Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 AM
dave1234
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 72 Red Vert

Summer of 2012, after 3 years with my 04 Z06, I was interested in buying a 2009 Z06 also, but as they were having the engine troubles.... I decided to let that get sorted out... AND wait til they depreciated more. C3's really seemed like something to persue instead.

For 2 years of working long hours including weekends, and drooling, I mean looking online everyday, I would tell myself that one day I would do it...snag a red 70-72 C3.

2 years later Summer of 2014, finally my wife went back to work after having our 2nd kid(a boy). The day she accepted her job offer, she immediately called me and said "Guess who's getting a red '72!" ...she knew I had been working hard and putting her and the kids first, while she stayed home to take care of the kids.

The job of getting the car from Michigan to California proved to be rather complicated and it finally arrived about a month later.
The timing was off when I first got it. I took it to a local speedshop to get it done properly. And then I enjoyed cruising quite a bit with my 2.5 yr old boy.

After six months of driving it, Ive fixed some stuff myself; shifter gasket, transmission foam collar, broken air vents in center stack, exterior driver handle, touch up painting, rerun electrical to the stereo, Ive gotten pretty familiar with the catalogs.

Ive taken it to the shop this winter to get a healthy overhaul of lots of past due things; leaky rear end, a leaky caliper(rebuilding whole brake system), leaky steering unit(replacing with borgeson unit), worn out camber kit in rear(tire leaning in)

To me this car is absolutely gorgeous! It deserves to be well preserved and well kept up! '70-72 red vert is what I dreamt of.
I love the eggcrate grills and the red convertible body with the saddle interior. I love owning an american workhorse like a 350 V8 and its 4 speed.
Even though its currently all original, with the block, transmission, & rear end, and its stayed that way for 42-43 years, its mine, and I plan on making it an awesome vehicle for what I intend to use it for for the next 40 years; cruising (like my C5 Z)various parts of California and getting decent mileage.

I am having the rear end changed currently from the 3.35 to 3.73 to complement the fresh 6 speed I plan on adding in another year. Eventually I will do some power modification to the original block, or go for the full deal with a 383 from Blueprint like I had always hoped.

...Yes it would be nice to keep it all original, but its also going to be used more often and enjoyed more, by updating a thing or two to current sports car standards(power and mileage). My goal was to make it quicker, & reliable.

The previous owner said it was an original Arizona car he brought to Michigan 2 yrs prior. However in disassembling the right dash to access the stereo, I found an old business card to a Honda motorcycle dealership in North Hollywood just 2 hrs South of me here in California. Im curious where all the car has been registered. (assuming its actually been registered in California beforeand not just visiting LA to get that business card) So its been to Arizona, Michigan, California twice... If its changed hands perhaps every 5 years, this thing has seen a lot of interesting sights and owners in the 42 years before I got it.
Thanks for listening

Last edited by dave1234; 01-22-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimebust1
.............ME!
During our early years, we both owned a Vette for two. I purchased a '69 in '73. I drove it until '76. My purchase price was $4200 and sold it for $4000 because I was about to be a Father.
This past August, I was joking with her about getting a Vette "for old time sake." One rainy day, I started searching around the local Corvette club's website and found a 1979 Coupe for sale. I ran to her and said, "Hey, I found our Vette!" Two weeks later, we bought it. It has 62k original miles. We took it to a local "Corvette expert mechanic" who was delighted to take our money in exchange for repairs it needed. It now runs fantastic and we will use it, as our license plate says, "FOR FUN"!

My eyes! It burns!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stories.

Back in the 70s I had some almost cool cars. My 67 Mercury was actually pretty nice. But I always lusted for a Fastback Mustang. Then came responsibilities. But I never lost my Mustang Lust. Then about 4 or 5 years ago, something changed. My Corvette gene kicked in and I couldn't stop thinking about getting a Vette. I started actually looking at ads and talking to people about Vettes. But for several years I just never really even came close to making a purchase.

