Sponsored by:

Which one sounds like the better car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which one sounds like the better car

So I know a major rule of thumb is getting the best car for the money. So when I am searching for a car and I come across a few that have had some work done and partial restorations I start trying to figure out which is the better car based on the work that has been done. For example a car might have a rebuilt or new crate motor...and another car might have all new suspension components. One might have new interior...on might have all new paint etc..etc...

So maybe yall can help me decide what is better, does "A" trump "B" and so on. So here are 3 different descriptions on cars I am interested in...based off of the descriptions which sounds like the better car...which would likely need less work in the future etc...And for arguments sake lets just assume that neither have rust problems...

Matching Numbers / 3-speed automatic transmission.
104,000 MILES
The engine is strong & there are no issues with this car - just age... It may need a paint job w/in 5 years, but the original paint is still holding up well (& is garage kept). I've listed everything I've done to the car over the last 5 years (in which it has gained about 2,000 miles during this time - so these upgrades are still "new").

- New timing chain & timing chain cover
- New brake callipers & pads
- New shocks
- New ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and neopreme bushings
- New half shafts and U-joints in the rear end
- New carpet, leather seats, door panels, and steering wheel
- New Holly carburetor
- New Edelbrock intake manifold
- New water pump
- New alternator, ignition & wires
- New exhaust from engine back with Cats and flowmasters
- New rubber around doors & t-tops
- New luggage rack & tail lights
- New JVC MP3 stereo & speakers
- New fuel pump
- New radiator hose goose-neck
- New rear-main seal
- New headlight vacuum tubes
- New fuel-line from tank to mid-chassis
- New transmission, including new gaskets around pan
- New oil-pan gasket
- New AC compressor lines (not yet charged, but I do have belt for compressor)
- New valve-covers & gaskets

1976 Chevy Corvette Stingray almost fully restored. I have receipts on most everything that I have done to this Stingray, over $14,000 in restoration done to this vehicle. This beauty has been kept in our garage and restored over the last 7 years. We have rebuilt the front and rear suspension, engine, transmission, exhaust and interior. This car runs strong, drives smooth, and feels as sharp as when it left the factory. Under the hood is the completely rebuilt, original numbers-matching engine and drive train. We removed the catalytic converters and installed a true dual exhaust system giving it a great exhaust note. This is a real American muscle car. The factory 712 Firethorn Red leather interior has been completely restored. The bucket seats are wrapped in brand new, OEM red Firethorn leather, new foam inserts. New deluxe door panels and new Firethorn Red carpet. Loaded with factory options including A/C, power windows, power brakes, power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, bucket seats, center console, new rally wheels and radial tires

Over the summer I had the car painted torch red with high end ppg products. The car still had the original engine and Trans, which ran great but I wanted more power. So I had a 383 built with all roller internals, scat crank, h beam rods and flat top pistons. Edelbrock performer rpm heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake, Holley 670 carb etc. And while engine was out I had transmission rebuilt. They jave probably less than 400 miles on them Interior is fairly nice. Nice seats, dash, new door panels, door panels still need a few trim pieces. All new weather strips. I misplaced the channel that goes on the t top that holds the outer part of weather strip in. The frame and bird cage are rust free. The car originally came from Florida about 6 years ago. For some of reason the core support has some rust in it but that's the only rust and my buddy has rust free one. I was gonna purchase from him but just haven't got around to it yet. When I had engine out I accidentally chipped the paint on the good while it was off. I was planning on buying an aftermarket stinger hood for it so I haven't been to concerned about it. I replaced the rear trailing arm bushings with polyurethane bushings. (that was quite a job to do). 2 new brake calipers. It still has the original rotors on it. So I really think the mileage is low. The front end had a lot of new bushing replaced right before I got it. Has new u joints in drive shaft. The half shafts look like they have been replaced at some point and feel good. I also put new fluid in differential. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM
GT's 78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a hard time differentiating the two cars. I know #2 is a 76 Stingray. Is #1 and #3 also 76's? or is #1 part of #2 or is #3 part of #2???????
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The second one if priced fairly sounds like your most worry free option ready to drive.

Then #3
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

I think 1 is a 77 from an earlier post. No idea what 3 is. Of the 1st and 2nd, if everthing checks out, #2 is the better for me. Never underestimate the cost of a suspension or complete interiror resto. No idea about 3.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Not sure on #3. Between #1 and #2, #2 would get my attention. This is depending on the cost of course.

Interior restoration is incredibly expensive. I was able to build an entire SBC and a 4spd for less than the interior will cost. #1 comes across as having some nice things done - but more on the R&R side. #2 seems to have had the heart rebuilt first - engine, suspension, etc. More of what I would call the hard core mechanical parts.

Adam
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT's 78
I'm having a hard time differentiating the two cars. I know #2 is a 76 Stingray. Is #1 and #3 also 76's? or is #1 part of #2 or is #3 part of #2???????

