Whats the Story behind your C3? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
Spocc
CF Senior Member

i attended high school from 70-75

every time i saw a C3 drive by i would watch it , then comment to a friend that i was going to get one, one day

my 1st full time job, from 75-79 was a hot-test tech, in the Ford 351 plant in Windsor, Ontario

in 1978 i ordered a loaded 25 year anniversary

before it came into the dealership, found out my Dad got Cancer (he was 48 ) & i cancelled the order

dealership was cool, said it would sell, no prob

Dad died the next year (Sept 79)

life got in the way , never got a Corvette or even a ride in one

for my 50th birthday , i bought a 1980 L48 , all stock, with 70,000 miles , from mid-Ohio

it has been my DD , since Jan 30, 2007

LIFE is short - go after yer dreams , while you can

Pete.
Spocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
brent319
CF Senior Member

I saw Kaos (black 69 flared) on the internet a couple years back and thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen. I wound up e-mailing Chris, the original owner and builder, and he said he had sold it. I started reading up on swapping an LS into a c3 and noticed that this one guy seem to have a lot of the answers I was looking for. I happened to click on his profile and realized that Josh (custom image corvettes) lived literally around the corner from me and not only that but Kaos was over at his house.
I met Josh and started helping him out around the shop with the intention of learning as much as I could about Corvettes. Before long I had bought one of his 'vettes. It is a '76 that was a project car in 'vette magazine. It was one of the first (if not the first) LS swaps (as far as I can tell) They were in the middle of rebuilding a 76 when GM asked them if they wanted one of those new LS motors to stuff in it. The project got started and then sidetracked and the 76, the new motor and the new 4l60E wound up years later with Josh, and eventually me. I got a stack of magazines that showed the build as it progressed. A few of the articles are on line. Here is one: http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_02...e/viewall.html
The coolest thing so far (having not driven it yet): My car was purchased new in CA and the original couple owned and enjoyed it for over 20 years before they sold it to the magazine. I have a ton of paperwork with the car including the original owner's name. I called them up just to see if they were curious about the car.
We talked for quite a while about the history of the car. They drove it from CA out to the east coast and toured all along there. A lot of other cool things.
After the sold the car, they got updates from the magazine on the car's progress, but then it just stopped and they always wondered what happened to the car. They are in their 70's now and have a lot of fond memories of it so they were really happy to talk with me. THAT was pretty cool!
brent319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
Don 68
CF Senior Member

Back in 1986, I had a friend that would write notes and put them on cars just to see if he could buy them. He would leave his name and number and ask if the car was for sale. He put a note on a 68 Corvette and the owner call him. As luck would have it my friend was broke and I wasn't.

We both went to look the car over. It had been parked at a service station at the corner of 10th and Peachtree Street in Atlanta when my friend attached his note. Turns out the owner drove the car from Texas and parked it at this station without permission for about two weeks and it had been moved to a side street. The owner was also broke, didn't have a job and didn't have a place to place to park the car. He wanted $1500 but a price of $1300 was agreed on and I had a Vette!

He had all of his belonging packed inside. I really don't what he did with his stuff, but we piled it on the sidewalk and it was about five foot high.

We had to adjust the carb to get it running and then found out it only had one tail pipe and muffler. It was loud going through downtown Atlanta and back to Kennesaw. It was only after I got it back to my house that I discovered it only had rear brakes.

To make a long story short I completed a frame on restoration and drove the car about 500 miles and then just stored it. At first, I would drive it around a little then it got to where I would start it up once in a while, then nothing.

I am now in the process of a frame off restoration. The 350 engine that was in the car belonged in a 1974 Corvette and I had recently found and rebuilt a correct year 327 engine to make the car look more original. That is the engine in my avatar (I did not re-stamp this engine). Funny thing is the engine and trans numbers matched. I wonder why they didn't use the original trans? The old engine and trans is out now and I stripped the car with a razor blade. As soon as I get what body that is needed done and sprayed with epoxy primer, I will remove the body and start working the frame.

It's going to be restored to a driver car and I plan on driving it and having some fun!
Don 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
John92LT1
CF Member

You guys all have me beat!

I have always been into cars, Dad & I bought my first (71 'stang) out of a barn when I was 13 & restored it together. What a fun high school car!