Four months ago I had open heart surgery to repair an Aortic Anuerysum and replace a heart valve. The night before my surgery as I sat alone in my living room, I felt comfortable and happy. I was surrounded by all of the things I'd worked my entire life to achieve. I have had a good career. Married my dream girl. Lived in an old house that we renovated. Had friends and family who I love and respect. Even my dog is a constant source of happiness. I had no regrets.

And I wanted to continue to live that way.

So I had my surgery. And everything went perfectly.

And less than 4 months later I changed from a Corvette Dreamer, to a Corvette Owner.

I managed to find, in the dead of winter, the perfect car for me at the perfect price. The seller was a woman who bought the car over ten years ago from her dying fiancé. To say that there as an emotional hurdle for her would be an understatement. But we both got the deal we wanted. And I think it really helped her to know she was selling it to a "survivor" who respects the vehicle.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:36 AM
sgtwallydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what ive had in BC ,b4Corvette

65 stang fastback (wrecked) 68 MGB <traded for...> 64 GTO <sold to buy> 70 sport fury (wrecked) 69 Honda 750 4 < loaned to friend...wrecked> 64 triumph tr6 chopper <almost killed me>67 chevy van 77 Toyota sr7 63 no post impala 62 bel aire 64 ss impala 409 v8 and finally a 75 c3 whew!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 72 in 1975 when I was 20 years old. Dated my wife in it and sold car before we married and bought a Grand Prix in 1976. Always regretted selling it and in 1988 I thought I would see if it was still around. I found a photo which showed the license plate and went to the state tax commission in OKC and told them I needed a copy of the registration for,that year and the reason way. I wanted the vin number off the registratio. Dude goes in back and comes out in a while and hands me a copy. Did not charge me and said happy hunting. When I looked at it was was not in my name but the guy I sold it too. After screwing around trying to find him I said screw it and called a friend at the police department who looked it up and found it in New Mexico.

Called said dude and said I heard you got a vette for sale. He said he did and gave me a price and I told him I would pick it up the next day. Drove out the next day with trailer and looked at car and verified numbers. Had same valve covers and my writing in owners manual. Different color however. Told him I would take it. He said you want to drive it ? Said no, but he made me. Went around block and said here cash give me title. He did. Then he said. "What's the story here? Your from out of state and you really did not care about condition."

Changed subject and finished paperwork, then loaded car on trailer. Told him the story above. he said he figured something was special about it. Him and his wife were really neat people. Still have same car and wife to this day along with a 77 vette with 10,000 miles we bought new.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 AM
fazang
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fazang
I guess my story wouldn't even exist if it hadn't been for my Dad....He was a Barber in Hartford Ct.
He opened his own place with a partner that was also my godfather. My godfather was a car guy, to this day
every time i see him i ask "...what are you driving" and it's always different than the last time !

Fast forward to the 1980's they somehow end up buying a '69 vert together as a "company car" (read tax write-off).
Pretty sure they bought it from the original owner... i recall for years a box in corner of the garage with all the OEM AIR pump equip for the L-46....that stuff is long gone now
That first year i vividly remember the sharing of the car every 2 weeks, happy to see it arrive, sad to see it go.
Back then laws were lax, and dad would pile the family (all 4 of us) in the vette and take rides to get ice cream and stuff, good memories in that car.
My godfather got tired of it and my dad bought his half, and it's been in the family ever since. It had side pipes originally and they rotten off, so now has rockers. It had black pin stripes and dad added red ones to match ( they were in back then).

