Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Parting is such sweet sorrow...

About an hour ago, my '75 was taken away on the back of a trailer. I have owned it for 28 years. It was my very first Corvette. I had so many years of great times and have so many great memories of that car and what it has seen and done. Trips to Breaux Bridge from Houston, the 84 World's Fair, Galveston beach, and cruising Westheimer in the late 80's. It was very sad to see it go, but I just have too many "projects" and not enough resources to get it back on the road. It will be going to Finland to the buyer's son. He is 14 and can legally drive in 4 years. I would guess it will take that long to get it in fine condition. It was sad to see it go and I hate being sentimentally attached to "stuff" but it happens. I got a little lump in my throat watching it go, but it is better to give it a chance of rebirth, than to simply watch it waste away.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Wow, 28 years is a heck of a long time! I think the longest I've ever hung on to a Corvette was 13 years. You do tend to get a little attached to them. Big of you to let it go rather than let it waste away, though.
You can always get another one in the future when it is more favorable to do so.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 AM
cgc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow 28 years. Got me to thinking. I have had my car for 26 years. How time and life flies!

To some people stuff is stuff but stuff can become an extension of our selfs. It helps define who we are. Your car may be gone but you still have all those wonderful memories. Sometime memories is all life leaves us. Now maybe you can get on with the other projects and find the same joy you had with your car.

Keep smiling and looking up.
Charlie
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it's normal for you to feel a sense of loss, but try not to dwell on it. Move forward. Like the first rule of Italian driving: "What's-a behind-a me, does not-a matter!"

Scott
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I had so many years of great times and have so many great memories of that car and what it has seen and done. .... It was very sad to see it go, but I just have too many "projects" and not enough resources to get it back on the road. .... It was sad to see it go and I hate being sentimentally attached to "stuff" but it happens. I got a little lump in my throat watching it go, but it is better to give it a chance of rebirth, than to simply watch it waste away.
I know EXACTLY what you mean, and you are not alone! It will work out for the better though. For me, getting rid of this....
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...80131spare.JPG
...is what allowed me o get this....
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...e1driveway.jpg
So like Charlie said, now you can get on with the other projects!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

That is sad with 28 years of great memories, but you did the right thing if it was just going to sit. I have had my 65 for 41 years and can't imagine parting with it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you keep in touch with them so you can see it come back to life.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagpype
Make sure you keep in touch with them so you can see it come back to life.
They have my email address and said they would send pictures but who knows?

I told my wife that the hearing it was going to Finland to be put back in shape and driven by a new Corvette enthusiast sounded a little to much like the dog that is sent to a farm so he can run free. As adults, we know the reality of that story. I told them if it was going to be hacked up for parts, I didn't want to know about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parting is such sweet sorrow...