C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are early C3 prices doing in general?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
E12n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryga
I have been a car collecter since the mid 70's, now own my 88th corvette and I remember well back in the 70's the same thing you pointed out about the age, was said about the Packards, Cords and Dusenberg's. Never happened.

You must remember there are two types of collectors, people that want original and people that want the look and a car that handles like a new car (restro rod)
An example is I negotiated on a 62 vette Sunday that had been perfectly restored and we stopped at him wanting $75,000, yet I have a Friend with a 62 restro rod, with an LS3/overdrive and he has turned down over $150,000 and car is not for sale.

Last five years be it Barrett or any other auction, the restro rods are bringing the money.

Personally for me, any more restorations I do will be restro rod and If i buy the 62, it will get a new drive train from front to rear along with disc's and upgraded suspension.
34 yr old here...What's a Cord?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 AM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I fear that the vintage auto market (except for the rich and very elite classic vehicles) is beginning the slide DOWN. As mentioned above, us 'old guys' (60+ years old) will not be staying in this mode of collecting and maintaining these cars for many more years....for one reason or another.

And, while there are some young folks who really like the same old cars that we do, most do not. In 10-15 years, local car shows may be a thing of the past, as we sell or bequeath these cars to others. And, most young folks don't really have the background and/or training required to work on these cars and keep them viable. I am always very thankful and supportive of young folks who attend these shows and ask questions. It is those folks that will save this "hobby"...if there are enough of them.

I had a hot wheels c3 when I was a little kid. Wanted a real one ever since. I'm 27 now, finally got mine about 8 months ago. I see a lot of c3s around for sale that people drool over but have no idea how cheap they are. Thing is, most young people don't have even 5-10 grand laying around to buy one. You can't finance it, and you can't put it on a credit card.

I always thought Harleys would cease to exist. Ten years ago I never saw anybody under fifty on a Harley. Now I know tons of people my age who have them, and they're more expensive than c3s. Trends change I guess. You can get a loan on a bike though.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by E12n
34 yr old here...What's a Cord?
LOL, don't feel bad, wish I was your age but to answer your question, it is like an Auburn.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by brianPA
I had a hot wheels c3 when I was a little kid. Wanted a real one ever since. I'm 27 now, finally got mine about 8 months ago. I see a lot of c3s around for sale that people drool over but have no idea how cheap they are. Thing is, most young people don't have even 5-10 grand laying around to buy one. You can't finance it, and you can't put it on a credit card.

I always thought Harleys would cease to exist. Ten years ago I never saw anybody under fifty on a Harley. Now I know tons of people my age who have them, and they're more expensive than c3s. Trends change I guess. You can get a loan on a bike though.
Brian,
You can finance them, just not through your bank.
Do a search and there are a number of companies on line that specialize in financing old cars.
I have sold cars, held with deposit and within 4-8 days the guy has acquired financing and a check.
One guy said it was 6.5% interest but that was a couple of years ago, so may be cheaper now.
Not sure the terms one guy had but he said his payment was going to be 330 a month and that was on a $55,000 car.
Makes it real do-able!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Brian,
You can finance them, just not through your bank.
Do a search and there are a number of companies on line that specialize in financing old cars.
I have sold cars, held with deposit and within 4-8 days the guy has acquired financing and a check.
One guy said it was 6.5% interest but that was a couple of years ago, so may be cheaper now.
Not sure the terms one guy had but he said his payment was going to be 330 a month and that was on a $55,000 car.
Makes it real do-able!
Didn't know that! I bet the terms would not be so favorable for somebody with a short credit history. Dealer financing is dangerously easy because they make money on the sale and the loan.

Love the blue paint, btw.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by brianPA
Didn't know that! I bet the terms would not be so favorable for somebody with a short credit history. Dealer financing is dangerously easy because they make money on the sale and the loan.

Love the blue paint, btw.
thanks,
When the jetstream blue came out, I decided I was going to paint the 74 that color and when I bought a new one, it would be jet stream.
Almost lost out when GM stop making the jet stream because of the sunamee that destroyed the zerrelic plant in Japan.
It had to be a convert so ended up getting it from a dealer in MD this spring.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

thanks,
When the jetstream blue came out, I decided I was going to paint the 74 that color and when I bought a new one, it would be jet stream.
Almost lost out when GM stop making the jet stream because of the sunamee that destroyed the zerrelic plant in Japan.
It had to be a convert so ended up getting it from a dealer in MD this spring.
off topic, I love my Jetstream Blue.