AFA the car it's definitely had an interesting life when it was my dad's daily driver....he's had the center caps stolen a couple times, had it keyed in the parking garage where he worked... I remember one time watching him leave for work in it and blew the timing chain not a 1/4 mile from the house. Luckily only a couple push rods got bent, it still has same motor in it.
One time a big rig didn't see him and it's tire clipped a front fender and you could see the fiber glass strands exposed, it was horrific looking. Learned the hard way not to let it sit in the winter, did that one year and needed a valve job, now it gets run every month if not more often.
It's got about 125K on it now, I've replaced the vinyl top, and rebuilt the carb, other than that i try to keep it running.
I think i even learned to drive stick in that car.....
Once dad even asked if he should trade it in for a newer vette, my vote was always a "no way !"...Sadly he passed in 2008
and i inherited it and everytime i see it in the garage it makes me think of him....

Pic of me and dad around 1991

I really enjoyed all the other stories, thanx guys and gals...

-ALF out...
I found another pic......This time me and my Bro, closer to when dad likely bought the car

Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 PM
convgto69
2nd Gear

Like many of you I had my share of muscle cars. My first corvette was a 1959. I got in 1971. I was 17 and a senior in High school. After that was the military then married. Opened a collision shop and worked it till 1981. Had lots of cars at that point. No pics sadly. 1963 Corvette convertible. 1970 SS Chevelle. !969 1/2 6 pk. Roadrunner in Vitamin C Orange. Those are just a few. In 1991 I purchased a 1969 GTO convertible. A total piece of trash till I realized it was a number matching car and was a special order color at the time. See the pics. Sold it 1 1/2 yrs ago and bought a 1997 Jaguar xk8 convertible. Still have it. So now I just acquired another Corvette. 1969 samll block 4 speed coupe. see the pics. Needs paint , interior , brakes , tires and asstd other items. Motor runs. Original color is Gold with black interior. I will bring her back to as close to her original look by end of summer. So I am getting back into Corvettes after a long dry spell. Love the old ones from yesteryear. I will update soon.
Attached Images       
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default 1969 l88

IMSA

In 1971, I was a 30 year old engineer, working at the Lummus Co. in Houston Texas, and driving a red 1969 L88 Corvette on the street and in some minor club races with the GVRA (Green Valley Racing Assn) at the Green Valley racetrack near Fort Worth, Texas. I saw an ad in a local paper from John Bishop soliciting entrants for an IMSA race at (then) Texas International Speedway (TIS....now TWS) near Bryan, Texas. I had never heard of IMSA, but sent in my entry, and received “conditional acceptance” from John’s wife Peg Bishop. The conditions were that (since I had no professional license or history) they would let me run practice, watch my driving, and if I didn’t hurt myself or anyone else, then I could race. I was warned that since there was a very sparce field of sportscars, our race (a 200 mile enduro called Alamo 200) would be combined with the NASCAR “Baby Grands”, which were Pony cars, Camaros and Mustangs, driven by NASCAR Grand National drivers of the day. This would have repercussions.

The 2 mile TIS banked oval was built in 1969 for NASCAR racing. It included both an infield, and an outfield, which was used in the debut professional race there, which was a CanAm race in the summer of 1969, won by Bruce McLaren after his partner Denny Hulme, and pole sitter Mario Andretti both blew up and retired. It is a very fast and demanding track with both elevation change, and high speed banking (like Daytona). In fact, the Can Am McLarens ran over 208mph in that first race, faster than NASCARs Daytonas and Superbirds at the time.

For this IMSA race, the organizers deleted the “outfield” portion of the track, and used only the oval portion and the infield, turning left at the back straight wall, and left again into the infield “horseshoe” for a total of only 7 turns. The rest was the north banking and straightaway. Because of this long straight, I bought a 3.36:1 differential from a wrecking yard to replace my standard 3.70:1 rear. With a 27” tire, this gave me a theoretical top speed of 167 mph, however, for reliability I decided to run no more than 6500rpm, which gave me 155mph on the banking. I should mention here that my car was bone stock, except for headers (JR sidemount), a scattershield, a rollbar, and racetires (Goodyear Bluestreak Sports Car Specials). I had rejetted the carb (leaner than stock settings) and installed 4” racing harness type seat belts for the stock seats. That’s it! In true “clubracer” style, I made my race numbers from racer tape.