Anyway, in 1995, a guy owed Dad some money, so he traded out for the guy's rough 81 vette. Dad put some time into it to sell, but I surprised him & called to buy it from across the country. I told him he couldn't charge much, since it was for his ONLY GRANDDAUGHTER, who happened to be only a few months old at the time. Yeah, right, like she would EVER get to drive that car.

From 1995-1998, I spent quite a bit of time on the car, replacing and repairing section by section, but then time became scarce, as I was involved everything with the kids (school, sports, music, etc., etc.). Mileage dropped little by little, as there was no time to fix the small things that a car like that always seems to needs. Sadly, in 2005-2006, I parked the car in my in-laws garage a few blocks away, and there it sat, under cover and completely forgotton.

Ten days ago, the kids and I pulled the cover off it and started to work. Nice to say that it still looks as good as always, and it now runs again(!), although stopping is much more challenging, at least until the non-leaking calipers arrive next week! It is a work in progress, but, it will no doubt make a fine first car for my nearly 17 year old girl. Yep, still grandpa's only granddaughter.

So, I have been away from this forum for nearly 10 years, but expect to see many, many questions over the next few months as the kids and I work through this car (again).
John92LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
daanbc
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12

I purchased my first vette when I was 23. It was a yellow 1980 Auto. A few months later met my wife. Few month later married. Few months later our first of three children Alexandra was on her way. Few months later looking at our first House/home. Needed a down payment, You guessed it! The yellow vette was sold for a 2 bedroom 1 bath 1000 square foot home. Always told myself I'd get another one SOMEDAY. Well 19 years later, We sold our boat, and the wife say's "why don't you get a vette?" With the $$. Thought about it, figured my youngest was 10 at the time, Why not. I looked for three to four months. I wanted a blue 77 4 speed L82 with Air. Couldn't find one. And the one's I did look at were trashed!! Never really saw any c3's that were worth my time and $$. Then one night I searched the comp. on the Broward county news paper classifieds. A BRAND NEW LISTING was posted just 2-3 minutes prior to me finding it. It was an Orange 77 Auto air not working. But the two pic's looked very clean. I called the guy (mike) at 9:30 at night. He stated, he was the third owner with all paper work, He and his young son of 8 were at the end of a rebuild. He hurt his back real bad and could no longer get in to drive or work on it. I made plans to see it that night. After I hung up, I thought about it and said to myself, why waste my time and his, It's not the car I really want. So I called and cancelled. He was understanding. He was a pilot and was leaving for work that night for a week. WELL, that night I couldn't sleep, so around 4 am I got on the comp. I found the same car for sale but with 12-14 pics under another add that his wife put it in. The pics were to good to be true for the $$. He redid the whole frame with POR-15, New brakes,Brand new interior, all books, and pic's on a CD from start till then of everything he did, Only thing it needed was the motor to be cleaned and a paint job. I immediatly called the next morning and spoke to his wife. She promised I'd be the FIRST to look at it when he got home a week later. What a LOOONG week.LOL. I finally went over one night first look and it was mine. Even came with ramps,motor stand,and everything else under the sun. Have had the car 20 months, if ya read my posts you know the work I've put into the motor, Won a trophy with my son at its second showing, and have had the best times teaching my boy how to drive it and picking my youngest up from school in it, she loves it, ALL the kids yell at me to rev the motor, even the teachers get a kick out of it. Best of all, I get to spend time with ALL THREE of my kids at once at certain car shows!!!!

Last edited by daanbc; 05-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.
daanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
mds3013
CF Senior Member

My late father bought a '76 L82 from our State Farm Agent that lived across the street. I drove it around on dates and back to East Texas on the weekends. I decided on a '77 due to the setback and leather covered steering wheel. L82 only hopefully with a 4sp.. I reculanctly went to look at a black L82 auto with 11,000mi. mainly due to the low miles. This was Aug. '81. The owner also had a '66 Shelby Hertz GT350, black and gold with oil cooler in front fascia, '67 Shelby GT350 in a medium olive metallic, a custom van and a company car, Buick. He was forced to get rid of one of them. I went after work to look at the 'Vette to just see what a low miles car would be like. He told me the car was almost lost in a house fire in '79. If the Firemen could not have put the car in neutrel without the key it would have been lost. They put in in neutral and rolled it out of the garage. I paid the man and have had the car ever since. Met my wife about 1 mo. later and we took the car to see Escape From New York. Parked the car out in the boonies with both kill switches deactivated. Coming up on thirty one years with the same car and same woman. First date car so I can not sell it. It has 40,600 mi. now. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 05-14-2012 at 08:34 PM.
mds3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
'77 DomOnicDave
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I got divorced, so I bought a corvette...

