Sponsored by:

63/64 Daytona Blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
jjpish68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 63/64 Daytona Blue

Ok so I know I should not even be thinking this, but....
1982 Charcoal Grey with Red Interior. The color is alright, but would not be my first choice. I have spent some time looking around at colors and picking something to go with the red is very limiting.

I came across some pictures of 63 and 64 Daytona Blue with Red interior and I really like what I see.

I really do not plan on selling the car for a long long long long time so original paint color is not on the top of my list unless I can be convinced that I am going to greatly devalue the car by going with another color.

I don't want red, black, silver or white so it will either be Daytona Blue or Charcoal Grey as it was.

Thoughts on the color? Value or should I say devaluing?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jj,
For many, many, people changing the exterior color doesn't affect the value if they like the choice.
For a few people a color change decreases the value by the $$$ it would cost to change the color back to the color on the trim tag.
I'd think more than a few would shy away from Daytona Blue with a red interior.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM
jjpish68
Instructor

This is what I was looking at.

Last edited by jjpish68; 10-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

I owned a 63 split window that was Daytona blue with dark blue interior and it was a great car. The car in the post is not Daytona Blue it has to much blue. I remember that if you were 5 ft from the car it looked black and only when the sun hit it just right you could see the blue.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
I owned a 63 split window that was Daytona blue with dark blue interior and it was a great car. The car in the post is not Daytona Blue it has to much blue. I remember that if you were 5 ft from the car it looked black and only when the sun hit it just right you could see the blue.
The split window you posted doesn't look like Daytona Blue to me either. 69FASTFUN is dead on with his description. That car is way to bright of a blue. Daytona Blue is so dark that it often looks black.

That blue is more like the blue that was used on 96 Grand Sport Corvettes (which were also available with a red interior).
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM
jjpish68
Instructor

Thank You. I will keep searching for better pics. I really want the original Daytona Blue. My painter should be able to cross ref and find the correct color. I thought that those pics were a little too blue but I figured that it was just color corrected in the photo.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I'm more than OK with the Datona Blue and red interior. There is a forum member over in the C2 section RonChamp I think with those colors on a resto rod coupe. Very nice looking car that has been featured in magazines.
I'll go with "it's your car do with it what makes you happy not us".
With that said sometimes you don't go with what makes the car more valuable if you sell but rather what makes it more enjoyable for you drive. Remember it's a hobby which is suppose to be fun.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
jjpish68
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I'm more than OK with the Datona Blue and red interior. There is a forum member over in the C2 section RonChamp I think with those colors on a resto rod coupe. Very nice looking car that has been featured in magazines.
I'll go with "it's your car do with it what makes you happy not us".
With that said sometimes you don't go with what makes the car more valuable if you sell but rather what makes it more enjoyable for you drive. Remember it's a hobby which is suppose to be fun.
I will have to search for his C2, than you. I would like something a little different and unless I have absolutly no choice at all I do not plan on selling this car. I plan to get it all cleaned up, make the minor repairs it needs, get it a much deserved fresh coat of paint and enjoy it. There is nothing more that I would want than to enjoy it for a while and turn it over to my son someday. He just turned 16 so in about 20 years he can have it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Daytona Blue outside in the sun:

Daytona Blue inside:

I have a pretty good file on this color because I am shopping for the right Daytona Blue split window. Real DB is very dark, almost black in some lighting. As everyone said, that color you posted is not Daytona Blue.

My personal opinion is that I would hate it with a red interior. And of course everyone says "it's your car," but you have better be prepared to keep it for a long time if you mix blue and red on a late C3. I cant imagine trying to sell that. Again, JMO.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 10-01-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 AM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

Vettbuyer thanks for posting picture of the 63 that brings back alot of memories. I purchased mine in 1976 off of a show room floor and it was just beautiful. I sold it in 1977 along with my 66 427 coupe to buy a brand new 77. I still get sick thinking about it!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
Vettbuyer thanks for posting picture of the 63 that brings back alot of memories. I purchased mine in 1976 off of a show room floor and it was just beautiful. I sold it in 1977 along with my 66 427 coupe to buy a brand new 77. I still get sick thinking about it!!!!
(I should say ouch on the trade!)

I miss my Sebring Silver SWC more than any other Corvette I've ever sold. We are looking for just the right Daytona Blue/Blue car... it'll happen!!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
jjpish68
Instructor

I contacted Ron last night and he directed me to his FB page. Man that Daytona Blue with the RRed interior looks awesome on his car. I know it was not offered in 82 but I don't think I would run into another in my travels.

If it would not cost me $5000 and if my current interior wasn't in such good condition I would consider changing out the interior then I could go with any color I would want which would probably be some kind of 68/69 Camero Blue with White or Black interior...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint the darn thing any color you want... its your car so why should you even be concerned about what (some) potential buyers would think...

Buddy of mine just had his 64 (white interior) repainted its original Daytona Blue ..looks great but very very close to black tro my eyes...

I painted my 76 (original bright blue) a Corvette 92 Medium Quazar Blue Metallic that I love and has gotten more then its fair share of positive comments

Bob G.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 AM
jjpish68
Instructor

Originally Posted by 24695bob
Paint the darn thing any color you want... its your car so why should you even be concerned about what (some) potential buyers would think...

Buddy of mine just had his 64 (white interior) repainted its original Daytona Blue ..looks great but very very close to black tro my eyes...

I painted my 76 (original bright blue) a Corvette 92 Medium Quazar Blue Metallic that I love and has gotten more then its fair share of positive comments

Bob G.
Thank you and I agree. I have been searching around for ideas and I have come to a decision. Now I just need to get a price...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Charcoal Gray is an awesome color. I would change the interior color to black, gray, gunmetal, etc, before I change the exterior color.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

I love charcoal gray and red both - together they look pretty darn cool IMO. I have to say, when I read your post about blue on red it really didn't sit well with me, but after seeing the photos posted above (blue on red) and also how dark that blue really is, it's not too bad!

More important - as said above, it's your car - have fun!

Adam
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
jjpish68
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwank
Charcoal Gray is an awesome color. I would change the interior color to black, gray, gunmetal, etc, before I change the exterior color.
Paint is peeling off the front of the car. Just bought it last week. This the only issue with the car so painting it is not an option. So since it needs to be stripped and painted it is one of those "speak now or forever hold your peace' situations. Either I change it now or this is what I have for the long term.

It is currently the original color combo according to trim tag. I have put the "value" thing out of my mind. I have no plans to sell it and when I bought it selling anytime was not a thought.

I have found exactly what I had envisioned in my mind. I was thinking a dark blue with a grayish white racing stripe and maybe some red outline to tie it together. I was going to have my seats redone and add black to the sides portions of the seats keeping the middle sections red.

Anyway after I go through telling my wife this whole color combo thought I hear back from a forum member that tells me to check out Frankensport and that is exactly what I was just talking about...

http://www.thevettenet.com/slideshow...Metallic_T-Top

Get notified of new replies

To 63/64 Daytona Blue

Quick Reply: 63/64 Daytona Blue