There had been lots of rain during the week, and for Friday practice, the track was dry, but everything not paved was a muddy mess, and you didn’t want to run off. (As an aside, when I arrived, the workers thought my Corvette was a street car, and tried to park me in a muddy spectator’s area.) I had an all volunteer pit crew consisting of Texas A&M students Tom Wedel, Kerry Bonner, Bill Jermyn, and a friend and pilot, Roy Tribbey. Today Kerry Bonner owns his own business, (Great Western Resources), Bill Jermyn is a M.D., and Tom Wedel has his own car repair shop. Roy Tribby unfortunately died of cancer some years ago. My volunteer crew made me a refueling rig from 5 gallon gas cans with heater hose duct taped to them. I ran daytime practice, turned in a competitive time (mostly due to speed on the banking) and won permission to run night practice. During daytime practice, a Porsche ran slightly offline and onto the “marbles” at turn 4, and in slow motion I watched him understeer right into the outer (boilerplate) wall, wiping out his front end, and seeing his front mounted oil cooler explode and dump 12 quarts of oil onto the track. I could clearly see the driver’s eyes as he threw up his hands and pleaded silently for me not to hit him, and thankfully saw him disappear into my rear view mirrors as I passed safely. This incident made a deep impression on me, and I was determined to drive very conservatively and not risk my daily driver, and only transportation in an on track accident. During night practice (necessary to check headlight settings, because this endurance race would conclude after dark) I became more familiar with the track, and my driving became more relaxed (and faster). Saturday afternoon rain was forecast. I was among the only cars which had windshield wipers! During the pregame hype prior to the race, Chris Economaki of Speed Sport News came to interview all the drivers, but I was tense, and involved with car preparation, so I declined the interview (in fact I told him to go “**** off”, and he never came back nor spoke my name at the start). In fact, thinking of the mad scramble for position at turn 1, I went to the organizers, and requested to start in last place due to my inexperience. They agreed.

The Race
As I recall, the race started about 5PM under cloudy skies. As I came off the banking, and through turns 1 and 2, the “accordion” of cars suddenly slowed almost to a stop. At righthand turn 3, I was surprised to see Peter Gregg’s bright red Richie Ginther Porsche 911 suddenly appear from the bushes ringing the turn. The entire track was blocked by two Camaros of NASCAR drivers Tiny Lund, and another driver I didn’t recognize. Tiny was climbing out the driver’s window in disgust. At the end of the first lap, we got a RED flag, and slowly returned to the pits. It took almost 2 hours for the workers to separate the two wrecked cars, and clear the track. During that time it got dark and started to rain! I had no rain tires, only slicks. My friend George Eby (Lotus Elan) and I had reached an agreement prior to the start, that we would both come into the pits if it should rain, rather than risk our street transportation on dry tires. However, George decided to race in the rain, and therefore, I had no choice but to race also. This turned out to be a disastrous choice! On the restart (pouring rain, with most cars having no windshield wipers, and with me on dry tires) a car hit the wall on turn 7 out of the horseshoe, but fortunately I did not hit him. The eventual winner Danny Munoz of Mexico City, hit almost every car in the race with his Mustang before the race ended. I concentrated on staying alive as the rain got worse. At least I could see. The slick tires were OK on the banking which had excellent drainage, so I was still running 155. However, I was shutting off much sooner for turn 1, because the infield was extremely slick with standing water, and with no light but your own (stock) headlights, the rain made for virtually NO visibility. It was scary. George Eby spun entering (high speed) turn 1, but Peter Gregg (on rain tires) managed to stop without hitting him. However, later, entering the horseshoe, George tried to out muscle NASCAR driver H.B. Bailey in a Pontiac Trans Am for position, on dry tires, and with no windshield wipers. They both went off into the mud, but Bailey’s Trans Am went through George’s passenger side door, and right into the Lotus cockpit with George. George was (miraculously) unhurt, and (eventually) drove his Elan back to the pits, where (on a refueling stop) I found his crew trying to put his Elan back together with racers tape. The hot pits were pitch dark (no lights at all) and pit stops were a very dangerous and comical affair. The car in the next pit to ours locked up his brakes, spun into the pit wall, and knocked all four corners off his car (without hitting anybody). My car started cutting out on the banking when low on fuel due to Gee force on the stock fuel tank, so I came in for refueling (needless to say, my one set of dry tires had no problem lasting a full 200 miles in the rain). I got out of my car during refueling and went to urinate at the pit fence during my pitstop, as there were no “facilities” in the pits. As I recall, it took “a while” to refuel with 5 gallon cans in the dark. I had lost the car so many times, and slid around out-of -control so much that I considered quitting, but my crew told me that I was the last car still running in GTO (GT over 2 liter) class, so I should stay out because I would win my class. As the rain came down harder, and the traffic thinned, I thought too much about the potential risk of totaling my transportation, and so decided to quit. I drove down pit lane 3 times without finding my pit in the dark (my pit crew, not expecting me, had no light out and did not flag me down). By now I was angry and frustrated, and decided to stay out no matter what. That’s the way the race ended at midnight! It had taken us “professional racers” more than 5 hours to go 200 miles. I was exhausted. I just wanted to leave the car and go to bed, but officials told us there would be a NASCAR race the next day (there wasn’t! It was postponed until the next weekend), so we all had to remove our sportscars from the NASCAR pits that night. We drove to an all night restaurant for something to eat, and to unwind. I was the only one there in his racecar and drivers’ suit.

