C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to resto, clean-up or detail these '78 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
gregmuzila
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOT THE ANSWER..... From Corvette Restoration Guide Book

"Aluminum wheels were offered as an option in 78-82. In 78 and 79, the aluminum wheels on all corvettes except the Pace Cars have semi-gloss black painted center sections and small chrome-plated hub caps with semi-gloss black painted centers.

Also, the 78 and 79 aluminum wheels are unpainted inside the edges of the rectangular slots, and are not clear coated."

Kinda strange, looks like my car wheels are from Pace car due to the painted black rectangular slots, even tho my hubs are blacked
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by karol
Absolutely the stock wheels that came with the car? any way you can talk to the owner to find out more about the wheels.

This would be contrary to the NCRS Technical Info & Judging guide for 78-79. Very interesting.

Here is Kap's anniversary with 1400 miles. check out the wheels:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...477-miles.html
I was the PO and we took it to Bloomington where it Benchmarked.....the Judge that was a NCRS Judge as well said to take it to get it Top Flighted that it was a terrific example of a unrestored, original silver anniversary car...... here is a pic of the wheels at that show. They came on the car NO Question.....it's a 10,000 mile car.....
I am not saying I am an expert or they are correct, I'm just saying what is....they have blacked out slots but, that's it.....
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
atikovi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
They came on the car NO Question.....it's a 10,000 mile car.....
I am not saying I am an expert or they are correct, I'm just saying what is....they have blacked out slots but, that's it.....
I'm no expert but I don't think they had GT II tires in '78 so I would say your PO did some swapping of at least tires and then probably wheels.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Here's some advice I got:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...storation.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'm no expert but I don't think they had GT II tires in '78 so I would say your PO did some swapping of at least tires and then probably wheels.
I put those tires on those wheels... I had the original tires too...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeall1968
I would first spray it with a muriatic acid solution to clean it of all dirt, grease, and whatever. The clear will not be affected by the acid, dealerships do this to new wheels when they detail a car.
BEWARE!!! - Muriatic acid will eat bare aluminum like butter.
I use it in my work to clean melted pistons off steel cylinder walls.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, noob here.

What if the black paint is in good shape on my wheels, and I just wanted to polish up the aluminium. Will polishing with one of those power *****, and the mothers mag + aluminum polish ruin the black paint? How can I protect what is already there while I polish.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

If the wheels are off, find a plastic lid off of a margarine container the right size (doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to keep the ball from going into the flat, even 1/2" smaller should be fine)
Put a carriage bolt through the center with a 1x2 or something on the back to hold it and buff away
Mooser
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I was the PO and we took it to Bloomington where it Benchmarked.....the Judge that was a NCRS Judge as well said to take it to get it Top Flighted that it was a terrific example of a unrestored, original silver anniversary car...... here is a pic of the wheels at that show. They came on the car NO Question.....it's a 10,000 mile car.....
The wheels shown here, are not 78 wheels. The center caps on the wheels, aren't 78 either. The caps on those wheels are 80-81's, and the wheels appear to be too. 78 cap emblems used the traditional, Corvette crossed flags, while 80-81 caps used the flat stylized flags, first introduced in 1980.

It may be a 10,000 mile car, and it may be "un-restored", but that still doesn't mean that someone didn't change the wheels. That it received a Benchmark, does not guaranty that the wheels are correct either. It's possible that they were missed by the judges, or that they gave the Benchmark, in spite of the wheels.

The first image below is of a 78 Silver Anniversary from the center spread of the 1978 sales brochure. You can clearly see the black center aluminum wheels, and the "traditional" flags on the center caps. The second image is of an 1980 Corvette from an '80 issue of Corvette News, showing the 80-81 style wheels and center cap.

The third image is a 78 center cap. This is a Pace Car cap, but the emblem is the same as used on all 78's.

The final image is of a 80-81 center cap and wheel, from my 81. This picture was taken in November 81, 3 days after I took delivery of the car.

The flags used in 80-81, are quite different from the ones used from 76-79.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
If the wheels are off, find a plastic lid off of a margarine container the right size (doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to keep the ball from going into the flat, even 1/2" smaller should be fine)
Put a carriage bolt through the center with a 1x2 or something on the back to hold it and buff away
Mooser

Thanks. The slots are also painted black on my 78. Which I'd like to keep since it looks cool, even though this thread is telling me it's not original. Any tips on protecting the slots?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Thanks. The slots are also painted black on my 78. Which I'd like to keep since it looks cool, even though this thread is telling me it's not original. Any tips on protecting the slots?
The powerball things won't really go into the slots much unless you try. Take some masking tape and just tape off the first 1/2" or so would be lots. I'd try one without masking or anything, you'll probably be fine

I'd probably find something foam like (pool noodle?) and cut it more or less to the slot shape, and stuff them into the slots.
You really just need something to prevent the ball fingers from going into the slot and polishing the sides on the way out
Mooser
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=gbvette62;1580689351]The wheels shown here, are not 78 wheels. The center caps on the wheels, aren't 78 either. The caps on those wheels are 80-81's, and the wheels appear to be too. 78 cap emblems used the traditional, Corvette crossed flags, while 80-81 caps used the flat stylized flags, first introduced in 1980.

It may be a 10,000 mile car, and it may be "un-restored", but that still doesn't mean that someone didn't change the wheels. That it received a Benchmark, does not guaranty that the wheels are correct either. It's possible that they were missed by the judges, or that they gave the Benchmark, in spite of the wheels.

The first image below is of a 78 Silver Anniversary from the center spread of the 1978 sales brochure. You can clearly see the black center aluminum wheels, and the "traditional" flags on the center caps. The second image is of an 1980 Corvette from an '80 issue of Corvette News, showing the 80-81 style wheels and center cap.

The third image is a 78 center cap. This is a Pace Car cap, but the emblem is the same as used on all 78's.

The final image is of a 80-81 center cap and wheel, from my 81. This picture was taken in November 81, 3 days after I took delivery of the car.

The flags used in 80-81, are quite different from the ones used from 76-79.

Thank you for the info..... I learn something everyday... I would have bet, those were the correct wheels.....I wonder where the heck the originals are?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
The powerball things won't really go into the slots much unless you try. Take some masking tape and just tape off the first 1/2" or so would be lots. I'd try one without masking or anything, you'll probably be fine

I'd probably find something foam like (pool noodle?) and cut it more or less to the slot shape, and stuff them into the slots.
You really just need something to prevent the ball fingers from going into the slot and polishing the sides on the way out
Mooser
Thanks for the help, Mooser. I will try this!

Quick Reply: How to resto, clean-up or detail these '78 wheels?