I should have gotten divorced sooner
'77 DomOnicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
TexasYankee
CF Senior Member

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading each story.

When I bought my Vette, it was very much an "emotional purchase". I was paying as much for all the personal feelings I had 25 years ago as the Vette itself. Judging from this thread, that is also true for many other C3 owners.

My wife is as much attached to our Vette as I am, maybe even more so. I can honestly say, it means much more to us than "just another car". It's almost like family.
TexasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
KenSny
CF Senior Member

I think mine has a debit card directly linked to my bank accounts. It seems like it is always taking my money for something.
KenSny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
73Corvette
CF Senior Member

I never had any desire to own a Corvette....maybe another 65 GTO vert, or a Cobra, my childhood dream car a 69 SS 396 Chevelle...
But, on the other hand my WIFE loves Corvettes and always wanted one.
Her brother had one, dated a bum in high school that had one (he was ok, just call him a bum cause he dated my wife) anyway, we were coming up on our 25th wedding anniversary and I thought I should do something special.....besides a new fishing pole, shotgun or wrist watch. Gift giving thru the years has not been my FORTE! I did some internet searching and armed with Zero knowledge and even less experience I bought a 78 Silver Anniversary car with 10,000 miles sight unseen.....had it delivered.
Put it in storage til the Corvette Expo was in Enid and entered it in the car show......at the end of the show they made a special announcement and presented her with her 1st Corvette......we took that car on an "Anniversary" trip to Bloomington Illinois.....I not knowing anything about it entered the car in all three classes.....Survivor, Gold Certified, and Benchmark. Well, as fate would have it the car Benchmarked and we couldn't enjoy driving it...it's only unrestored, original, one time.....and we traded for the 73. Now, I have to admit.......it's NOT my car, but I have learned to appreciate her and after working on it and cleaning it and cleaning it and working on it and cleaning........you get the picture, I actually love the car too.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 05-15-2012 at 09:58 AM.
73Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
Stroh
CF Senior Member

Great Thread...

My story: Like many of us, I've always been enamored by the lines of the C3. I like the performance, too, but the "look" has held my heart since I was in highschool. I went on and on to my friends for 25 years about "someday," and then how I couldn't justify the expense, to the point they probably tired of hearing it.

Then, a couple years ago, several close members of my family began to experience some horrible health problems and, sadly, a few passed away. I guess that catalyzed the purchase more than anything.

When "someday" starts to look like never, you have to move. So I did.

I pulled a friends big dually and a 28 foot enclosed trailer in front of my house to grab straps for a trip down to Detroit to pick up a 75 'vert I found on Craigslist. My neighbor from across the street sees this huge trailer and truck and comes over to ask what the rig was for. When I told him, he said I needed to come over and take a look at something first.

I walked over to his garage where a silver 75 coupe sat in all its glory. He said he was in a spot financially, overextended himself a couple months prior to buy it in the first place, and I could really help him out if I'd consider buying it for what he had in it. I took it for test drive, promptly returned the rig to my buddy and paid him cash that night.

Crazy, huh, I spend 25 years looking, a couple looking hard, and my dream car is right across the street. Who'da thunk it.
Stroh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stroh For This Useful Post:
Richard Daugird (08-20-2016)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

Karma.... That's all it could be....
7T1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

Default 69 l88

I won the first IMSA Camel GT, GTO class race sponsered by Camel Cigarettes in December of 1971 with this 1969 L88
63Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #34
slopoke17
CF Senior Member

Growing up I always wanted a Trans Am with the screaming chicken on the hood. Had all the posters in my room, models etc. In 1977 my first summer job had me working with the owner. One night he said we had to pick up his new car at his parents house so I went for the ride. He picked up a blue '77 vette with white interior. I totally forgot about TA's and had to have a vette. I never forgot the view looking over the hood seeing the two fenders flaring up on the sides with the engine roaring. I was hooked.

