Sponsored by:

Why did GM so under power the late C3s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
V8Ranger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Actually, the only year the mustang came without a V8 was 74. Ford brought back the 302 in 1975 with 140hp.
Those were dark times. And devlopment cycles being what they are, the 80-82 vette were being designed when there were severe gas shortages. The engineers had to do what they could with what they had to increase fuel mileage and meet emissions requirements.
Dark days indeed!
The 74 Mustang II was available with a V8 in Mexico and was rated at 205 hp. It was our EPA causing all the problems. The small block Chevy making 200 at that time in the US was very good.

Carl
Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vairxpert
They actually had the technology but didn't seem to want to use it.
The Vega was available with EFI way back in 1975. Pretty impressive stuff for a time when many people hadn't even seen an electronic calculator yet.
For some reason Delco and Bosch didn't like to work together, and Bosch held all the cards on EFI systems in the 70s. There is an interesting if short discussion about the EFI procurement/development headaches in Dave McLellan's "Corvette from the Inside."
Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has touched on the fact that they were not to much under powered as the 60-early70s were just over powered. Even today in the 2012 ford f150 5.0 you only get 350hp. That is 40 years of innovation to only give you 50 more horsepower out of an all aluminum design engine. The 2012 silverado is the same with the 5.3 putting out 320hp. Yes they are gutless in comparison to a few years previous but over all they are not sooo horrible. Also the body design an lack of downforce keep these cars from being high speed vehicles anyway. A new z06 can do around 200mph a hopped up c3 with an lsx built to the max would flip into the air before it hit 160 on stock suspension. They were great for what they were. They were the best thing on the road at the time. An they had to be loved by the market even with the gas crisis b/c they sold out 50k of the 79 model an at the time late c3s were the priciest vettes ever.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse10886
No one has touched on the fact that they were not to much under powered as the 60-early70s were just over powered. Even today in the 2012 ford f150 5.0 you only get 350hp. That is 40 years of innovation to only give you 50 more horsepower out of an all aluminum design engine. The 2012 silverado is the same with the 5.3 putting out 320hp.
Yes, but you have to keep in mind that those 2012 motors are producing that horsepower with a tiny fraction of the emissions that were allowed in the mid 70s when engines of that size produced about 1/3 that amount of horsepower. Doing that and getting considerably improved gas mileage is a huge feat even if the 2012 motors only produce 50 more hp over what such an engine might have produced in 1970.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
What other options? During those years what other car had more than 200hp? The manufacturers had all they could handle trying to keep up with tougher emissions requirements every year. Before electronic fuel injection, distributorless ignitions and sophisticated computers, 190hp was the only option.
Gas prices and insurance had nothing to do with it. You can easily insure 600hp cars now.
GM surly has some of the great engineers in the car industry. I think they just got lazy and just went cheap with the standard 350. Ya can't tell me they couldn't have come up with an H.O. 305/350 that would meet the emissions requirements. They did some amazing things with the 327 and got up 375hp for certain cars in the 60s. They only had to make it pass emissions. GM made some extremely H.O. 6 cylinder engines for some cars in subsequent yrs. 300hp should have been the bare minimum in my own personal opinion. Corvette says power just by it's looks alone. In many states we can't even drop a 383 stroker in for fear of not even being allowed on the road. I'm not a professional or even an amateur mechanic so consider the source I was just wondering about why? Thanks for your input guys.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
boeing46
Racer

[QUOTE=demoke;1580799435]
Originally Posted by boeing46
I understand the smog issues but 190HP. There are so many other options they could have used. Don't get me wrong, The 350 is a great motor and wears like iron but I'm talking about one of the best looking (in my opinion) GM cars ever. Sorta like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Ferrari.[/QUOT

I thought the same way about the looks and practicallity of the 80-82 C3's. I knew they had low hp but loved the curves and look of those years. I traded a 94 C4 vert for a 1980 4/speed that i have since had an engine rebuild, interior overhaul and countless other detail. I now have a beautiful C3 with the engine hp i wanted(around 385hp) and completly customised without comprimise.
You can't do that legally in California and many other states. If I could I would.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

GM surly has some of the great engineers in the car industry. I think they just got lazy and just went cheap with the standard 350. Ya can't tell me they couldn't have come up with an H.O. 305/350 that would meet the emissions requirements.
They couldn't come up with an H.O 305/350 that would meet the emissions requirements. That's why you had the 200-225 hp L82 in those years. If they could have done better they would have.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
GM was way behind the times on fuel injection and computer controls.
RONG!!!! what YOU don't know would fill the encyclopedia of auto history.....

