Sponsored by:

Where to buy vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Where to buy vinyl

Does anyone know of a place i could buy oyster colored vinyl? I am going to be recovering/restoring my dashboard and would like to not have to dye it. Where do the companies that sell vinyl seat covers get their raw vinyl from?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Corvette America will sell you the vinyl they use, by the square yard. The last time I checked, it was around $40-45 a square yard.

Al Knoch will probably sell it by the yard too.

A local auto upholstery shop, can probably find you vinyl in the appropriate color also.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to use un-backed vinyl for a dash cover.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
You will need to use un-backed vinyl for a dash cover.
Where do you find it, searched everywhere, even local upholstery shop only sell fabric backed one.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Bagpype
Racer

I found some with minimal backing at a local fabric shop here in Atlanta. I may give that a whirl. On these dash boards vinyl with backing wouldn't be too bad I don't think because there's not too much minute detail that the vinyl had to be stretched into like on a hot rod door panel.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I found the partial roll I've got in Georgia too (textiles are huge in GA), but its backing is probably too thick for a dash.

Anyway, do post up with your results.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You know, that's a really good idea. For the price of a new dash, and the liklihood that it might not fit, you could have a good upholsterer sew fabric (or vinyl) onto a dash. Or do it yourself if you are handy with a sewing machine. Having contrasting stitching and light padding under the vinyl could really be great looking.

If you go this route, I would recommend using top grade vinyl. Automotive vinyl is much longer lasting and more tolerant to UV than low grade vinyls. It would be worth the extra money to not have your dash vinyl to get hard, shrink and crack after going to the effort and expense of covering it.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Im thinking about taking the dash out, repairing any cracks, and covering it with one big peice of vinyl. I would use glue and a heat gun to shrink the vinyl around the contours of the dash and cut where I need to cut. Corvette America does indeed sell their vinyl FWIW. Am I dreaming or will this not work?

Last edited by Bagpype; 12-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The product you're looking for is "unbacked artificial leather" (pvc). Common trade name in Europe was Rexine, MB-Tex, or Artico.
It is heated to a pliable state to also activate the adhesive and then vacuum formed to rigid pieces.

http://www.nilcoindustries.com/Highland.html

http://www.premierpoly.com/polyrex.htm

You may get a lead from these guys for small quantities.
It might work by hand and a heat gun for simple stuff.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If only 3M would make a leather pattern version of their Di-Noc wrap, that would be cool.
It seems it can be worked into very complex shapes, but I don't want the fake carbon fiber look.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Originally Posted by Denpo
If only 3M would make a leather pattern version of their Di-Noc wrap, that would be cool.
It seems it can be worked into very complex shapes, but I don't want the fake carbon fiber look.
Yeah I saw that in my searches. I wonder if they could make some. I can't imagine it would be to difficult them to do that however. It would probably be an expensive endeavor.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
Where do you find it, searched everywhere, even local upholstery shop only sell fabric backed one.
I've never been able to find any either. For another project, I used fabric store vinyl and found that with a little heat applied I could remove the backing. The trouble with the fabric store vinyl is that you never know if it is really good quality or not relative to being UV stable.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Guys, Noonie just gave two good sources of where to find the unbacked pvc vinyl imitation leather. Theres one in New Jersey I believe. Now we just need to see if they sell small amounts or where they have a dealer who will.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Well I found a source. It is in New Jersey. A place called Sommers Plastics. They indeed sell a non backed pvc. As soon as I can get someone on the phone from there I will be going forward with the dash restoration. I will photo document the process and post it in another thread as soon an I am done with good results.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Progress Bagpype?
My dashboard was so brittle after sitting for years in the Georgia (previous owner) that when I went to pull out the defroster vent, I cracked the dash. (it did't take any pressure at all to crack that stuff) Now I'm looking to make a good looking repair.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Bagpype
Racer

I found the unbacked vinyl but i have decided to try a padded dash filler and a Spray texture. Im going to follow what this guy did.. http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=40758.0
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are going to remove and repair the dash, I don't understand your reluctance to dye it. Spray dyeing a vinyl/plastic component is about as easy as any job gets, when working on a C3. You just need to have a 1/2 pint of SEM liquid "ColorCoat" dye mixed to whatever color you want (oyster or any other choice), clean the part and let dry, put dye in a PreVal bottle/gas sprayer ($10 at most paint stores), and spray it like you would with a spray can. It doesn't get much easier. And, that option would cost less than half what the vinyl material would cost...let alone the expense or grief of upholstering the dash might be.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy vinyl

Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you are going to remove and repair the dash, I don't understand your reluctance to dye it. Spray dyeing a vinyl/plastic component is about as easy as any job gets, when working on a C3. You just need to have a 1/2 pint of SEM liquid "ColorCoat" dye mixed to whatever color you want (oyster or any other choice), clean the part and let dry, put dye in a PreVal bottle/gas sprayer ($10 at most paint stores), and spray it like you would with a spray can. It doesn't get much easier. And, that option would cost less than half what the vinyl material would cost...let alone the expense or grief of upholstering the dash might be.
As per my last post, I am dyeing it. Recovering it is going to be a total pain in the ***.

Last edited by Bagpype; 01-12-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: utter smootheness. and Swype on Android can make you look like an *******.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem is that my car sat for many years in the Georgia sun. The dash is downright brittle. You can crack the vinyl with gentle pressure. The foam beneath has also lost all it's cushon. Do you think the repair method shown on that T/A would still work?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
My problem is that my car sat for many years in the Georgia sun. The dash is downright brittle. You can crack the vinyl with gentle pressure. The foam beneath has also lost all it's cushon. Do you think the repair method shown on that T/A would still work?
I think so. As long as you arent poking at the dash randomly it should work. The filler is supposedly pliable. If your dash is too far gone a replacement may be the best alternative for you. Ive seen used ones in good condition on ebay for under half the price of a new repro. And through my restoration journey i have learned that used is almost always better than new as far as placement and fitting.

Quick Reply: Where to buy vinyl