The next summer I had saved enough and I purchased my first vette at 19, a used red '77! My wife and I dated with that car and even used it for awhile after we got married. Unfortunately we couldn't afford another car and the vette wasn't very practical in the new england winters so we sold it in 1982. Over the years I've had several other years but always dreamed of getting my first one back. My most recent was a 2003 millenium yellow ZO6. The car just didn't do anything for me so I sold it last year. This past January, 30 years after I sold my first one I found a nice '77 with 32K miles on it. My wife and I took our maiden voyage with it and it felt like we were back in the 70's. Some how though I think the car shrunk over the years as we didn't remember it being so snug!
1981:
[IMG][/IMG]

2012:
[IMG][/IMG]
slopoke17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #35
holden7896
CF Senior Member

I've always loved old muscle cars and every time I see a corvette on the road I druel. Even though I never had money I always got on Craigslist just to see what it was. I always told my parents that someday I'd have a corvette. But i was searching Craigslist for my first car. I never even thought to search for a corvette as I never thought I'd have enough money til later on in my life. But i got a job so about once a week I would search for old camaros. I went to look at a couple but were just too big of projects. I did want a project car but wanted it to be mechanically sound. I've always wanted to own my own garage and this would be a learning experience. One day I was looking at camaros and somehow a 1982 corvette made it through the filter. I called the guy and made arrangements to look at it that night. As soon as I saw it I fell in love with it even though it's paint was stripped. The guy had been getting many calls about because of the low price. He even had arrangements for the next day but he wanted me to have it. We agreed on $4750 with a new paint job. He painted it white (he already bought the paint so I had no choice what color). I don't think he knew what the car was worth because I got it for a steal. I have yet to find a better deal and don't regret it at all. Even when it takes my paychecks away right when I get them. I got my first corvette (also first car) at 15 years old. It was in October 2011. I can't wait to start driving it.
holden7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #36
DJ Freddie
CF Senior Member

I have always loved muscle cars but always considered vetts as something I could not afford. I was not in a market for a car. One day a co-worker walked into my office and asked if I was interested in a car. He said that his neighbor needed money and had a corvette for sale for about $4k but he thinks the guy will take $3500 for it. Not interested...I asked him how beat up it was and if it ran. He said that it runs but something is wrong with the engine...knocking really bad. To hush him up I agreed to drive by after work to see it (expecting a pile of junk..and planning to just say...not interested). I was surprised to see a body intack without damage. The motor sounded horrible. I offered him 2k. He excepted so quickly that I just gave him $1800 and pulled the car home. Later discovered that the firing order was off causing the motor to run horrible ( #1 and #2 wires crossed). Motor ran great. Started working on interior and fresh paint. Later rebuilt motor for more horsepower.
Before and after pictures

DJ Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #37
Stroh
CF Senior Member

Wow Freddie, great deal, great car.!!!
Stroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
TaylorB44
CF Member

Nothing too exciting, but here goes!
Ever since I was 10 my dad had a favorite old muscle cars book and he would always let me look through it because i was fascinated with them. By the time I was twelve I knew I wanted to have one one day so I got myself a job 8th grade and saved every penny I managed to get. by the time I was 15 I had my heart set on a '69 Vette and started looking and eventually a friend of a friend said he had a '73 he didn't need. I ended up driving down to Florida in our Hummer with my stepdad and hauled her back a little after my 16th birthday hopefully I'll get my '69 soon, it is an amazing experience being able to know so much about them. Plus the head turns I get from guys ain't half bad either!
TaylorB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
GOLF72
CF Senior Member

I had a 67 Camaro in high school and in my late 40's I finished a 67 Camaro on a frame off restoration. I did built a few more cars as the bug had bit me. When I was a cop in late 80's, I had a 76 C3. I found a 78 on Craig's List and made a low ball offer mainly becuse
3k was my budget. I s/w the guy and we seemed to hit if off. He knew I was a car person and appreciated that. He said he had people coming over the weekend to look at it and I said, well call me if something changes. 10 mintues later he asked if I could be at his house in an hour. I said yes.

The car is originally from Washington state. It has 32k oriignal miles, L82. Interior is almost in the wrapper. It started right up but would not stay running (bad fuel). Tires were rotted out. It was sitting for over 10 year under a cover.

I am just now starting the restoration process.

GOLF72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #40
RMVette
CF Senior Member

RMVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Whats the Story behind your C3?
  •