Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth any kind of offer?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worth any kind of offer?

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I rebuilt three MGB's over the years, sold them all bought my C5 in Feb. But.. I'm going crazy by not having a project in the garage to work on. I still have a garage full of MGB parts but this car is just up the road from me and is actually what I wanted years and years ago, a C3 but it looks from the ad to be a REAL big project. I'm thinking without engine and transmission, the way it sits. maybe 900 bucks? What do you folks think, or just turn the page and don't look again at it. Thanks

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ395683038

(I hope I'm allowed to post this ad?)

Paul
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Be sure to check the frame & birdcage thoroughly. If ok then your offer of $900 sounds about right. If he has a bunch of new interior parts (ad is unclear just how much he has) you could go up a few hundred.

Last edited by zwede; 08-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not for the faint of heart, or me either. Might be what you are looking for, but my first thought is unless you have an engine and trans laying around, I'd think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a running/driving car. In fact, considering evything you will have to sink into this, you might come out cheaper buying a C3 that is already restored.

If you are looking for a big challange, this might be for you.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

I've asked for some up to date pictures. I think I'll try to slide up tomorrow to take a look. Just odd that he'd start working on the interior before the body!!!

I'll post any more questions after I see it.. Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Not for the faint of heart, or me either. Might be what you are looking for, but my first thought is unless you have an engine and trans laying around, I'd think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a running/driving car. In fact, considering evything you will have to sink into this, you might come out cheaper buying a C3 that is already restored.

If you are looking for a big challange, this might be for you.

Ya shoulda seen the MGB GT I restored. 90% of the body I replaced. It's the thrill of the chase here.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
Ya shoulda seen the MGB GT I restored. 90% of the body I replaced. It's the thrill of the chase here.

Then this should be right up your alley.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It'll definitely keep you busy over the winter. The new rims and tires are probably worth your intended purchase price.....good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
Here's what I think happened.
He looked through that Corvette Central catalogue he mentions, and made a list of what this car needs, and what it will cost.
He decided "no way am I going to put THAT much $$$$ into THIS car.
He's hoping you won't take the trouble to figure that out. Even if he paid YOU the $1500 you still might be upside down in it.
Spend a little more and at least get a complete car.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cost of a 79 in good condition compared to the cost of bringing this car up to the same level as a good 79,not a good idea.Better to spend a little more money on a car that will return your investment of time and money.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Paul,
Here's what I think happened.
He looked through that Corvette Central catalogue he mentions, and made a list of what this car needs, and what it will cost.
He decided "no way am I going to put THAT much $$$$ into THIS car.
He's hoping you won't take the trouble to figure that out. Even if he paid YOU the $1500 you still might be upside down in it.
Spend a little more and at least get a complete car.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan. I completely understand that. I did the same thing last fall when I had a chance to pick up an '87 convertible that needed lots of work. I got it for a great price, got it running pretty well and did some other work to it. I then stepped back, added everything up and decided to sell it, the MG's and buy our C5 for a lot less then I sold the MG's for. I don't need a complete car, I need a project. If it takes 4 years, fine. The money spent will be stretched out, right?
He just sent me an email back and is looking for more pictures for me, or will take some tonight..
Just a shot in the dark here.. If it is too much then I will gladly listen and pass on it.

Thanks for the great feedback.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 45 Posts

i think 900 would be a pretty good deal,
if it turns out to be a total disaster and you would be pouring big bucks in it ,you could always part it out and come out on top.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to swap your Moss Motors and Roadster Factory catalogs for Willcox, Corvette Central and ZIP catalogs but I think you'll have a blast bringing this back if you decide to go with this one. Corvettes cost more than MGs or Triumphs to "do" and the end result will likely sell for less than you realized on the GT...

As long as you know this up front you can come out OK... just plan the project realistically... shop wisely, and don't force the issue if parts vs budget clash... GM made bunches of these things; there's an active owner base trading parts here and the aftermarket is flooded with deals as vendors compete for your shrinking dollar. Ebay is your friend as well if looking to complete the car for less. Many of us schlep parts to fund the sickness so it can be done for realistic money.

Last edited by markids77; 08-14-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can get it for around 900, and since your looking for a long term project, pull the trigger. Presently, I am doing a body off on a 73 Coupe that was used hard and pit away wet. She was a real orphan. However, I too was looking for a long term project., this just fit my needs/want.

8Valve
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8valve
If you can get it for around 900, and since your looking for a long term project, pull the trigger. Presently, I am doing a body off on a 73 Coupe that was used hard and pit away wet. She was a real orphan. However, I too was looking for a long term project., this just fit my needs/want.

8Valve
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a '79 so it's not a high value car. It appears to have a lot missing and if it doesn't have the original engine and transmission it will be worth even less. If you're looking to restore it to original condition I would run away, however, if you want a car that you can modify any way you want then it might be OK.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy it for parts if you have the space,and keep looking for a slightly better candidate for restoring,ideally a complete running one.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
Just odd that he'd start working on the interior before the body!!!
Was exactly the case with our '77. Lots of new interior parts but the body was full of cracks, trans was making noise and the engine was junk. Made no sense to me either, but I didn't have to buy a bunch of very expensive interior parts.

That looks like a BIG project - guessing complete rebuild needed from front to back. Sounds like you enjoy that type of thing, so it may be a good fit for you.

Always like to see a classic of any type brought back from the dead.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Worth any kind of offer?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Even at a sub 1K buy in this is a major money pit. I realize you're looking for a "project" but some more money up front will buy you a lot more car. The car being rough is not the issue as you have the skills to deal with that but there is a lot missing including many little items that you will only find out as you progress. Be cautious and realistic if you decide to chase after this car. Good luck going foward.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe an easier scenerio, don't know if it's ever been done, build a C3 from scratch using parts from all the Vendors out there, that's pretty much what you'll be doing with that wreck but everything will be brand new.

The windshield SS trim on top has rotted through if I am seeing correctly, that's pretty hard to find one that bad, go for it, but talk to one person on this forum in this thread from Ontario, Steve stpman before you buy and see what he has to say about the car and the work involved to get it up to snuff
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have the money, space and time....buy the car, sell it off in pieces for more than the $900. With the extra stuff he has there may be more money there.

Then take the extra money you now have, and buy a little better car.

If you really need that project to work on, then this is the one for you. It is almost a candidate for a frame off restoration, which is going to cost A LOT!

kdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth any kind of offer?