing I'd look at is the u-joint bracket that bolts to the axle. frequently bend during installation or removal of the u-joint.
M
Thanks, I talked to Justin @ Zip Tech and he also said it is normal w? the suspension hanging. I'll try getting it higher in the air w? straps to level the 1/2 shafts more and then try your suggestion of blocking each wheel to determine which side. Thanks, again....Jim

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm, strut rod, half-shaft Installation - one method - long post