The next morning (Sunday), I went by John Bishop’s motel room to thank them for allowing me to race, and John gave me a check for (I believe) $150 for winning the GTO class. More than a year later, I got a very unexpected package from Camel Cigarettes, sponser of the Camel GT Series, containing the very first trophy for winning the GTO Class at the first Camel GT Series race.

I continued to run IMSA from 1971 thru 1977. During that time, my Corvette went from “winner” status, to “competitive” status, to “uncompetitive” status, as money and cutting edge technology emerged and took over racing.
I am proud to have had the opportunity to participate in this historic series.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM
jward486
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in 1999 I was 19 years old and bought a 1987 GTA Trans Am in which my Dad was there with me to purchase it. A couple months later I saw a metallic yellow 1973 Corvette Coupe with black side pipes for sale at a dealership and thought it matched my Dad's style. His favorite color was black and gold and he also had a gold 1971 Olds Cutlass 442 which he purchased when he was young. I told him about the Corvette and the next day we both went there together and he bought it. My Dad passed away last July and I inherited his Corvette. During the time my father had the car he had it repainted to look more "gold" which suited his style. He put less than 2k miles on the car while in his possession and he sure did enjoy "looking" at the car while parked in his garage. I am grateful to have both cars which gives me fond memories of my Dad. Currently I am restoring the interior which is about 99% complete. Just waiting for the newly recovered seats to be sent back to me to install.
Attached Images    
Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 PM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My C-3 is Corvette Tan with Brown Leather seats. It's an all original Number matching L-82, it still has the A.I.R pump on the engine. The spare tire and jack has never been on the ground. It was Built in the St. Louis Plant on 3/18/77. She was shipped to SAUDER CHEVROLET in Manheim Pa on 4/4/77. It was sold to a Mr. Chas Wanger Jr on 9/22/77 of New Holland Pa the MSRP was $11,073.65 Mr. Wanger owned the car for 20 years. He sold it to a Mr Lafata of Lancaster Pa in 1997. The car was well cared for and was repainted in 2001. Mr. Lafata loved the car, but also owned a C-5 plus two daily drivers. And with only a one car garage, he had to rent a garage to park one of the Vettes. So after owning it for 15 years, he put the '77 up For Sale. I picked it up in Oct. 2012 with only a little over 37,000 miles. This '77 is a very well cared for car, the body and paint is mint and the int. looks great. And she drives and runs like a dream. I love going to the local Cruise Nights and Car Shows or just Sunday Drives.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 AM
bondobill
Cruising

Bought a 69 roadster in 1974.

