C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to "sand" down a Vette for painting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
BKelby
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best way to "sand" down a Vette for painting?

I'm looking to repaint my 79' and was wondering what would be the best way to sand it down just to repaint it the same yellow it currently is. I've read about people using chemicals or razor blades? Would I be fine just sanding it down with sand paper to the paint? It's the original 79' paint so it has some fade and layers of clear coat have been worn down.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can sand the paint to a dull finish, but if you want to do a better job, it is always recommended to remove all the paint for a better finish. JMHO
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it has clear it is not an original 79 paint job. They changed to a base clear half way through the 1981 model year when they moved to Bowling Green, before that it was a non cleared process.
The following users liked this post:
MART60 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
BKelby
Intermediate

Ah, well I guess it has just gone through layers of paint then.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pic's of what you have? You need to try and determined how many times it has been painted. If you have multiple paint jobs on the car you need to strip it down to glass and start over. My 2 cents-
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RIO68
any pic's of what you have? You need to try and determined how many times it has been painted. If you have multiple paint jobs on the car you need to strip it down to glass and start over. My 2 cents-
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM
BKelby
Intermediate

It's the original paint job from 79'. Hasn't been re-painted, yet. I'll post a pic when I get home. My avatar is the car.
The following users liked this post:
toddnakro (08-19-2021)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
cgc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the best would be to get down to glass BUT are you looking for show quality paint $$$ or fresh driver quality paint? I had mine sanded down and shot over the original paint some 25 years ago. IMO it still looks as good as it did then no pealing bubbles cracks. I didn't have the money or time to strip it all off. The guy that did it is still amazed every time he sees it. He says he should have charged me more.

My point is you don't have to strip it to have good looking paint. Again I agree it would be best to strip and start over.

With that being said I know nothing about today's paint and it's characteristics. Maybe you should listen to the "paint generation".
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM
BKelby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cgc
I agree the best would be to get down to glass BUT are you looking for show quality paint $$$ or fresh driver quality paint? I had mine sanded down and shot over the original paint some 25 years ago. IMO it still looks as good as it did then no pealing bubbles cracks. I didn't have the money or time to strip it all off. The guy that did it is still amazed every time he sees it. He says he should have charged me more.

My point is you don't have to strip it to have good looking paint. Again I agree it would be best to strip and start over.

With that being said I know nothing about today's paint and it's characteristics. Maybe you should listen to the "paint generation".
Doesn't need to be show quality... I just want a driver quality paint to just make the car one solid color again... the back fenders are faded a bit and lighter than the rest of the car... along with the front skirt. Plus... it has some scratches in the paint that I would just like to fix, and also add some clear coats to some new layers of paint to protect the paint/car better.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
BKelby
Intermediate

Just took some quick pictures right when I got home.
Attached Images    
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could start with about a 200 grit sand paper and a good sanding block. Sand until you get to mostly primer. Go over it again with about 400 grit. This takes a great deal of time but if you do it yourself, you will appreciate the results. I suggest a good stereo and plenty of cold beverages as well as patience. I did a quarter a day as a goal.

My two cents.

Mike
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM
BKelby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chadronvette
You could start with about a 200 grit sand paper and a good sanding block. Sand until you get to mostly primer. Go over it again with about 400 grit. This takes a great deal of time but if you do it yourself, you will appreciate the results. I suggest a good stereo and plenty of cold beverages as well as patience. I did a quarter a day as a goal.

My two cents.

Mike
Sounds like a good time to me. Did the same thing with my old Mustang...
Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BK,
Even if you're not looking for a 'fabulous' paint job I'd think removing all the original paint will result in a better looking/ longer lasting paint job.
If you can do the paint removal yourself it's basically just your time and effort.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
BKelby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi BK,
Even if you're not looking for a 'fabulous' paint job I'd think removing all the original paint will result in a better looking/ longer lasting paint job.
If you can do the paint removal yourself it's basically just your time and effort.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks for the suggestion and advice, Alan. Guess I'll sleep on it and decide what to do. I know this paint job won't be the "amazing" paint job that will be the car's official paint job. Just one to get it by until I can afford a better one in a few years and so it can at least be one solid color without any fades or chips in the paint.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
CHarper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I thought when had my 82 stripped down to the glass that most of the work was over. Was I ever wrong, after shooting epoxy primer I am block sanding it. If done correctly this is almost as difficult as sanding off the original paint. Maybe I'm being too **** about it but after all this effort I hope a painter can match the quality I'm putting into this car.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM
David c3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sanding

Originally Posted by cgc

Was car sanded by block or da? What grits of sandpaper was used?

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to "sand" down a Vette for painting?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by David c3
Was car sanded by block or da? What grits of sandpaper was used?
This was posted 6 years ago.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Wow. Takes a long time to sand to bare glass.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Car is ready for a repaint by now.

Quick Reply: Best way to "sand" down a Vette for painting?