Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 1974 Stingray - FIRST TIME BUYER - NO AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
adkravets
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 1974 Stingray - FIRST TIME BUYER - NO AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE

Hello,

I have been looking around for a convertible for under $20,000 that does not need much work. I have stumbled upon a 1974 silver stingray that is for sale for $13,500. The description states:

Crate 350 motor under 20k mikes, 4 speed, New clutch, stereo, Power windows, steering and brakes. Good tires. Interior is nice with minor wear. Paint is nice. Needs some minor touch ups. Just an all around nice vette. Fun to drive, sounds great and is fast.

The pictures make it looks pretty clean (image links below).

I have a few questions:

1) I assume the engine is new - is that a typical engine for the car? Is it a good match for the transmission/ breaks?

2) It doesn't look like it has seat belts - would this car not pass inspection? Is there anything else I should look out for that would make it not pass inspection? Is it possible to add seat belts or is that undertaking a large project / be safe when complete?

3) What else am I not asking/ thinking about that I should be? What should I look for if I see it in person?

I appreciate the help. Thank you,

Alex

Image links:

http://images.craigslist.org/5If5L85...6ec4511560.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5N15K85...e8d32c118c.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5Lc5I45...eeb9081b95.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5If5E15...c678361d9f.jpg
Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

seriously nice, good price too.imho I'd jump on that.
1 yes
2 yes
3 ask all the questions you like
4 post the location and yours
drive it and have fun

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 08-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Car looks nice, tough to tell about the engine..has aftermarket headers which is good for performance- not great on originality, but the entire front suspension seems to have been replaced and I'd think you'd want to have that examined for structure, reliability and maintenance.Interior looks nice- but do seat bottoms look short?

I'd suggest finding a place that can do a very thorough assessment of the car- $13.5 certainly isn't bad if it's rust free and squared away- but I'm not sure there's enough info here to make an educated guess.

Good luck-
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
Car looks nice, tough to tell about the engine..has aftermarket headers which is good for performance- not great on originality.
Uh... that's a good thing. That whole crate engine is a good thing too. If this car had the original numbers matching 190-250hp 350 he'd be asking more than the 13.5k for a car that's actually worse.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by adkravets

3) What else am I not asking/ thinking about that I should be? What should I look for if I see it in person?
These cars can suffer from terminal rot under the fibreglass skin. Fixing one will double your investment cost and is rarely worth it. If you have no automotive experience, hire someone that knows Corvettes and have him inspect it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Alex,
It does look like a nice convertible in the picture.
It has LOT'S of modifications and that's reflected in the relatively low price.
Since you have no experience you're really going to be depending on the ability of the people who chose all the parts and put this car together... because this is no longer the Corvette that Chevrolet built.
I really agree with Mike that you need to get a knowledgable Corvette person to look at the car with you, explain what's there, and what you may be facing in the future.
Are you interested in a modified car?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks good. Have that thing inspected...and pick it up if it checks out. Have him send you more detailed pics and post em. Where are you located?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default learning to spell this morning

You are in good shape here. You have a decent budget, realistic goals, and most important you did not jump in without checking things out. There are some really nice looking 'vettes out there that are junk and it is easy to get caught up in their beauty and over look something that will cost a LOT of money.
I assume they would not put a crate engine and new suspension in a car with a squishy frame, but people do some odd things. I would encourage you to fill out your profile and try to find somebody who knows corvettes -not just "cars"- to look at it with you.
If the car checks out you should be in good shape. You said you want a car that does not need a lot of work and that is good. These cars are pushing 40 and so there will be some things that need some attention now or down the road. Since you are well under your budget, if the car checks out you should be in good shape.
I really like the looks of the car and think it could fit you well.
Hope it works out for you!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Define "no automotive experience."

Nice looking 74, but, if it makes a difference to you, the car is not stock. If you want this car, you will also have to want the changes the owner has made to it.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
adkravets
4th Gear

Thank you all for the information and feedback. I will take a look and check out the specifics.

I am interested in a car that looks good, runs well, and will last. Original vs. modified doesn't really matter.

I live in Boston, MA - will update my profile.