This is a photo from circa 1977

Had Keystone Classics on it then.
The black 65 was my buddies car.
We rented a house together...oh my we had a lot of parties in that house.

This is a photo from around 1982.
Car sported Truespokes and Goodyear Radial GTs

Now after having her 40 years she has her original rims back on her.
I still have the True spoke wire wheels also .
The following users liked this post:
Jackson84 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been a C2/C3 fan my whole life (born in '66, so, of course). Got to spend some time with an '82 a friend had in high school and was smitten. Finally got a 'real car' after driving a 70 Pontiac Safari SW (hey, at least it had a 400 in it!) and a Jeep Wagoneer all through HS. My grandmother gave me her '69 GTO that she'd bought new off the lot in '69. That car was always a treat for me as a kid, so getting to own such a fine piece of machinery spoiled me forever.

The GTO didn't fare well in a run in with a truck (I learned a valuable lesson in tire and brake maintenance), and I replaced it with an RX-7 when the '78 Vette I really wanted needed more work than I could afford. The Mazda was a fun and very reliable little car-fun to drive, but not American muscle.

I missed the throaty rumble of dual exhausts, but life and responsibilities of family and work took precedence. I made it a point to indoctrinate my son by taking him to shows in Hershey and Carlisle whenever possible. I began to gravitate towards Corvettes exclusively after my wife expressed her dislike for Goats-she at least liked Vettes, she said. The dream of owning one never got any more realistic though (where would we keep it?, taxes are due, college is approaching, etc.). Then a friend with a couple Corvettes scored a '66 convertible. The wonderful sound and even smells of that car put me back into the driver's seat of my GTO and I started laying the foundation to get my wife to understand how much we needed a Vette (when the kids were finished with college in 8-10 years or so).

I'd just assumed I'd be spinning my wheels aimlessly until at least the next decade when out of the blue, I was scanning a guitar forum and saw an ad with a guy looking for a guitar like one I owned. He didn't have the cash to buy the guitar, but wanted it so he asked if I'd be interested in a trade. 'Whatcha got?' He offered a two-tone '82 Corvette. Hell yeah!

We worked up a deal (guitars for car) and now I own (my first-I understand they're a bit of an addiction) one of my dream cars. It needed some brake work and a new master cylinder, but it's ready to roll.

The cruel part of this whole thing is that we've had a horrible winter here, so I can't get out on the road until all the snow, ice, rocks, salt and cinders go away!

My brother with my old GTO in 1985...

Last edited by Serial Steve; 03-08-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 PM
scoty
Cruising

I grew up as a GM fan. My dad was into Pontiacs, particularly GTO's. He bought a new one in '67. It was the first car I ever rode in. Mom and dad brought me home from the hospital in it. I guess you can say I come by my hot rod heart naturally.

I grew up loving the corvette although I never thought I would own one because they were out of my price range. I did get to drive an '82 in the homecoming parade my senior year. I had the car all day and fell in love with it.

30 years later, a bout with alcoholism, 2 marriages, and 4 kids later I finally own a '76 L82. I was needing to buy a second vehicle and since I travel and don't drive it much was looking at some 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds. After searching CL I realized that I could buy a C3 for about the same price so I switched and started looking for C3's. I found one that I could drive and work on at the same time.....my goal and the money was right.

My girlfriend absolutely loves the car and makes her all kinds of excited (read wet)!!!!

There ya go!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM
drparkwood
6th Gear

Default True Barn Find

I have been looking for a project vehicle car or truck for sometime. simple requirements are no body work needed. I only enjoy working on drive lines. So I was traveling to one of the plants I support with a fellow IT guy. I knew he had a 1981 C3 but didn't know anything about it. We talked about his car for a couple of hours, and then he mentioned he hasn't driven for 25 years, he only starts it periodically.

