New Fiero seat covers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:16 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Default Fiero Brackets

Originally Posted by theandies
I'm starting to mark up my brackets. I got the flat bar at Home Depot. I have the drawing but can't make out the two small dimensions on the left side of the top bracket. Anyone know what they are. I even went to web-site where these brackets are found and it's unreadable there as well. Here is that picture:
The top left is 3/8", and below it on the left is 1/2".
I modified the plan a little bit, making it easier (at least for me). I drilled all the holes through, no tapping. Then used nuts on the bolts to connect. Also, the one length should be 14", not 13 7/8". It will fit better.

This.........

The following users liked this post:
theandies (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:35 AM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
The top left is 3/8", and below it on the left is 1/2".
I modified the plan a little bit, making it easier (at least for me). I drilled all the holes through, no tapping. Then used nuts on the bolts to connect. Also, the one length should be 14", not 13 7/8". It will fit better.

This.........

Exactly
The ones I got pre made did not fit on my Fiero seats
I didn't measure mine but I am assuming they were the 13 and 7/8 and they didn't come close
In addition, the bend on the one bracket was not enough to clear my slider release
Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Great Info. I emailed Binnie @ http://corvettec3.ca/fiero.htm and got the dimensions. I see the 13 7/8 is for the old Fiero seat tracks. I guess this is why the front hole in the seat track is slotted like Mr. Mike points out in his installation video and that he mentions to re-attach the seat tracks starting in the back. GM's solution to manufacturing variances. I'm going to measure the holes in the bottom of my seat pans and go from there.
Thanks everyone.

EDIT - I just measured both seat pans bolt holes and sure enough 3 of the measurements are 14 inches and one is 13 7/8. Measure 10 times cut once.

Last edited by theandies; 07-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gwgwgw
Exactly
The ones I got pre made did not fit on my Fiero seats
I didn't measure mine but I am assuming they were the 13 and 7/8 and they didn't come close
In addition, the bend on the one bracket was not enough to clear my slide......
Rather than bending, I cut out a slot to clear the side release. Depending on which seat release you have, the outcome should look similar to this.............

Front view of bolted bracket to seat track......

The following 2 users liked this post by C3 Stroker:
AllC34Me (07-15-2018), theandies (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM
theandies
Team Owner

I was thinking about doing that as well but I'm way far from that yet. It doesn't make the bracket too weak does it? I still have to figure out what colors/pattern I want. I'm just starting to fix all the little things that need fixing on the donor seats and getting the brackets made up before installing the covers. Next weekend I'm going to take the passenger seat out of the Vette to clean up the seat tracks and to mock up the brackets.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:17 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by theandies
I was thinking about doing that as well but I'm way far from that yet. It doesn't make the bracket too weak does it?........
No, it's still plenty strong. Others have made the cuts also. The brackets basically just extend and offset the floor bolts. You still have the full strength of the stock C3 sliders. I have seen example installs using brackets running left to right instead of front to rear.....works just as well if you can fit it.
The following users liked this post:
theandies (07-14-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Just finished mounting the passenger seat. I made a cutout of the outboard bracket to clear the seat track mechanism and that works well. I think 3" bar stock would allow more metal on the side where the cutout ends, which is a little smaller that a 1/4 inch but with the seat track bolted up it's pretty stiff and won't break. Overall I've very happy. Now I just have to make the drivers side brackets and the on to recovering the seats.

Headrest sits up higher than I thought but it looks good IMO.

Last edited by theandies; 07-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: New Fiero seat covers installed!