IF you want a explanation of history PM me, to remind me in case I miss this thread.....

I will come back to esplain it to you Lucy......

Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM
boeing46
Racer

Please don't get me wrong here. I think the late model C3s are among the hottest looking Vettes ever and I love mine. There are just so many modern family cars today with smaller engines that are faster than my V8. I still contend that the GM engineers of the day could have put in a little more effort for the only true American sports car. My 81 305 H.O. Camaro was very fast. They just didn't do it. Why can't I drop in a modern motor with more HP like some of the latest Camaro's 426hp, Charger's 470hp and Corvette's 638hp ect. The EPA standards are the same as far as I know. It's just illegal in many states. I love my black beauty and it is so much fun to drive.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
...or worse yet put together some econobox with a few curves and call it a 'vette and bastardize the name like many other cars have had done to them.
Yes, they called that version the C4.

-W
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Please don't get me wrong here. I think the late model C3s are among the hottest looking Vettes ever and I love mine. There are just so many modern family cars today with smaller engines that are faster than my V8. I still contend that the GM engineers of the day could have put in a little more effort for the only true American sports car. My 81 305 H.O. Camaro was very fast. They just didn't do it. Why can't I drop in a modern motor with more HP like some of the latest Camaro's 426hp, Charger's 470hp and Corvette's 638hp ect. The EPA standards are the same as far as I know. It's just illegal in many states.
I've never heard of a law in any state preventing you putting a modern motor in an older car. It can work the other way around, that you can't put an old high pollution motor in a modern car but if your old car can meet emission standards I'm pretty sure they don't care that you put a newer motor in it.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by brent319
I am just glad that GM did not get rid of the 'vette during those dark times, or worse yet put together some econobox with a few curves and call it a 'vette and bastardize the name like many other cars have had done to them.
Originally Posted by Clams Canino
Yes, they called that version the C4.

-W
No, they called that version the C1, C2, C5, or C6
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the smog issues but 190HP. There are so many other options they could have used. Don't get me wrong, The 350 is a great motor and wears like iron but I'm talking about one of the best looking (in my opinion) GM cars ever. Sorta like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Ferrari.
The late models(80-82) were no more underpowered than a lot of other Vettes, they were not the lowest HP Vette of the C3 era....AND the change in the way they are rated when you do early conversions to the newer rating they are not all that different. They are capable of a lot more with minor modifications and adjustments that the EPA put in there. Timing adjustments and pipes do a lot for these motors, and for a me , jerking the computer and its crap did a lot for the car and more for my psychi. The late model Trans Ams and Z28 camaros boasted about 170HP. The era was what it was....Throw heads, cam, intake, headers and pipes and you have a heckuva fun car with the HP it should have had from the factory. Blame the gov't and the fairly new EPA.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

For all the California guys, GM came up with the EROD series of crate motors. They meet California specs and have all the components for a swap as a kit.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EPA was established in 1970.

I would think one of the main reasons for the loss in power was indeed the EPA emissions especially the following:

EPA Sets New National Air Pollution Standard for Lead
Sep 29, 1978
EPA announced its final atmospheric air quality standard to protect the public health from exposure to airborne lead, a pollutant that may, even at low levels of exposure, harm human nervous and blood-forming systems.
Link: http://www.epa.gov/air/lead/
Added by: usepagov

Leaded fuel was on the way out, so GM engineers had to work with totally new guidelines! As far as GM being WAY behind the times as far as fuel injection? Whoever said that garbage needs to take Corvette History 101. It was an option back in 1957, only two years after it made its debut on a Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing, which did cost at that time about $6,000, twice the price of the Vette. BUT, FI was costly, and last time I checked, GM is a business that does have cost in mind.

They "maybe" could have put tens of thousands of hours into engineering an FI '80 Corvette with 300 hp that would fit the emissions restrictions, but it might cost $50k. Significantly less American buyers at that price point, along with many other considerations, just not a good idea.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't seen it mentioned so far, but wasn't there something about flywheel horsepower and rear wheel horsepower that played a role in how much actual hp was present? Didn't that come about in the early70's? Bill
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Red99Hardtop
Instructor

Thanks for the corrections regarding my post. My Mustang information was quite faulty regarding Mustang II's. A friend of mine had a 77 V8 back in High School, terrible performance and horrible gas mileage but the fun we had back then cruising around in it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Get notified of new replies

To Why did GM so under power the late C3s?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Just about all C3 owners know the history of the "Shark". We love our cars and we tend to be experts on its history.

