Sponsored by:

Help I cant get my 75 c3 to run

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 AM
dave_villalba
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help I cant get my 75 c3 to run

Hello I am new to forum and I need some help. I have a 75 c3 I recently acquired, it has not been started in awhile so I changed the plugs oil and drained the tank to try and start it, It started with starter fluid ( which was promising, I put a gallon of fresh gas in it and took the fuel line off of the carb and cranked it over to make sure I had fuel. No luck. I then took my compressor and ran air through the lines to see if I had some blockage and tried again with no luck. And so I replaced the fuel pump and disconnected lines from fuel pump and ran compressed air thru them again to make sure all was clear. Again I tried to start without the line connected to the carb and no gas came out. Can I get some advice on what I should do next please?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

may take bit to prime, quit using starter fluid, and pour small amounts of gas into the carb. throat till it stays running. if the tank was dry, it may take as much as 2-3- gallons for the pump to pick it up
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Depending on the angle of the car, it might not be picking up any of the gallon you put in. put another 2-3 gallons in the tank. Also , do not try to start the car and pour gas in the carb at the same time. will cause a fire. And only put just a little bit in, too much will make it burp back up and cause a fire.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Disconnect line from fuel pump and try sucking gas from tank.. You may be able to blow air into tank, but there may be something in tank preventing gas from coming out.. If gas flows, then your line is also primed... Reconnect to pump and enjoy.

Also, just because you replaced the pump doesnt mean the pump is good... I cant tell you how many bad parts i have bought over the year... I wont leave any part store with a new alternator anymore until they test it... They looked at me crazy until 1 failed that was supposed to be good... Wish there was a way to test every part in store..
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Stop all the disconnecting and air blowing. You need to fill the carb bowl with gas, I do it with a large syrenge through the air horn vent. Once the bowl is full, pump the throttle a couple of times while looking down through the throat and see if it squirts. Now hit the key, it should start and run for at least a minute. That is plenty of time for the fuel pump to pull fuel from the tank and push it to the carb, provided you have 3 or 4 gallons in there, 1 is definately not enough. Good Luck
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Stop all the disconnecting and air blowing. You need to fill the carb bowl with gas, I do it with a large syrenge through the air horn vent. Once the bowl is full, pump the throttle a couple of times while looking down through the throat and see if it squirts. Now hit the key, it should start and run for at least a minute. That is plenty of time for the fuel pump to pull fuel from the tank and push it to the carb, provided you have 3 or 4 gallons in there, 1 is definately not enough. Good Luck
I vote 'best answer"
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Also the '75 has a bladder in the gas tank. If the advice above fails, you may have a collapsed bladder.

Get notified of new replies

To Help I cant get my 75 c3 to run

Quick Reply: Help I cant get my 75 c3 to run