Sponsored by:

82 corvette window roll up problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
rzkas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 corvette window roll up problem

Hi and how are you? My car windows were rolling up and down but after installing new window weather seals my windows don't roll up to the top . What could it be and how do i fix it ? I have a 82 corvette
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rzkas
...my windows don't roll up to the top . What could it be...
The stops at the top of each track.

...and how do i fix it?...
Adjust the stops following the window setting instructions in the assembly instruction manual (AIM) or the chassis service manual.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
rzkas
Racer

Pls someone help me with instructions and guide on how to adjust window stop. I don't have a AIM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

If all you did was replace your A and B pillar weatherstrips, and your door glass worked well before installing the new rubber, I wouldn't be to quick to start readjusting the door glass.

Does your glass go up and down normally, with the doors open? If so, the problem is likely with the B-pillar weatherstrip. Most of the repro B-pillar rubber is very hard. Because of this, it causes more resistance, than the power window motors can overcome.

Some people have had luck with the problem, just by putting a little baby powder or silicone spray, on the weatherstrip. Often, if you put the glass up and then close the door, the weatherstrip will eventually conform to the glass, and the window will start working normally again. It could be months, before this happens though.

There is different rubber on the market. The B-pillar weatherstrips from Lonestar Caliper, are much softer than most of the other brands, and are less likely to cause the problem your experiencing.

By adjusting the glass, you may fix the problem now, but may end up with a bad seal later, after the weatherstrip starts to conform to the glass.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM
raag2
2nd Gear

wow i like this post, this is interesting post.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rzkas
...I don't have a AIM...
Order one. All the vendors carry them. There is no real reason not to have one. You'll find it helpful for most things you will want to do.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Order one. All the vendors carry them. There is no real reason not to have one. You'll find it helpful for most things you will want to do.

Both the AIM and the chassis service manual. Won't regret getting either of them even for a second.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If all you did was replace your A and B pillar weatherstrips, and your door glass worked well before installing the new rubber, I wouldn't be to quick to start readjusting the door glass.

Does your glass go up and down normally, with the doors open? If so, the problem is likely with the B-pillar weatherstrip. Most of the repro B-pillar rubber is very hard. Because of this, it causes more resistance, than the power window motors can overcome.

Some people have had luck with the problem, just by putting a little baby powder or silicone spray, on the weatherstrip. Often, if you put the glass up and then close the door, the weatherstrip will eventually conform to the glass, and the window will start working normally again. It could be months, before this happens though.

There is different rubber on the market. The B-pillar weatherstrips from Lonestar Caliper, are much softer than most of the other brands, and are less likely to cause the problem your experiencing.

By adjusting the glass, you may fix the problem now, but may end up with a bad seal later, after the weatherstrip starts to conform to the glass.

You will open up a more problems if you go the adjustement route. Try whats suggested in the post above first.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
rzkas
Racer

Ok I will try the silicone method. Currently the windows roll up to the top with open doors but struggle to go up and down when door is close

Last edited by rzkas; 08-14-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM
rzkas
Racer

Still struggling with weather strip and window. left and right door glass go up and down freely when doors are open but struggle to go when doors are close and also struggle to come down when doors are close.

when i roll up windows with door open and close the door there is gap at the top of the window. it doesn't sit flush . it stick out and water goes into the car.

silicone did not work

it been over a year since they installed them .
Old 08-14-2015, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

**** PROFESSIONAL COMMENT/ADVICE*****

Keep this in mind....the current weatherstrips that are offered are much denser than the original latex coated weatherstrips. The original type of weatherstrips were soft like a marshmallow. THIS DOES make a difference...and can effect your rollers over time also due to the increased effort that is exerted on the glass when closed.

SO...it is a 'damn if I do...damn if I don't' scenario.

I can talk you through adjusting your door glass much faster than typing it out for hours...BUT...there is STILL a chance that you WILL HAVE TO crack or open your door to get the glass to go all the way up...then shut the door.

BECAUSE>>>>you can NOT expect the glass to flow into and seal against a weatherstrip that is DENSE ...without it binding. AND...if you adjust the glass outwards so it will work with the door shut...how can you expect it to seal if it can not seat itself into the weatherstrip due to being too dense.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 82 corvette window roll up problem

Quick Reply: 82 corvette window roll up problem