Most responses here are correct. The EPA really came done hard on all U.S. auto manufacturers. I've been reading yet another book on the Corvette history (C1 to C6). Fact is Chevrolet began culling the teeth of the Shark in the early '70's and not by choice - but because they had to. Vehicle emission requirements and fuel milege restrictions made life hell for everyone. I applaud the Chevy engineers for their ingenuity at that time for nursing the C3 along until technology caught-up and Chevrolet was able to make performance a stable in the C4.

My 1980 Corvette was a horsepower pig, but for it's time it went fast enough for me. But more importantly it looked awesome and it was still a Corvette.

Rest easy Mr. Duntov. The C6 may not be the "middie" that you always pined for, but it sure is one hell of the performer. The Corvette legacy lives on.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou64
EPA was established in 1970.

I would think one of the main reasons for the loss in power was indeed the EPA emissions especially the following:

EPA Sets New National Air Pollution Standard for Lead
Sep 29, 1978
EPA announced its final atmospheric air quality standard to protect the public health from exposure to airborne lead, a pollutant that may, even at low levels of exposure, harm human nervous and blood-forming systems.
Link: http://www.epa.gov/air/lead/
Added by: usepagov

Leaded fuel was on the way out, so GM engineers had to work with totally new guidelines! As far as GM being WAY behind the times as far as fuel injection? Whoever said that garbage needs to take Corvette History 101. It was an option back in 1957, only two years after it made its debut on a Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing, which did cost at that time about $6,000, twice the price of the Vette. BUT, FI was costly, and last time I checked, GM is a business that does have cost in mind.

They "maybe" could have put tens of thousands of hours into engineering an FI '80 Corvette with 300 hp that would fit the emissions restrictions, but it might cost $50k. Significantly less American buyers at that price point, along with many other considerations, just not a good idea.

OK, this is a short form for the history....GM got in touch with a Bendix group in the early 70's to make a electronic version of the old Bosch pisser system....IE...pulsed fuel injection...Bendix was bought out by Allied Signal, then Siemens

I talked to the OEM guys from the Bendix days....back in '91 or so when putting a '76?-79 Caddy DPFI system on my 455 Pontiac...and so they told me how it worked, this was done on old land line phones....they were located in Newport News Va.....I was near Wash. DC....

the entire R&D thing was done under Caddy div. and involved 3 engines...the Olds/SEVILLE 350, the 425 and the 500 engine which was discontinued around '75 or so....there maybe a few of them made with that DPFI setup....but I personally never seen one....
I stripped a 425 out of a '79 Sedan DeVille....my father had one, but was with a Qjet....that's how I remember the year of the car....

seeing many of the the SeVilles in the yards with the DPFI on board, I got to wondering over my Pontiac 462 in a '70 Lemans....

so it was welded/machined up over one winter and installed....

the thing that enabled Bendix/GM to make the first electronic DPFI system was the use/availability of solid state chips and transistors to drive the injectors.....much less the temp sensors to enable fuel ratios for various conditions....the system was supposedly enabled to do a O2 sensor, but I never saw one so equipped.....

All I can say is the fuel economy went from 12 at best to 14+ on my tow car....back when gas was ALL gasoline, and the car was 4100 lbs and the CFM on the t-body was 1000 cfm.....

SO, GM was on board with the modern invention of chips, called OP-AMPS and elementary switches back in the early 70's and made up a very early system of DPFI that not anyone I know of beat them to market with.....first showing in '75 or '76.....

anyone think different....bring it to the line.....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Billem
I haven't seen it mentioned so far, but wasn't there something about flywheel horsepower and rear wheel horsepower that played a role in how much actual hp was present? Didn't that come about in the early70's? Bill
There was a change from "gross" horsepower to "net" horsepower --

Here's a quote on the subject:

"Faced with this reality, along with the pressures of the safety and environmental lobby, domestic manufacturers decided it was time to abandon the gross rating system. In its place they adopted the SAE net rating methodology, described by SAE standard J1349. "Net" horsepower ratings are still made with the engine on a test stand, but with stock ignition timing, carburetion, exhaust, and accessories: in short, a closer approximation of how much power an engine produces as actually installed in the car. (SAE net horsespower does NOT, contrary to some assumptions, measure horsepower at the drive wheels; both gross and net ratings are at the flywheel, and don't reflect power losses in the drivetrain.)"

For the complete article:
http://ateupwithmotor.com/automotive...orsepower.html

Quick Reply: Why did GM so under power the late C3s?