This was 5 months ago. So I asked if he'd sell it. He said no immediately but I asked periodically until 3 weeks ago and he said he would. So I stop by his farm and sure enough it was sitting in his barn with a 69 Skylark convertible and a farm equipment. We pull the Skylark out (won't sell it) and then the Vette.

So before we even started it, I told him it was sold because
1) it is a 1981 (my high school grad and I flashed back to the time)
2) it has 2051 original miles ...no lie.. it has 2070 on it now since I drove it home
3) Black with Gray leather interior, mirror T-tops that have never been removed
4) all options except power mirrors and the luggage rack.
5) wide tire option 255/60 R15
6) body in perfect shape, paint is very good

After a few minutes she came to life and we let it warm up. he hadn't started it in 3 years.

The bad: alternator died, volt meter is dead, needs master cylinder, belts, power antenna and tires (I've ordered everything, just need time to install when the parts arrive)

I will go over her in the next 3 weeks or so and get her back on the road.

The price was well under $10,000 and have had 2.5 X offers already and only had it 5 days.

I know this is my once in a life time Barn Find and will keep it till I pass. Both my daughters want it already.

Last edited by drparkwood; 08-02-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by drparkwood
I have been looking for a project vehicle car or truck for sometime. simple requirements are no body work needed. I only enjoy working on drive lines. So I was traveling to one of the plants I support with a fellow IT guy. I knew he had a 1981 C3 but didn't know anything about it. We talked about his car for a couple of hours, and then he mentioned he hasn't driven for 25 years, he only starts it periodically.

This was 5 months ago. So I asked if he'd sell it. He said no immediately but I asked periodically until 3 weeks ago and he said he would. So I stop by his farm and sure enough it was sitting in his barn with a 69 Skylark convertible and a farm equipment. We pull the Skylark out (won't sell it) and then the Vette.

So before we even started it, I told him it was sold because
1) it is a 1981 (my high school grad and I flashed back to the time)
2) it has 2051 original miles ...no lie.. it has 2070 on it now since I drove it home
3) Black with Gray leather interior, mirror T-tops that have never been removed
4) all options except power mirrors and the luggage rack.
5) wide tire option 255/60 R15
6) body in perfect shape, paint is very good

After a few minutes she came to life and we let it warm up. he hadn't started it in 3 years.

The bad: alternator died, volt meter is dead, needs master cylinder, belts, power antenna and tires (I've ordered everything, just need time to install when the parts arrive)

I will go over her in the next 3 weeks or so and get her back on the road.

The price was well under $10,000 and have had 2.5 X offers already and only had it 5 days.

I know this is my once in a life time Barn Find and will keep it till I pass. Both my daughters want it already.
We need pics...and you better get a 2nd so that your daughters don't fight over this one!

Happy for you,

Lee
Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM
kolczk
Intermediate

Default Red 76

I acquired my vette by suckering my wife into a deal she couldn't back out of. Being a newer married couple in our 20's I had been pressing her to let me get a classic car for a long time. My theory was if we didn't get one before we had kids we never would.

Last summer I saw my opportunity when we were having a discussion about the amount of time I play XBOX. As the discussion lasted longer and got more intense, she decided to blind
ly say if I stopped playing XBOX she would let me get a classic car. Within a second I agreed and while she never thought I would make that deal, the XBOX was in the trash the next day. The hunt for my car began.

