Sponsored by:

1971 front end parts and springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1971 front end parts and springs

Hi, Iam looking to do my 71 front end over. I looked on ebay and saw a whole kit with everything except springs. Does anyone know if the sets on ebay are good? Iam also looking for springs that are not going to be high after install anyone have any suggestions? My 71 is a 350 with air.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 2001convertable
...looking to do my 71 front end over. I looked on ebay and saw a whole kit with everything except springs. Does anyone know if the sets on ebay are good?...
Depends on the seller. All the major aftermarket providers sell front suspension rebuild kits. You're not tied to purchasing from eBay.

... Iam also looking for springs that are not going to be high after install anyone have any suggestions?...
Use stock heighth replacement springs. You can expect the front to be a tad higher with replacement springs because your old originals have probably sagged a little with age.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am considering the same on my '68 to remove some play in the steering … not terrible, but easily noticeable when driving. The “basic” kits seem to have ball joints, A-arm bushings, tie rod ends, and sway bar links. Other more expensive kits also contain idler arm, bumpers, and tie rod tubes.

I am not sure if the extra cost of the “deluxe” kit is worth the expense. On the other hand, I don’t want to go with the basic only to regret not doing the deluxe. Any experiences and suggestions with these front suspension rebuild kits and the various companies that sell them?

Also, how does one determine if the springs are in need of replacement? Shocks are definitely in the plan, but not sure about springs.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you buy those kind of 'critical' parts based on "cost", you will likely be sorely disappointed sometime in the future.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you buy those kind of 'critical' parts based on "cost", you will likely be sorely disappointed sometime in the future.
The asian components in the cheap kits are crap and dont last. Go to VBP or Van Steel and get quality parts!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Yes, that is a very true statement and I appreciate the candid input! Likewise, if you buy parts with total disregard to cost, you will be sorely disappointed with your bank account sometime in the future.

Cost is one of many factors to consider, others including quality, originality, performance, need, purpose for your car, etc. I am a new Vette owner, who is hopelessly ignorant about suspension. So I apologize if my questions seem stupid and naive.

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
The asian components in the cheap kits are crap and dont last. Go to VBP or Van Steel and get quality parts!
Thanks for the info, as I did not know about these suppliers! So with the Van Steel kits, are you suggesting for instance to go with the “Moog” product, as opposed to “House Brand” or is their House Brand also a good quality part? Considering originality, is any brand of rubber (as opposed to poly) parts considered an original replacement on these types of parts? I am looking for original, not performance parts.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
rdoupe
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a lot of research on this for my current 71 frame off project, mine is going to be a stock correct car, the best springs I could find that were exact copy's of OEM were from Zip.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 front end parts and springs

Quick Reply: 1971 front end parts and springs