Also - no automotive experience meaning I can pour windshield wiper fluid and oil in - thats about it. I would love to learn how to rebuild a car and an engine but don't have the space for that just yet.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

It isn't about "rebuilding a car". The thing is about being somewhat fearless about tearing into the thing.

I hadn't held a Holley carb in my hand until I owned my car. First order of business was rebuilding it. Works great!

I've been through some other issues such as replacing the ignition, fixing some leaks, and replacing the radiator, all of which I've done myself.

Now it seems I have something going ill in the rear end. Rear wheel bearings is the current thought from the brain trust. Still investigating.

Point is, no matter what it is, I'm fixing it myself. Even thinking of painting it myself.

The problems haven't bothered my wife one bit. She knows that's why I bought the car...to tinker.

I would encourage you to purchase your car for the same reason. If you plan on shipping the car off to the local Firestone every time you have an issue, I predict you're not going to have very much fun.

The good news is that these things are built like a brick 'poo'-house, so you can drive them through a vast variety of little issues and just have fun until you're ready/willing/prepared to fix it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't mention how you intend to use the car. Will this be your only transportation or just a sunny day / weekend car? How many miles do you expect to accumulate in a year? Will it be garage kept?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

A few things I spotted right off. There's an electrical problem with the starter interlock system. Also the right front frame horn is twisted and causing the sway bar to float. Shroud and radiator don't line up. HEI distributor and aftermarket tach mounted on the column. All emissions removed, EGR blocked off. Not sure about Boston's regulations so this may not be a problem.
What concerns me is even though it's no longer original it's still a low price. Somone has put some considerable amount of money in aftermarket parts on it and the price doesn't reflect that. He may have a good reason for selling it since financial problems are affecting everyone but it may need a major repair and is trying to unload it on someone.
Are you also in Boston? I'm sure there's someone here on the forum that will take a look at it and give an expert opinion. It looks like a really good deal, hopefully it is.
Mike
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by adkravets
...Original vs. modified doesn't really matter...
It can matter if you are unsure what modifications the previous owner made.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
78 t-tops
Cruising

my advice if you do not have much auto experiance you might want to steer clear of car pushing 40 years , no offence but im sure most of the guys here will tell you problems come up it just happens ,but its also why you own these kind of cars , its about getting dirty , the long nights in the garage with a wife thats pissed cuz your covered in grease, but at the end of the day hearing that engine turn over its all good .
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
adkravets
4th Gear

Thank you all for the replies and information.

This would be a weekend/ sunny day car. Not many miles in a year, maybe 2,500 tops.

I have decided to hold off until next spring to make the plunge. I don't have the capacity to fix it right now if anything were to happen - and i wouldn't want to just bring it to a shop. That would take the fun out of it. Plus letting it sit for the winter isn't ideal.

Thanks again
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you find one in Boston or south of the city give me a shout and I'll help you take a look at it. I've had my 72 almost completely apart so I know what to look for in terms of New England rust.

Rick B.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a 1974 Stingray - FIRST TIME BUYER - NO AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE

Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
axelz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents, I think you should pass. Repair cost can be very expensive and 13 K for a 1974 I think is to much.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 78 t-tops
my advice if you do not have much auto experiance you might want to steer clear of car pushing 40 years , no offence but im sure most of the guys here will tell you problems come up it just happens ,but its also why you own these kind of cars , its about getting dirty , the long nights in the garage with a wife thats pissed cuz your covered in grease, but at the end of the day hearing that engine turn over its all good .

I have a 74 vette and I have to take it to the garage to be fixed more times then I care to think about. (Hand Tremors) My 98 knock on wood hasn't had any issues since its 24 years younger plus only has 46k. I paid well under 20k for the 98 Pace Car, I love the c3 looks but you need to take a spin in a c5.

If you ever go to NH there is a Corvette Dealer near the Loudon Race Track. Heck of a nice guy to deal with I bought my 98 from him he'll let you try one out. PM me if you decide to check him out I'll give you the address etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
adkravets
4th Gear

Thank you guys for the last three posts.

When I decide to make a move in the spring I will reach out to you.

Quick Reply: Considering a 1974 Stingray - FIRST TIME BUYER - NO AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE