Sponsored by:

Need Indiana C3 People Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
tterz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Indiana C3 People Help!!

Ok, so I have a 1980 L-48 which I inherited a year or so ago and I have started to put it back on the road. I have spoken to a few people and they have stated that the L-48 motor will pass Indiana emissions without the emissions items being connected on the car. So....i removed all of the air tubes, plugged them, removed the heat shield from exhaust manifold on the passenger side exhaust manifold and the smog pump was already gone before I got the car....

Well, I am putting this thread out there today to understand similar experiences other Indiana C3ers have had relating to this same topic.

Will I be ok with the removal of this stuff and will I pass emissions?
Is there additional configuration that I need to complete on the motor since these items have been removed?

The car does not really run that well right now. Plugs, cap, rotor, wires have all been replaced, but the car has a bit of a rough idle and a strong smell of gas after the car is shut-off. I believe I still have an exhaust leak on the drivers side where the manifold connects to the exhaust pipe and i plan to fix that this weekend with a new "donut".

I really do not know where to go with emissions and motor configuration for this car at this point. Emissions stuff is pretty expensive and I really do not want to purchase unless specifically necessary.

Please advise.....

TTERZ
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Have you looked at the Indiana DMV/Emissions site to see what the requirements are? Did you do the ignition parts replacement? Have you attempted to adjust the carburetor idle speed and mixture screws? Have you looked down the carburetor throat after shutting off a hot engine to see if gas was dripping?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
tterz
Instructor

Requirements? As to if i need to take the test or not....I DO.
Ignition Parts Replacement? Are you speaking of coil pack on top of cap? If so, yes, that is new and was recently replaced with other tune up items.
Have not adjusted carburetor at all because I am hesitant to adjust something that might not be the problem if something else is causing it.
And Yes, there is no gas dripping into the bowls after shut-off. I have checked that.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm not a Hoosier. Your gasoline smell could be coming from the charcoal cannister.

I agree with MelWff. Touch base with your DMV and get the official word on what you need for emissions testing.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
tterz
Instructor

Easy Mike, can you elaborate more on "what I need from DMV". Are you speaking of readings that i need to have in order to pass or equipment that needs to be installled on the car itself? They are probably I assume going to tell me I need everything on the car, hence my thread here to see what everyone else's experiences have been specific to what they had installed on there cars to pass.

TTERZ
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
tterz
Instructor

Ok, so I called the Clean Air facility near me and they stated that since the 1980 had a catalytic converter on it for that year, it needs the coverter and all emissions testing hardware for the test......she stated that they connect a probe to the tailpipe to test for proper emissions, but she did not state whether or not they do a visual underhood inspection. Will the car pass without the air tubes and smog pump, but with the converter?

I could also go the antique route at this point, but not sure if there are advantages or disadvantages to this option other than it would not require testing.

TTERZ
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

You have to ask if they do an underhood inspection. If you have the option to go antique go for it and stop worrying about emissions and enjoy the vastly reduced insurance bills.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Stickman82
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

License your Corvette outside of Lake or Porter county- problem solved!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Indiana has any inspection programs, unless individual cities do,but not aware of any
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
tomvanparis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Indianapolis and there are no auto inspection requirements that I'm aware of in the state. I bought my '69 last year and all I needed to do is take the car to the BMV to verify the VIN
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

They will put a mirror under the car to check for a cat...or at least pretend to look for a cat.
After that they will check the gas cap and then pull it onto a dyno. The exhaust will be sampled at idle and various speeds.

They won't even bother to pop the hood open to check for any other controls.

If the car is running like crap, you're not going to pass even with 100% of emissions controls intact.
If the car is running perfect and you have a catalytic converter, I'd say you have a very good chance at passing with all the other stuff missing.
Get the car running perfect and give it a try with what you have. If you fail then it may be time to put the smog pump back on.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

my area does not have any testing .make sure that the cat is good .drive it down and get it checked .they may not even do a visual if it passes the sniffer.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

So Indiana is a no test area too.... has been for a few years now... I guess when the caught the guy running it scamming it kind of ended it for us.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jus go to another county to register. No big deal
Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

If you go to the web site for Indiana it states this:

"Vehicles registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years from 1976 and newer passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,000 pounds or less.

Tampering check:
means visual inspection of the following:
a. catalytic converter
b.fuel filter caps
c.pcv system
d.evaporative systems

If you can go any where in the state then certainly stay away from these counties. If not then tune and hope. Good luck.

Last edited by BKarol; 04-27-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: error
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
Jus go to another county to register. No big deal
Please explain how that is done.

I'm in Porter County and want to register in Jasper.

What address in Jasper County will I use? A friend or relative? If I claim that address belongs to me, how do I explain it being in my friend or relative's name? If I say I'm living there, how do I explain my house in Porter County linked to my DRIVER'S LICENSE and insurance information? Or why I don't want to get a new driver's license issued to that address after so many days as required by law?

A random P.O. Box in Jasper would be a mailing address, not the required residential address, so we can rule out that possibility...not to mention it still having the issues mentioned above.

Do I literally sign my expensive vintage car over to my friend or relative so that they can register and insure it? What if they have a crappy driving record? In the case of classic car insurance, whose house will it be kept at? And what if they get pissed off at me and decide I'm never to see or use their car again?

And lastly, Indiana counties are huge. What if someone has no friends or relatives outside of Lake and Porter? Or even if they do, what if those people want nothing to do with having a car linked to them?

I just passed on a gray market Porsche 928 Euro which I would have really liked to own but knew it didn't stand a chance at passing an emissions test.

People keep telling me it's no big deal...I just need the detailed instructions that make it "no big deal".
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Originally Posted by karol
If you go to the web site for Indiana it states this:

"Vehicles registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years from 1976 and newer passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,000 pounds or less.

Tampering check:
means visual inspection of the following:
a. catalytic converter
b.fuel filter caps
c.pcv system
d.evaporative systems

If you can go any where in the state then certainly stay away from these counties. If not then tune and hope. Can always go with antique plates to avoid the problems. Good luck.

Please cite a source for antique plates getting a car out of emission testing in Lake or Porter County Indiana.

And as I said in my reply earlier...they don't even pop the hood during the emissions test, let alone check for any controls other than a catalytic converter. Which Clean Air Site in Lake or Porter County did you use where they checked your pvc and evaporative controls?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Indiana C3 People Help!!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I went to the web site and started reading.

Here is where they talk about the visual inspection requirement:

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2655.htm
click on 326 highlighted, then to page 3 which states a visual. Whether they do it or not is their choice.

Like I posted I cant imagine you can just go to another county but others seem to think it is that easy. I edited my previous post about the antique. My bad, usually that is the easy way out but these counties are strict.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
vairxpert
Pro

I was hoping you found something on the antique plates as the laws here are supposed to be changing, but no mention as to what.

So far the only cool thing about the antique plate is that you can use an old plate from the same year your car was made.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been dealing with this for the past 5 years.

When I bought my '79, it had dual exhaust and dual cats.
All other smog equipment had been removed. Lake County emmision said no go. All factory equipment must be there to pass their "visual" as well as actual sniff test. YES THEY DID LOOK UNDER THE HOOD.

You have two options to get around emmissions.
1. Apply for a "show car exemption". You are limited to 2000 miles per year and "show validation" of entering at least 2 car shows per year. These can be anything, don't need to be high dollar shows. You still have to take the car in every two years with your verification and they stamp your renewal with the "exempt" pass so you can renew your plates. I've been doing this since I bought the car. I've got no emmissions equipment, built motor, and side pipes. No additional cost other than any fees you may pay for entering shows. It's a bit annoying to maintain the proof of shows though. The last time, I had a dash plaque from a buddies car that I used for proof of one show and they did not question it.

2. Apply for "antique plates". You must pass an Indiana State Police physical vehicle check that shows that the car is "found to be in such mechanical condition that it can be operated safely on the highways of this state". No emmissions are checked or cared about. They check to make sure the car is safe and functioning..all lights work, all safety features are there, horn works, wipers, etc. emmissions are not a factor. You pay a fee for the antique license plate, but no requirement for shows or any other documentation. The inspection is a one time thing. Once you do it, you are done for ever.

I'm scheduled to have my '79 checked at the Lowell State Police office next week for my antique plates.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2407.htm

■Affidavit For Inspection Of An Antique Vehicle - State Form 37935
http://www.in.gov/bmv/2349.htm

Last edited by blckslvr79; 04-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Indiana C3 People Help!!