C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I let my nephew drive the Vette to Prom?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default Should I let my nephew drive the Vette to Prom?

I know this has been discussed before but I'm a bit torn about this one. Adam is a great kid and very responsible. He has been driving for two years with no issues. I have no fear that he will abuse the car or go hot rodding around. The thing that concerns me with letting anyone drive it is the length of the hood. It is so easy to bump into something because you can't see the first couple of feet of the car when sitting in the drivers seat. I'm also a little concerned that the car has no choke and runs really badly until it warms up.
What do you all think?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

No!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope, not a chance. Kids are kids and peer pressure always get to them no matter how mature or well behaived they are.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
u2bdet
Instructor

Default Yesssss

Let him drive it ..if he's as responsible as you say ,It will make one of the most important days of his young life even more special ....

ITS ONLY A PIECE OF METAL !!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I forgot to say, I didn't let my step-son drive it to his prom. They tooks some pictures with it but I have never let him drive it. I feel horrible saying it but he is not responsible enough.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM
BFI6603
Instructor

Negative! Nothing good can come from this.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

He may be responsible, but the others there will not be.

Some clown is his mother's minivan or his own POS playing the fool and next thing you know your car eat's it. Or some other guy gets jealous of the "kid with the vette" and they key/egg/slash/run over.... the car to show how tough they are.

Where's the car while they are at the dance? In a parking lot full of teens? It'll be a jerk magnet unless someone is standing by it every minute of the evening.

Not sure how his prom works, maybe he can take his date out for dinner before the prom with it, or for a cruise that afternoon or next day.
Is it for him to drive the car or for his friends to see him driving it?

If everything goes smooth, it's a great memory, if anything goes wrong, it's tainted forever
IMHO
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes I'd let him.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Seems these type posts are more made so the poster will have a way out...lol
well it sucks out loud to play favorites with family members, that's right at the door of being a "Cheddar Richard" so for that alone you can't let the other kid use the car.
No matter how cool the kid might be IF and that is a huge categorical If he doesn't get all Fast and Furious with it then on the other side IF anything happened to it he would feel badly forever as you too might,
While my car is to drive not to look at I don't loan it out either.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Take him out beforehand to get a feel for it. Be perfectly clear that you trust him.....you just don't want him to feel bad if anything happens. Let him take it to prom....stay back about 10 minutes so he gets to have his moment of arrival with all his friends around, then meet him outside and exchange keys for something else. Win win. He gets to remember the moment, you come out looking great, and the car is returned home by you safe and sound. There isn't a kid on the planet who wouldn't take that deal.........
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Brands Hatch green '71 coupe with the same motor as yours, and a Magnetic red 2000 coupe. My son wanted to drive the C5 to his prom. He's uncommonly responsible for his age, and he is as protective of my cars as I am, so I let him take it. I admit, I was a little nervous, but everything was fine and it made a special occasion even better. I would say, if your car is show quality, or close, it might be too much of a risk. Otherwise, depending on how much you trust him, I'd say OK, but only if it wouldn't hurt your own son.
By the way, if you want to get a chuckle, search my posts and read the comments I got after I told the story on the C5 forum.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

EASY>>> Rent your nephew this

Then you can drive him and his buddies and their dates to the prom in a vette................
Gee you have a swell uncle, Walley.........
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 AM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
EASY>>> Rent your nephew this

Then you can drive him and his buddies and their dates to the prom in a vette................
Gee you have a swell uncle, Walley.........
That's the funniest thing I've seen on here in a long time!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

heck yea let him drive it, nothing is going to happen.
Also let your neighbor sleep in the same bed as your wife while your out of town,, you have to trust a person.
Oh yea, that guy in Africa who needs your checking account number to add that 5 million he is giving you, don't forget to trust him too, its worth it!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Go for it, just supply him with a couple of bottles of Jack and a box of condoms.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 AM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Take him out beforehand to get a feel for it. Be perfectly clear that you trust him.....you just don't want him to feel bad if anything happens. Let him take it to prom....stay back about 10 minutes so he gets to have his moment of arrival with all his friends around, then meet him outside and exchange keys for something else. Win win. He gets to remember the moment, you come out looking great, and the car is returned home by you safe and sound. There isn't a kid on the planet who wouldn't take that deal.........

As Alice Cooper once said..."Give the kid a break".

Get notified of new replies

To Should I let my nephew drive the Vette to Prom?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Im sure he is a great kid, but there are too many external "what ifs".
What will happen IF something does go wrong? Is your insurance policy going to cover vandalism or any other damage that may occur while the car is in the care of a 17 year old at a school prom?

Someone already mentioned that the car will be a jerk magnet, and I agree with that. Kids are jealous and dont understand that destructive behavior has a lasting effect on the property owner, all for 10 seconds of the "joyous" sensation of being a jerk. Keys, bottles, urine, you get the idea.

Lets also not forget the huge conflict of interest that you didnt let your stepson drive. How is he and YOUR WIFE going to feel if you let your nephew take the car.

Yes, its one day of his life that he would remember forever IF he takes the car. However, its the prom, a milestone of a high school student...if he doesnt take the car, it will not detract from the joy of the memory. Over the years of adulthood, these memories will also fade.

On the flipside, if something happens to the car, you will remember it for a long time.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM
kenpofan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
I know this has been discussed before but I'm a bit torn about this one. Adam is a great kid and very responsible. He has been driving for two years with no issues. I have no fear that he will abuse the car or go hot rodding around. The thing that concerns me with letting anyone drive it is the length of the hood. It is so easy to bump into something because you can't see the first couple of feet of the car when sitting in the drivers seat. I'm also a little concerned that the car has no choke and runs really badly until it warms up.
What do you all think?

Thanks,
Jeff
My 19 yr old son ,who his grandfather wanted to have the car before his passing, is a great kid, in his 1st year of college.
This Friday ,he takes his fiance to her senior prom..on the Mazda. ( probably more valuble at this moment)
No way , l do I let him drive the vette.. ( to much hard work and the world ain't full of them !)
It just is not worth the stress and problems that it would bring.
Its your car and your call but one momentary lapse on his part or a another less responsible classmate and you will regret that night .
IMHO .

Patrick the kenpofan..

Last edited by kenpofan; 04-18-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You are the only one who can say whether or not you trust him enough. If you let him use it, You and the date's father will be co most nervous dudes in town. Although you would be making a most memorable night for a couple young folks. In one way or another.
I can't say I'd do it, it would depend on my gut feeling.

Quick Reply: Should I let my nephew drive the Vette to Prom?