In less than a week I was lucky enough to find one that had 65000 miles on it, an engine rebuild that was just finished, front suspension rebuild, and sidepipes that were also just put on over the winter. The seller owned horses and had to sell it in order to pay for a surgery for one of them. Picked this car up and have been working to perfect it since. Interior is getting re-done this week!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 PM
KB1KVD
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 82 from my mother who finally grew tired of own and maintaining a corvette about two years ago. Over the years my mother has own several vettes. The first one she had was a well loved 79 which she sold to buy a 96 zr1 which she owned until it was involved in an accident and totaled out. About 9/11 she went back out and picked up a 1982 vette from corvette Mike's in Plymouth,Ma. The car had only 23k miles on it and was kept in a garage in Pt Judith,RI, unbeknownst to my mother the car was the seventh car made for the 1982 model year. So for the last 10 years my mother owned the car and drove it to shows and stuff. Fast forward to 2012 my mother decided to hand over the key to the car and sign the title to me and in 2013 I drove the car away from my wedding. Since then I've done a few mods while keeping it numbers matching. I've replaced the headlights with a more modern style that uses 9006 bulbs while keeping the sealed beam look, also I changed the instrument lights to blue/white leds. This year I plan on replacing the plastics that have shrunk over the last 32 years and basically catching up on some of the things that were never checked.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 04-11-2015, 03:49 PM
fk200mph
Advanced

While on my last tour before retiring from the Navy, I bought my 82 in 97 from another sailor, he related to me the story up to that point. The car was first sold to a doctor in Hawaii, who sold it to a Sailor, who shipped it to Guam, after a few years there shipped it back to San Diego where the guy I bought it from bought it. When I got it the brakes were shot, no working parking brake and the transmission was "iffy". The carpeting had SO MUCH sand in it from traveling all over the Pacific that it was coming apart in tiny pieces. luckily though the steel parts did not suffer too much. Most of the rest of it's life has been spent in the desert (more sand!) I have spent the last 7 years doing a much deserved restoration, keeping in mind that it IS a driver, will be ready to go again as early as next week. Have not finished having good times with this car so I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
guzikf
Cruising

Just purchased a 1979 in Grapevine TX. Only 6180 miles, one owner. Have gone through it and not much had to be done. Coupe gasket leaks and the heater always on. Otherwise a-ok.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:39 PM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Default My First Corvette - Best Price Ever

I must start my story in 1986, when I was 14. First day of spring break, me and a friend snuck my dad's 74 corvette out while he was at work and I put it through a barbwire fence. I loved that car just as much as my dad, but being 14 and a little alcohol... not a good mix. I had snuck the car out many times with great success, but that day just didn't work out for me.

My wifi password has been corvette for over a decade. I still love the car. I have 4 kids and my wife said when the kids moved out, I could get a toy again. My dad passed away a few years ago and left me a few bucks. My wife said "maybe this is the time for you to get your car". I looked a little online and couldn't believe how little my $10,000 was going to get me.

Few months later, I'm at my wife bosses house and she says "hey Cody, did you see Chad's (her boss) corvette in the garage"? I soon found out it was for sale. It was a 73 and he was asking $10,000. After taking it for a test drive, the car was great, but didn't grab me. I had to pass. $10,000 is a lot of money for me and being my dad's money, I really wanted something special.

A few months later, we had some things come up that I had to give my money back to the family account. I just figured it wasn't the right time for my car and God would hook me up later when the time was right.

Every few months, I would see my wives boss. He goes to my church and sometimes in the hallways I would say something like " you still got my car"? He would say some thing like " yep, when you coming to get it"? He never really put it up for sale, so it just sat for a few years in his garage.

One day, I walked out of church and he was in the parking lot with my wife. While I was walking up when I heard him way "good, I got both of you here, I wanted to talk to you guys about something"? I said "what, are you going to give my your vette"? he said "yep, matter a fact, that's exactly what i was going to say".

I bought crapped my pants. My wives boss gave me a 43 year old vette. numbers match, perfectly drivable, nice car. needs a little love hear and there, but thats what I wanted.

The car didn't really grab me at first because i was really wanting something a little older, but when someone's going to just give it to you....
Attached Images  

Last edited by CodyPrince; 04-27-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?