C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone created a iPhone/iPod docking station mod for a c3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i'll play this game as well.....
i dont have a radio in my '72 at the moment, so i bought a small amp (not much bigger than a cigarette packet) from fleabay bout 15$.
i sat it on the tunnel in behind where the radio goes, wired into the switched radio power leads.
i then plug my samsung smart phone in for tunes, it works well when not plugged in for charging!
as soon as i plug the charger into the ciggie lighter socket, i get engine whine thru the speakers, unplug it and it goes back to normal...
have even pulled a charger apart and wired it to the same power as the amp, no change, as soon as i plug into the phone, i get whine.

any ideas?
does anybody else have this type of noise problem with their ipod/phone/mp3 and how did you fix it?
I have the same problem. My solution: charge the iPod prior to leaving the house...and make sure you press "pause" or shut it off when you are not in the car! Sorry I don't have a better fix for you.

I am currently using an original Delco radio that had been refurbed with an aux input jack in the faceplate. Got it on Ebay from seller: custom_radios_oem

Andy
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i'll play this game as well.....
i dont have a radio in my '72 at the moment, so i bought a small amp (not much bigger than a cigarette packet) from fleabay bout 15$.
i sat it on the tunnel in behind where the radio goes, wired into the switched radio power leads.
i then plug my samsung smart phone in for tunes, it works well when not plugged in for charging!
as soon as i plug the charger into the ciggie lighter socket, i get engine whine thru the speakers, unplug it and it goes back to normal...
have even pulled a charger apart and wired it to the same power as the amp, no change, as soon as i plug into the phone, i get whine.

any ideas?
does anybody else have this type of noise problem with their ipod/phone/mp3 and how did you fix it?
You can get a noise filter designed for your in dash stereo. The concept should be the same for an ipod. It's really just a capacitor. It absorbs voltage spikes that translate into electrical noise. All's you need to do is connect it to the power supply for the amp/charger.

Other diagnostics, you can check your grounds by running a jumper wire from the ground circuit directly to the battery. If the noise clears up you've found your problem.

One oher possibility since your noise changes with engine speed. Use a digital voltmeter set to read AC voltage. Start car and measure voltage at the back of the alternator. Since the voltage is supposed to be rectified to DC it should read close to 0 volts while in the AC setting. If it reads more than 30 mv, then the alternator may be creating "noise". Or if you dont' have a voltmeter, just see if the noise is there when the engine is not running.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
You can get a noise filter designed for your in dash stereo. The concept should be the same for an ipod. It's really just a capacitor. It absorbs voltage spikes that translate into electrical noise. All's you need to do is connect it to the power supply for the amp/charger.

Other diagnostics, you can check your grounds by running a jumper wire from the ground circuit directly to the battery. If the noise clears up you've found your problem.

One oher possibility since your noise changes with engine speed. Use a digital voltmeter set to read AC voltage. Start car and measure voltage at the back of the alternator. Since the voltage is supposed to be rectified to DC it should read close to 0 volts while in the AC setting. If it reads more than 30 mv, then the alternator may be creating "noise". Or if you dont' have a voltmeter, just see if the noise is there when the engine is not running.
i tried a noise filter on the power lead to the amp, and even on the charger that i pulled apart. no change.

the alternator has just been rebuilt with a complete kit, rectifier, diodes, voltage reg etc.
plug charger in with motor off, charges phone and no whine, start engine, and i get whine.
the noise is only present when the motor is running....

only thing i havent tried is a direct ground to the battery

Originally Posted by Slotehog
I am currently using an original Delco radio that had been refurbed with an aux input jack in the faceplate. Got it on Ebay from seller: custom_radios_oem

Andy
hope you dont mean custom autosound radios, (USA630) that's why i dont have a radio in my car now... bought one, piece of $h!t

do you have a link?

Last edited by riverracer au; 04-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a head unit issue or a seriously bad grounding path.
The iStreamer is as far as I know, the best way to convert the digital signal to analog and charge the unit at the same time. iStreamer
Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMojo
I just bought this: http://www.eskimo.com/~leftcst/iWeb/...le_stereo.html
My plan is to bypass the factory radio altogether. This unit serves as a small amp and drives the speakers directly. I'm going to try and mount the interface into the ashtray, then a usb to ipod is all I need and it stays charged and plays all at the same time.
Does it play from the USB or from the 3mm or both? I would like to be able to charge and play with just the 30-pin iPod connector, keep the clutter cleaned up.

Quick Reply: Anyone created a iPhone/iPod docking station mod for a c3?