On topic- I spend most of my time on the C2 forum, browsing and learning. I quasi-restored a '69 coupe in college and owned it for several more years. There are more than a few 30 odd year old C2 owners on the CF, but not as many as 55+ years by a long shot. I do think we will see a decline in interest over the next ten years. It will get the C3's as well. The number of cars is pretty static at worst- very few destroyed anymore and many more being restored. Supply will remain good, demand will go down. Prices will follow. With inflation in play you may buy a $40K c2 today and in fifteen years it may be worth 60K, but if a $14 case of beer then costs $21 it's a wash. At least you get to enjoy the car the whole time. Most of the great group of C1/C2 guys generally advise against new owners buying as a capital gain move...
Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

In my opinion, the 70-72 bumper cars are going to be the next best category after the LT 1's and big blocks and are holding their values well. If you buy it right, drive it some and keep your expenses at a minimum, you should be able to get out of it what you paid. I currently own a 74 that like most, have put far more into it that I will ever get out. But the way I see it is that I have a car that is holding it's value and the enjoyment factor is off the chart. Hard to put a price on smiles and thumbs up I get everywhere I drive.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
In my opinion, the 70-72 bumper cars are going to be the next best category after the LT 1's and big blocks and are holding their values well. If you buy it right, drive it some and keep your expenses at a minimum, you should be able to get out of it what you paid. I currently own a 74 that like most, have put far more into it that I will ever get out. But the way I see it is that I have a car that is holding it's value and the enjoyment factor is off the chart. Hard to put a price on smiles and thumbs up I get everywhere I drive.
I agree and where I have in the past restored and sold, be it a vette or GTO or SL never drove one more then 30-35 miles to test, it is all about making money.
In 92 wife said she wanted a 57 baby blue T-bird, I think I said what the H is that. looked 13 states for three years to find a rust free loaded one that had the engine I wanted (D) I restored it for her and to this day, you hurt her car, she would probably just shoot you.
At a party about 8 years ago, one of the Atlanta braves tried to buy it from her and when he hit 80,000, all I could do was hope but she told him, he did not have enough money to buy the car.
If we sold the car today for $1000, her enjoyment she has gotten from that car (30,000 miles later) cannot be measured.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by briankeery
45 here and couldn't agree more. I have the money sitting today to purchase a new 2012 GS vert, but to pull the trigger I'd probably be the youngest guy within 100 miles of my home to own one by probably 15 years!!!!

@bb62 If all C classes have roughly the same median age......show me a 35 year old owner of a C1/C2.......or someone who has the cake to pull off the deal. Sure there are exceptions to every rule, but the generation behind ours would rather spend their money on some 4 cylinder rice rocket. I, like Mike, see a glut in the next 10-15 years as "baby-boomers" try to cash out to recuperate some of their life savings.
36 and waiting patiently for a midyear roadster to be affordable..................
Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 PM
E12n
Instructor

LOL, don't feel bad, wish I was your age but to answer your question, it is like an Auburn.
Thanks for the reference, but still had to ask an older colleague at work about the Auburn
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 AM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dan H.
36 and waiting patiently for a midyear roadster to be affordable..................
I think the time is now - I can't imagine the prices getting any lower
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, if you really want a C3, there is no better time than "now"....whenever that is. Waiting around for prices to improve is no way to get on with your vintage car hobby.

"Time's a' wastin' !!"

P.S. What other car can you buy, drive around for a few years, then sell for the same [or more] money than you spent to buy it?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default c3

If you have an 81 and want to restore, restore it. If you have an earlier you'll not recover your restoration costs. I bought a good shape c3 76 four speed l48 with good paint and interior then spent $10,000 getting it ready to own safely, putting modified exhausts, new suspension parts, etc so I could drive it one day on a road racing course and be safe with it after that. I spent what I paid for it but the value of the car still isn't any higher. I plan to keep it forever so I don't care but the money I spent was for me, not the next buyer.

If you want a real bargain in cost, buy a C4...they are the bastards of the Corvette family, are available pretty cheaply and most are in pretty good shape. Fun to drive and still fairly showy they just don't have the style of a c3 or a c5+. they are, however, terrific values if you want to own and drive a Corvette. I've even thought of getting a second vet and betting one of them but I have too many other speed toys so haven't.

Lance P.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
E12n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu72
I think the time is now - I can't imagine the prices getting any lower
And we aren't getting any younger...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Im 31. I am the exception. I bought my 63 over 5 yrs ago.

Cant tell you how many times I have heard someone say "your father has a beautiful car."

The C3 crowd is much more fun anyways.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by exposingtime
Im 31. I am the exception. I bought my 63 over 5 yrs ago.

Cant tell you how many times I have heard someone say "your father has a beautiful car."

The C3 crowd is much more fun anyways.
Nice car and at your age, keep that thing, as it will only go up in value.
Helper looks like a keeper also.

Quick Reply: What are early C3 prices doing in general?