Sponsored by:

Changing Heater core in a 69 with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
driddick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Heater core in a 69 with A/C

We two heater cores later from Napa and Tidewater Corvette in Moyock .. shes done..

The job was not bad at all.. you have to remove the dash.. ducting... one bolt in the engine bay.. three on the firewall.. three attached the ducting to the box... two braces... this is after you remove the passenger dash and the center cluster... disconnect the heater hoses.. and shes done... label your vacuum hoses too and do not forget to connect the ones in the rear of the heater box and bolt it in like i did.. I had to do it all over.. only took 10 minutes to get it out the second time.. first time.. 35 minutes... installed in 30 as well...

Not sure why some think this is a hard job.. just take your time and keep the screws together....

The NAPA one does not fit.. it says its 2.5 inches thick.. its only 2 and wont strap down using the brackets.. I went to Tidewater Corvette.. they had a AC Delco unit in stock... the first had a loose connection and I had to return it... They had another one in stock.. it was a perfect fit... the NAPA brand was a waste of time...

Not a bad job at all.. probable the most fun I've hard working on it.. I replaced the trailing arm bushing and the spring bushings.. that was a heck of a job... but not that bad either .. cudos to VBP.. They make great parts...

The AC delco heater core was 125.00 compared to 80 at NAP or ZIP Corvette but I wanted something fast and GM endorsed... Its not leaking so work the extra 40 bucks...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I also recently have done this job. I also went to Napa and while their website lists a 2.5" depth, it turns out the heater core you will get is 2". It's made by Spectra. My NAPA ordered a 2nd core and it was the same as the first thinking the 1st was mis-packaged. I ended up getting the heater core from Summitt Racing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...e-69-w-ac.html

Last edited by TWINRAY; 05-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing Heater core in a 69 with A/C