That just confused me...and I wrote it

1, 2, 3 are all different cars.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Here is an interior shot of both 1 and 2.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car number 1 has been listed in Savannah Craigslist off and on for many months now. I'm not certain why it has not sold but it's still out there. Car number 2 sounds like an aging renovation which has had extensive work done... some of which might not be as "fresh" as once was. My gut tells me this one is owned and cared for by an adult... take that as you will. Car number 3 just turns me off. It might be the haphazard description, or the actual verbiage in the listing but I don't get a good feeling about how the car was built/treated from reading the description. I'll take what's behind door number 2 if I have to choose from these sight unseen.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stroh
I think 1 is a 77 from an earlier post. No idea what 3 is. Of the 1st and 2nd, if everthing checks out, #2 is the better for me. Never underestimate the cost of a suspension or complete interiror resto. No idea about 3.
Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Not sure on #3. Between #1 and #2, #2 would get my attention. This is depending on the cost of course.

Interior restoration is incredibly expensive. I was able to build an entire SBC and a 4spd for less than the interior will cost. #1 comes across as having some nice things done - but more on the R&R side. #2 seems to have had the heart rebuilt first - engine, suspension, etc. More of what I would call the hard core mechanical parts.

Adam
Sounds like no one is interested in 3.

They both have good interior. Both seem to have had a lot of work done. So now of course price comes into play.

1. $7,300(yes the car from previous thread)

2. $9,500

So from the descriptions given and the work that they "said" they have done...is #2 worth 2 grand more than #1?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by markids77
Car number 1 has been listed in Savannah Craigslist off and on for many months now. I'm not certain why it has not sold but it's still out there. Car number 2 sounds like an aging renovation which has had extensive work done... some of which might not be as "fresh" as once was. My gut tells me this one is owned and cared for by an adult... take that as you will. Car number 3 just turns me off. It might be the haphazard description, or the actual verbiage in the listing but I don't get a good feeling about how the car was built/treated from reading the description. I'll take what's behind door number 2 if I have to choose from these sight unseen.
I was wondering if someone here lived down in Savannah.
He is in Richmond Hill...have you seen the car?

If I shoot you some beer money would you go take a look at it for me?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's be real, the choice to buy a C3 is based on emotion as much as logic. If the mechanicals all check out and all three cars are relatively free of rust, then I think you should go with your heart. Which car do you want the most? (Subject to your budget of course)
There's no feeling like getting the exact car you want.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Let's be real, the choice to buy a C3 is based on emotion as much as logic. If the mechanicals all check out and all three cars are relatively free of rust, then I think you should go with your heart. Which car do you want the most? (Subject to your budget of course)
There's no feeling like getting the exact car you want.
This is true.

The thing about these cars, well at least 1 and 2 is that they are both white. 1. has new tan interior 2. has new red interior.

I don't think either of these cars would ever stay white. Maybe for a couple of years. I am more concerned about the mechanical aspect. My favorite color is black, after that some sort of silver and I love Steel Cities Gray!

Problem is majority of Black c3's were not black to begin with and I think one day I want to try and paint my own car anyway
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

I'll go look for the fun of it. I will state up front that my C3 experience is limited to the knowledge gained while building my unfinished 1977. If that's OK I'll try and get out there sometime this weekend, just let me know.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Dose11
Drifting

I'll go look for the fun of it. I will state up front that my C3 experience is limited to the knowledge gained while building my unfinished 1977. If that's OK I'll try and get out there sometime this weekend, just let me know.
I have faith that you know what glitter on top of crap looks like if you catch my meaning!

That would be great...any set of eyes laid on it is more than what has been done already. If you look at it and think...hmm 7300 is too high for this car...then I would probably think the same.

But that would be awesome if you could go take a look for me
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

#2........
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Dose11
Drifting

hmm all votes for number 2 so far.

I am seeing that car this week or weekend.

Just got this info from them
The engine was rebuilt by a mechanic in Lawrenceville by the name of Calvin Nabors. He was recommended to me by J.D. from Corvette City. J.D. did all the work on my car until Corvette City stopped doing mechanical. He went to work for a racing team in North GA and referred me over to Calvin, who did all the major mechanical from that point on.

The work that has been done is pretty much everything when you are talking about mechanical and suspension. Everything was replaced with stock parts except the carburetor, which was replaced with a Holley four barrel, and the exhaust system (we opted to put in a stock part from a 1973 Corvette so we don't have the catalytic converter).

We redid the interior ourselves. The crossbars still need to be replaced and the dashboard has a small crack. Everything else is redone with the deluxe interior kit.

The last thing would be the paint and the exterior trim, which we have not done. The paint is intact save for a few nicks, but a new paint job would make this car gorgeous.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Well fate is making that decision a little easier...the car sold a little while ago. Guy went and looked at it, and bought it on the spot. Talking about #1 The white and tan car!

Thanks again Markids77 for attempting to go check it out for me!

Get notified of new replies

To Which one sounds like the better car

Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

You're welcome. If there is another in this area I'll be happy to look for you... perhaps even get there next time!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM
CHarper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You're welcome. If there is another in this area I'll be happy to look for you... perhaps even get there next time!
Hey Mark how's your car coming? Don't underestimate your self, I would trust your opinion any day. I'm almost done stripping paint. Sure is a daunting task!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Thanks Charles. Small nearly invisible steps like weatherstrip installation, glass adjustment, T-top adjustment and underdash work. It's good progress but not "photo worthy". There will soon be enough new stuff for an update to my build thread. Keep scraping... you're almost there!

Quick Reply: Which one sounds like the better car